PDA

View Full Version : I need a new online hobby NOW.

adamjkok
September 2nd, 2010, 01:30 AM
Okay, so I loved going in the Ustream chatroom of a local radio station, but my little sister decided it was okay to go there as well and one of the DJs banned our IP. I don't know what she said, but now the IP is banned, and the modem is in a compartment behind a panel that's behind a very heavy bookcase so I can't just unplug it without moving everything (not to mention that it's in my sister's closet and I'm not allowed in her room).

Anyway, now that hobby is no longer an option until my ISP changes the IP (which usually takes close to a year, and it just happened a few weeks ago), I need something else to do. Anything online that's really fun? And wouldn't leave questionable logs on the router admin panel which I don't have access to (it's not the default admin login - the username is my dad's name)?

smellyman
September 2nd, 2010, 02:02 AM
hmmmm....that sounds like great banning to me. Consider yourself lucky from having to listen to radio DJ's.

adamjkok
September 2nd, 2010, 02:48 AM
Never mind... ISP "answered my prayers!"

sixstorm
September 2nd, 2010, 03:19 AM
Never mind... ISP "answered my prayers!"

Thanks for sharing your external IP addy. ;)

adamjkok
September 2nd, 2010, 03:27 AM
Thanks for sharing your external IP addy. ;)
You do realize that it's natted, and the services that are open are on nonstandard ports with a very strong password policy. I would use RSA keys and crap, but it needs to at least be short enough to remember and use on any computer. It's all psuedorandom, though. Not telling you specifics about the password policy (well, not a real "policy," but I'm the only human user), but it's VERY strong. The Ubuntu installer even said "strong," which is nearly impossible to do. Good luck breaking in.

mendhak
September 2nd, 2010, 08:43 AM
World.
Of.
Warcraft.

murderslastcrow
September 2nd, 2010, 09:40 AM
That's nice. While I would personally take the chance to find something as beneficial as possible to replace the hobby, like perhaps a quick jog and some time in town looking at things, and getting to know people, I understand how you would want to replace what you might find sheerly fun with more sheer fun.

Perhaps in the future you could replace it with writing a personal blog and carefully articulating ideas that are important to you, or topics that should be discussed, rather than merely finding content to consume (not that it's bad or anything, just might be more fulfilling).

But yeah, hobbies are a beautiful part of human. Almost entirely arbitrary until we instil meaning in them.

t0p
September 2nd, 2010, 02:04 PM
Good luck breaking in.

Oh dear. It looks like you've ended up giving some of this forum's naughty members a new hobby: trying to break into your box.

I hope your "strong" yet "short enough to remember" password really is as good as good as you believe.

whiskeylover
September 2nd, 2010, 02:17 PM
Oh dear. It looks like you've ended up giving some of this forum's naughty members a new hobby: trying to break into your box.

I hope your "strong" yet "short enough to remember" password really is as good as good as you believe.

^ This. Its never a good idea to challenge random internet users to break into your computer.

samalex
September 2nd, 2010, 02:29 PM
Just a side note to the OP, if you have access to the admin website of your router, go in and change the Mac Address by one character then release your DHCP lease. Generally the ISP will have the lease of the old IP to the old Mac and changing the Mac will give you a new IP.

You mentioned you couldn't reboot it, but I know for me just rebooting my router doesn't always get a new IP because the lease is still valid the the Mac address. But if rebooting is ever needed, just do it from the breaker :)

donkyhotay
September 2nd, 2010, 02:35 PM
^ This. Its never a good idea to challenge random internet users to break into your computer.

Agreed, on the other hand you now have your new hobby... keeping random internet users out of your computer until your IP address resets again. (c;

slackthumbz
September 2nd, 2010, 02:43 PM
RuneScape. Like World of Warcraft but it runs in-browser as a java app and so is much more cross platform than WoW. Has a free version which is fairly big and the subscription for the members version is incredibly cheap.

Also the graphics can scale quite well depending on your hardware capability. Looks great on my dual core amd64 box with an nVidia graphics card but can also scale down to run on my netbook.

undecim
September 2nd, 2010, 03:24 PM
You do realize that it's natted,
Routers have vulnerabilities. It's been in the news a little lately, specifically stuff about default router passwords. I hope you changed yours.

and the services that are open are on nonstandard ports
One word: Nmap

[QUOTE=adamjkok;9795328]with a very strong password policy. I would use RSA keys and crap, but it needs to at least be short enough to remember and use on any computer. It's all psuedorandom, though. Not telling you specifics about the password policy (well, not a real "policy," but I'm the only human user), but it's VERY strong. The Ubuntu installer even said "strong," which is nearly impossible to do. Good luck breaking in.
Can't argue against a strong password, but I don't see the problem with RSA keys. But, it just takes one vulnerability to get past a password. Granted vulnerabilities aren't very common for the most common *nix services, but still...

Not trying to be confrontational or anything here, just saying no one is as secure as they think they are. Probably nothing will happen, but it's still not a good idea to post your IP addy, especially on a forum like there where many users are running SSH or similar services that can be used to compromise a system.

undecim
September 2nd, 2010, 03:27 PM
RuneScape. Like World of Warcraft but it runs in-browser as a java app and so is much more cross platform than WoW. Has a free version which is fairly big and the subscription for the members version is incredibly cheap.

Also the graphics can scale quite well depending on your hardware capability. Looks great on my dual core amd64 box with an nVidia graphics card but can also scale down to run on my netbook.

I haven't played RS in forever... I liked that it was cross-platform, but it seemed to get progressively worse and worse the longer I played.

I play Regnum nowadays. I still haven't been able to get it to run on my Linux laptop with an Intel card, but I suspect that anyone with an nVidia card would be able to use it just fine. (there is a native Linux version of the game)

conundrumx
September 2nd, 2010, 03:52 PM
Public/private key authentication is the bee's knees. My phone has one set of keys, my laptop another. If I lose one (or it becomes compromised) I can remove the offending key from my servers. Strong RSA key authentication (2048 or better) with password authentication disabled is one of the most secure states an SSH server can be in.

Random_Dude
September 2nd, 2010, 04:02 PM
Play some FPSs on your computer, like Openarena or Enemy Territory.

julio_cortez
September 2nd, 2010, 04:05 PM
but my little sister decided it was okay to go there as well and one of the DJs banned our IPIf it happens again, your new hobby could easily be "make your sister move the bookcase and unplug the modem".. But I guess my suggestion is not useful anymore, at least for now :p

@Random_Dude: is it Hobbes in your avatar? :D

Random_Dude
September 2nd, 2010, 05:37 PM
@Random_Dude: is it Hobbes in your avatar? :D

Oh yes indeed!

Hobbes rocks!!! :guitar:

Spice Weasel
September 2nd, 2010, 05:43 PM
Play some FPSs on your computer, like Openarena or Enemy Territory.

Why not just regular Quake 3? It's free to download the executables, and has loads more servers to play on with lots of different modifications. (Defrag, CPMA, ExcessivePlus to name a few.)

Random_Dude
September 2nd, 2010, 05:47 PM
Why not just regular Quake 3? It's free to download the executables, and has loads more servers to play on with lots of different modifications. (Defrag, CPMA, ExcessivePlus to name a few.)

I didn't know you could play Quake 3 on Linux for free. :o

I've got to give that a try.:D

Spice Weasel
September 2nd, 2010, 06:10 PM
I didn't know you could play Quake 3 on Linux for free. :o

I've got to give that a try.:D

The executables are free and open source, but the data files aren't. Contact me.

Random_Dude
September 2nd, 2010, 06:57 PM
The executables are free and open source, but the data files aren't.

Lol.
Well that was too good to be true. Not much of a reason for existing an openarena if quake 3 was free.

Anyway, it's a good info if you have a legal copy of the data files.

Cheers :cool:

donkyhotay
September 2nd, 2010, 07:04 PM
Lol.
Well that was too good to be true. Not much of a reason for existing an openarena if quake 3 was free.

Anyway, it's a good info if you have a legal copy of the data files.

Cheers :cool:

If you like quake3 there are many mods out there that use the FOSS binary and have their own custom data files. One of my favorites is World of Padman. It's got that fast quake feel to it but with evil smurfs instead of the stanard quake characters.

akoskm
September 2nd, 2010, 07:58 PM
Travian maybe?

Austin25
September 2nd, 2010, 08:09 PM
Just a side note to the OP, if you have access to the admin website of your router, go in and change the Mac Address by one character then release your DHCP lease. Generally the ISP will have the lease of the old IP to the old Mac and changing the Mac will give you a new IP.

You mentioned you couldn't reboot it, but I know for me just rebooting my router doesn't always get a new IP because the lease is still valid the the Mac address. But if rebooting is ever needed, just do it from the breaker :)
<offtopic> Oh, that reminds me of a good story. It was late at night, and the light was still on. I was too lazy to get up and turn it off, but there was a lamp beside me without a lightbulb in it. I threw a penny in the socket, and it tripped the breaker, turning out the lights. Maybe a couple hours later, dad comes in mad as a cow in Canada, yelling at me to go downstairs and turn on the breaker. Turns out his room was on the same circuit. </offtopic>

Random_Dude
September 2nd, 2010, 08:23 PM
If you like quake3 there are many mods out there that use the FOSS binary and have their own custom data files. One of my favorites is World of Padman. It's got that fast quake feel to it but with evil smurfs instead of the stanard quake characters.

I have to try that one. So far I've only tried openarena, enemy territory, alien arena (I think) and Warsow (too fast for me and had some issues with the graphics).

It's too bad none of this games goes mainstream.
I don't see as many clans as other games have. Not that I plan to join a clan who takes gaming too seriouly, I don't have time for this kind of thing anymore. :???:

Still, it would be cool to see some big competitions in these games.;)

Denis Krajnc
September 2nd, 2010, 09:05 PM
It's good to do something productive like learn some programming languages. Personally I check forums based on healthy eating & activitys daily and you can learn a lot. You can so improve your lifestyle trust me. Games are for kids.

98cwitr
September 2nd, 2010, 09:53 PM
Play COD MW2 like the rest of society.

DogMatix
September 2nd, 2010, 11:44 PM
Tribalwars (http://www.tribalwars.co.uk/)