PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] External HDD Repository?

Linuxson25
September 2nd, 2010, 07:54 AM
Hi

I use AptonCD to make regular backups of all apt installed packages, and store them on my external USB HDD. Is there a way that I can add that specific folder with all the packages on the external to my software sources list? I know you can add CDROM's. It's just really a shlep having to individually double click and install each and every one, as I am still a noob at this thing...lol. It would just make life easier, as Synaptic would then sort out all dependencies, cause it seems that you need to install them in a certain order. Just double clicking the package files and installing them that way, normally leaves me with a "dependencies unsatisfied" error

Thanx

lechien73
September 2nd, 2010, 10:52 AM
You can add a line to the /etc/apt/sources.list file, which should do this for you.

For the following example, I'm assuming the following: you're using Lucid, your USB hard disk is mounted on /media/disk, and the APTonCD repository is in the folder "repo/ubuntu".

To edit the /etc/apt/sources.list file, type:

gksu gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

Add the following line:

deb file:/media/disk/repo/ubuntu/ lucid main restricted universe multiverse

Save the file and quit from gedit. Then, with your USB disk connected and mounted, type:

sudo apt-get update

Your USB disk will now be added as a local repository.

Linuxson25
September 2nd, 2010, 02:02 PM
Thanx lechien73

Not sure if there is a big difference between physically editing the source.list file, or adding the source with Synaptic? I tried the latter, and it won't accept. Error pops up all the time: http://pastebin.com/GWXk878s

PS: I am using karmic

lechien73
September 2nd, 2010, 02:15 PM
Could you post the output of:

ls /media/AnthonyHDD/ubuntuBackup/20100828/dists/karmic

It would be interesting to see what is in that directory.

Thanks