PDA

View Full Version : Home Theater System of Choice

wilbbe01
September 2nd, 2010, 05:40 AM
I am curious of what some of the ubuntu community thinks of the best home theater media center options out there. I looked at an apple tv (at that new price how could one go wrong?), but I like more freedom than I'm afraid apple will give me. I have some friends who have blu ray players which include a bunch of apps for different online services Then there are my piles of old computers sitting around my house which seem like they should be helping the cause.

I'm hoping I can find something that can get me HD video with surround sound and preferably blu ray. I don't want to be corralled into a little corner of only being allowed certain online websites to stream my video from (although hulu alone would cover most of my needs). Basically a product that gets updates frequently as new services online come up, is customizable to some extent, and inexpensive (house payments suck so I have to sacrifice).

Does anyone have any suggestions? I ask here because I am guessing people in an open source community will have some better ideas about accomplishing great things with cheap stuff, as well as hopefully some recommendations on some stand alone (not pc based per se) products which people have found to be great.

Thanks much for your opinions/comments.

drawkcab
September 2nd, 2010, 03:54 PM
I am curious of what some of the ubuntu community thinks of the best home theater media center options out there. I looked at an apple tv (at that new price how could one go wrong?), but I like more freedom than I'm afraid apple will give me. I have some friends who have blu ray players which include a bunch of apps for different online services Then there are my piles of old computers sitting around my house which seem like they should be helping the cause.

I'm hoping I can find something that can get me HD video with surround sound and preferably blu ray. I don't want to be corralled into a little corner of only being allowed certain online websites to stream my video from (although hulu alone would cover most of my needs). Basically a product that gets updates frequently as new services online come up, is customizable to some extent, and inexpensive (house payments suck so I have to sacrifice).

Does anyone have any suggestions? I ask here because I am guessing people in an open source community will have some better ideas about accomplishing great things with cheap stuff, as well as hopefully some recommendations on some stand alone (not pc based per se) products which people have found to be great.

Thanks much for your opinions/comments.

I think if you buy a stand alone product at this time you will run into the problems that you want to avoid.

I think your best, most flexible bet is still buying something like an atom-based nettop and then using xbmc, boxee or the like to convert it to an htpc. Right now, an atom ion device running windows will get you everything you want. Getting linux to play with with hd video files and blu ray on lower-end devices takes some serious work right now. Netflix, of course, is not supported in linux.

uRock
September 2nd, 2010, 03:57 PM
My future system will consist of 15,000-20,000 watts of Peavey and/or Marshall stacks connected to the stereo/tv/pc for foundation rumbling power.

kamaboko
September 2nd, 2010, 04:07 PM
The basics...

I would suggest a micro-atx board (because I prefer small cases), the lowest watt dual core processor you can find (AMD has current 65 watters), a fanless ATI 5000 series HDMI video card so you can pass audio/video through the HDMI cable to your receiver, a 60GB SSD for the OS, and Windows 7 Home Premium because it will support TrueHD. Get a copy of PowerDVD for bluray which will support TrueHD. You will have a rockin' system.

LowSky
September 2nd, 2010, 04:11 PM
drawkcab an atom based PC will not play flash very well, even with an ION chipset. and wilbbe01 said hulu was very important.

wilbbe01 not knowing what you have lying around in computer equipment, I will have to give you a list of what you will need for a cheap yet amazing home theater set up. Hopefully you have some of it.

A Processor with 3GHZ or a Dual core at 2Ghz
2GB of RAM
A very decent size hard drive for HD recordings... it can be over 6GB an hour for HD recording in 1080i
A motherboard with 5.1 onboard sound or a video card with HDMI out
Nividia 8500GT or newer to support VDPAU
Blu-Ray is going to be possilbe but it isn't very easy.. the DRM of the discs is the issue
TV tuner card to record shows... get one that has two digital tuners. the HVR-2250 is very well supported. this way you can record on and watch another... it may even be possible to record more than two at a time

the product you can use to do this is MythTV. Its very customizable and free.. all it requires is time and patience to get used to. Hulu Desktop and Boxee can be incorporated directly into it. it records TV and can be used to watch stored videos and play mp3s too

samalex
September 2nd, 2010, 04:51 PM
Honestly we have a Sony BluRay player we spent $150 for through Amazon, and it does Netflix, Pandora, Slacker Radio, Youtube, Podcasting, and a ton of other apps, plus we can rent movies through Amazon which I think has more of a selection (and cheaper in many cases) than iTunes. Also Sony is saying Hulu Plus will be out as a new app later this year, so bonus there as well!

We have a second generation AppleTV, but honestly since getting our BluRay player with all the bells and whistles our AppleTV hasn't even been turned on in months. The main thing I used our AppleTV for is video podcasting, but I don't guess that'll be possible on the new AppleTV unless a secondary media server was running, which I don't care to use. The new AppleTV with no storage is destined to be a fail IMO, and I think the only people who'll use it are those without access to PPV or Red Box, which are few and far between now'days.

As for your solution, I'd say get a nice BluRay player, which I can't say anything bad about our Sony.

Sam

asddf
September 2nd, 2010, 05:41 PM
I'll be getting the Boxee Box when it comes out in a couple of months.

I've been using Boxee on my computer for a few months and it's pure awesome.

Boxee allows custom apps and theres lots of them, so new stuff all the time, it also allows streaming via wi-fi from your computers, it's apps also contain netflix etc but also custom stuff.

It also allows RSS feeds, so you can get updated versions of online shows you follow.

kamaboko
September 2nd, 2010, 06:51 PM
I think your choice also depends on if you're going to rip dvd's as well as listen to music. I can't tell you how much better running your sound via HDMI into a receiver is. Prior to this I was running optical out via the HTPC to my receiver. It was OK, but not stellar. There is a noticeable difference. If what I've mentioned isn't important to you, then the other solutions mentioned might be better.

wilbbe01
September 3rd, 2010, 02:51 AM
drawkcab an atom based PC will not play flash very well, even with an ION chipset. and wilbbe01 said hulu was very important.

wilbbe01 not knowing what you have lying around in computer equipment, I will have to give you a list of what you will need for a cheap yet amazing home theater set up. Hopefully you have some of it.

A Processor with 3GHZ or a Dual core at 2Ghz
2GB of RAM
A very decent size hard drive for HD recordings... it can be over 6GB an hour for HD recording in 1080i
A motherboard with 5.1 onboard sound or a video card with HDMI out
Nividia 8500GT or newer to support VDPAU
Blu-Ray is going to be possilbe but it isn't very easy.. the DRM of the discs is the issue
TV tuner card to record shows... get one that has two digital tuners. the HVR-2250 is very well supported. this way you can record on and watch another... it may even be possible to record more than two at a time

the product you can use to do this is MythTV. Its very customizable and free.. all it requires is time and patience to get used to. Hulu Desktop and Boxee can be incorporated directly into it. it records TV and can be used to watch stored videos and play mp3s too

I have something laying around very similar to that, minus the tv tuner card. Actually, extremely similar. I'm curious about the Blu-Ray is not going to be easy part. I'll have to look into that. I used to use that machine to play games, but now it kind of just sits there unless I'm using RealFlight. I appreciate your advice. I like the sound of this idea because it is already sitting almost ready to go. I lack HDMI (8800gt), but DVI would work I guess too.

I actually played with MythTV a few years ago and wasn't very happy with it, but I think that was because I wasn't dedicating that box to MythTV.

Either this or that Sony recommendation I think sounds the best. Cheap enough, yet I wouldn't have to manage the OS/etc nearly as much as with a standalone system. Maybe I'll wait and see if they really do come out with a hulu app.

Thanks much for your advice all.

wilbbe01
September 3rd, 2010, 02:54 AM
I'll be getting the Boxee Box when it comes out in a couple of months.

I've been using Boxee on my computer for a few months and it's pure awesome.

Boxee allows custom apps and theres lots of them, so new stuff all the time, it also allows streaming via wi-fi from your computers, it's apps also contain netflix etc but also custom stuff.

It also allows RSS feeds, so you can get updated versions of online shows you follow.

I know two people who won one each of those Boxee Boxes at a contest Boxee put on. Lucky people. I like this idea too, but the relations with Hulu scares me.

Thanks for the suggestions.

wilbbe01
September 3rd, 2010, 02:56 AM
I think your choice also depends on if you're going to rip dvd's as well as listen to music. I can't tell you how much better running your sound via HDMI into a receiver is. Prior to this I was running optical out via the HTPC to my receiver. It was OK, but not stellar. There is a noticeable difference. If what I've mentioned isn't important to you, then the other solutions mentioned might be better.

I really like your ideas as well, but I'm not sure I can authorize myself to spend such sums of money on a system like that. Solid state drive would be cool, but that alone is going to cost just as much if not more than the other solutions. Maybe in 20 years I'll be able to afford something like that.

Thanks for the suggestions though, much appreciated.

wilbbe01
September 3rd, 2010, 02:59 AM
Honestly we have a Sony BluRay player we spent $150 for through Amazon, and it does Netflix, Pandora, Slacker Radio, Youtube, Podcasting, and a ton of other apps, plus we can rent movies through Amazon which I think has more of a selection (and cheaper in many cases) than iTunes. Also Sony is saying Hulu Plus will be out as a new app later this year, so bonus there as well!

We have a second generation AppleTV, but honestly since getting our BluRay player with all the bells and whistles our AppleTV hasn't even been turned on in months. The main thing I used our AppleTV for is video podcasting, but I don't guess that'll be possible on the new AppleTV unless a secondary media server was running, which I don't care to use. The new AppleTV with no storage is destined to be a fail IMO, and I think the only people who'll use it are those without access to PPV or Red Box, which are few and far between now'days.

As for your solution, I'd say get a nice BluRay player, which I can't say anything bad about our Sony.

Sam

If hulu for sure existed this solution would be extremely tempting....maybe I will try LowSky's suggestion for a while and see how some of these standalone blu ray players evolve over the next year or so.

Thank you for your advice.

djyoung4
September 3rd, 2010, 09:56 AM
Check my signature. The top one is my home theater system connected to a 37 inch vizio and some bigger speakers. XBMC and mythtv running as well as rhythmbox for all my music needs. works for me

addison.merchut
September 7th, 2010, 02:29 AM
So can anyone say anything about running HD content over a local internet? For example, if I want to store all my HD content on a headless server in my basement, and send it over my wireless network to another computer that I would use for my home theater in the ...movie room, what kind of hardware should I be looking into? I figured I would connect the computers via sshfs; mounting the server's directories on the HT's. Is there a better way to get the movies on to my home theater?

Also, would it really be convenient/logical to have the tv tuner card on the basement server? And good call on getting the card with 2 tuners.

Thanks,
AM

[Update] Just glancing through this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1456784&highlight=home+theater) thread; this may have the info I'm looking for.

Dustin2128
September 7th, 2010, 02:36 AM
as soon as my graphics card arrives in the mail, I'm going to be rigging my old desktop as a media center, plugged into my TV. I'll be able to record anything that comes up on screen, and I'll even setup a buffer so I never have to sit through commercials. Mythbuntu is specially designed for that kind of thing.

Spr0k3t
September 7th, 2010, 07:25 AM
Here's what I have on my media network.

Primary Media Center and Frontend:
- Antec Fusion Black 430 case
- Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-US2H
- Athlon 64 X2 1.4GHz
- 4GB mem
- nVidia 9500GT
- 80GB Primary (main OS)
- 1.5TB Live Media (Recorded shows, internet streams)

Backend Server (essentially nothing more than a NAS):
- Athlon 64 X2 1.4GHz
- 1GB mem
- Haupauge HVR-1600 X2
- 80GB Primary (main OS)
- 1.5TB X2 RAID

Second Frontend:
Details of this system are not important, just the ability to sit down and watch recorded video content, stream off the backend server, or hit the internet sites somewhere. This is my primary desktop. Mythfrontend is set up on this computer system. Would be nice if I could run myth in a resizable window or designate the output to a second monitor (which I'm sure is possible, just haven't dug that far into it). This system has a PCTV-5500 tuner... but it's dedicated for recording only and not used for live viewing.

Third Frontend:
Kids computer system. All content on the mythserver has been rated accordingly. That way my 6 year old can't go and watch something like chainsaw massacre without my password approval.

Fourth Frontend:
Laptop that has been converted over to a kitchen appliance and mounted with a swing arm to keep it out of the way while cooking. Stores recipes, notes, and connects with the Mythserver. This laptop is an old 1.3GHz with only a single gig of mem. The graphics chip is an Intel 915. The playback over the network is still very smooth with the compressed media.

Android Phone:
Connects to any of the mythtv connected computer systems to function as remote or control music playback.

All of this is connected via gigabit switch with the exception of the laptop. The laptop connects around 54mbit solid. For blu-ray, that's what the PS3 is for. Each computer system in the house is set for connecting to the mythtv backend. I keep a backup of the data drives off site for safe keeping. I don't even touch my DVDs anymore.

The main part, having a central computer system to handle the recording/flagging/saving of the media files is fantastic. Watching live 1080p media on almost any computer in the house is awesome (slideshow on wireless). All this can be done with a single computer system though... just depends on how wild you want to take it.

DemonBob
September 7th, 2010, 08:12 AM
Here's what I have on my media network.

Primary Media Center and Frontend:
- Antec Fusion Black 430 case
- Athlon 64 X2 1.4GHz
- 4GB mem
- nVidia 9500GT
- 80GB Primary (main OS)
- 1.5TB Live Media (Recorded shows, internet streams)

Backend Server (essentially nothing more than a NAS):
- Athlon 64 X2 1.4GHz
- 1GB mem
- Haupauge HVR-1600 X2
- 80GB Primary (main OS)
- 1.5TB X2 RAID

Second Frontend:
Details of this system are not important, just the ability to sit down and watch recorded video content, stream off the backend server, or hit the internet sites somewhere. This is my primary desktop. Mythfrontend is set up on this computer system. Would be nice if I could run myth in a resizable window or designate the output to a second monitor (which I'm sure is possible, just haven't dug that far into it). This system has a PCTV-5500 tuner... but it's dedicated for recording only and not used for live viewing.

Third Frontend:
Kids computer system. All content on the mythserver has been rated accordingly. That way my 6 year old can't go and watch something like chainsaw massacre without my password approval.

Fourth Frontend:
Laptop that has been converted over to a kitchen appliance and mounted with a swing arm to keep it out of the way while cooking. Stores recipes, notes, and connects with the Mythserver. This laptop is an old 1.3GHz with only a single gig of mem. The graphics chip is an Intel 915. The playback over the network is still very smooth with the compressed media.

Android Phone:
Connects to any of the mythtv connected computer systems to function as remote or control music playback.

All of this is connected via gigabit switch with the exception of the laptop. The laptop connects around 54mbit solid. For blu-ray, that's what the PS3 is for. Each computer system in the house is set for connecting to the mythtv backend. I keep a backup of the data drives off site for safe keeping. I don't even touch my DVDs anymore.

The main part, having a central computer system to handle the recording/flagging/saving of the media files is fantastic. Watching live 1080p media on almost any computer in the house is awesome (slideshow on wireless). All this can be done with a single computer system though... just depends on how wild you want to take it.

I have almost the same setup, minus the phone, and kitchen. I do however have Acer Revo's working as frontends for all the TV's.

Johnsie
September 7th, 2010, 10:17 AM
Wow, I see alot of overkill here. You don't need a supercomputer to watch/store videos. Maybe I'm a cheapskate, but I'm using a relatively low spec desktop and it's just fine. The reason I don't spend alot of money is that I don't really watch alot of TV, so the system spends alot of time idling. I think if I invested a little more in the system it would be alot better viewing experience, but as I said I'm not that into TV.

DemonBob
September 7th, 2010, 10:33 AM
Wow, I see alot of overkill here. You don't need a supercomputer to watch/store videos. Maybe I'm a cheapskate, but I'm using a relatively low spec desktop and it's just fine. The reason I don't spend alot of money is that I don't really watch alot of TV, so the system spends alot of time idling. I think if I invested a little more in the system it would be alot better viewing experience, but as I said I'm not that into TV.

It varies from user to user. Some of us do like tv, and have family whom have there favorite shows recorded every week. I record roughly 250 episodes of different shows a in a two week period on two tuners. Thats not accounting the amount of live tv that automatically records while being watched on the other tuners. You take into account that after the shows are recorded they have to be transcoded, and commercial flagged while other shows have started recording. It does add up.

I just re installed my entire setup from scratch when i upgraded to mythbuntu 10.04 at the end of July, and already have 1 month 20 days 11 hrs 38 mins of total recording time on the server. It adds up after a while. My mythtv is recording one show right at this moment, and it fluxes between 10% CPU and 15%.

Spr0k3t
September 7th, 2010, 01:14 PM
To give you an idea, I don't watch TV very much. I only watch something I already know and have researched extensively about it. My collection of documentaries, movies, music, and TV shows I've enjoyed over the last twenty years are all archived and available at my fingertips. It's much better than cable, satellite, or even internet. When new movies come out that I want to actually see, I purchase them and add the main video to the collection. I have kids that enjoy certain TV shows and those shows are recorded for them without commercials. It may be major overkill, but the setup is near flawless for what I was after.

Oh yeah, I can schedule show recordings on my phone when I'm across town. Almost forgot about that one.