PDA

View Full Version : iPod Click Wheel is in the Hospice?

devondashla
September 2nd, 2010, 01:06 AM
The new iPod Nano (which I plan to get after I hear if it works with Linux) now has a touch screen.

http://www.apple.com/ipodnano/

Now, the only current iPod model with a click wheel is the iPod Classic. Do you think they'll keep the classic? I currently use an iPod Classic 80 GB, and well, it was just something my sis gave to me after she never used it. I don't like using it, because I know I'll never use over 10 GB of it, and it says something *ahem* "personal" on the back from her husband. I love how the new iPod Nano looks, and I'd love to use it. But, I'm starting to wonder if the Click Wheel will still be relevant a year from now.

Thoughts?

adamjkok
September 2nd, 2010, 01:10 AM
Just my two cents:

I'm guessing it will stay on the classic and only the classic, because why else would we call that the classic?

devondashla
September 2nd, 2010, 01:13 AM
Just my two cents:

I'm guessing it will stay on the classic and only the classic, because why else would we call that the classic?

Well, what if they just decide to drop the Classic? The only thing it has going on for is storage, and I think it's ridiculous that anyone would ever need 160 GB of music. THAT'S BIGGER THAN MY MAIN COMPUTER'S HARD DRIVE.

Linye
September 2nd, 2010, 01:17 AM
Well, what if they just decide to drop the Classic? The only thing it has going on for is storage, and I think it's ridiculous that anyone would ever need 160 GB of music. THAT'S BIGGER THAN MY MAIN COMPUTER'S HARD DRIVE.

There's people with more than that.

Mike'sHardLinux
September 2nd, 2010, 01:18 AM
The iPod can also play video. I have known people who have TV show episodes, cartoons, and even movies on their iPods. Videos take up a lot more space than MP3s.

3rdalbum
September 2nd, 2010, 01:34 AM
Lol, according to that website the Nano has multitouch. How is anybody going to fit more than one finger onto it?

Looks like it would be annoying to browse your music on there too.

Another generation and you'll be able to fit it into your rectum.(bash.org reference) ;)

Linye
September 2nd, 2010, 01:46 AM
Here's a vid to see it in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKJP_RRt0_8

3rdalbum
September 2nd, 2010, 03:19 AM
Here's a vid to see it in action.

I don't want to click that link in case you were replying to the bit about fitting it into your rectum. :-P

schauerlich
September 2nd, 2010, 06:38 AM
I think they'll keep the iPod Classic because they want to have a high capacity device on the market, and flash storage is not cheap enough currently to support a thin multitouch style device. Once that is possible, I think it will be absorbed by the iPod Touch line.

drawkcab
September 2nd, 2010, 03:45 PM
I think they'll keep the iPod Classic because they want to have a high capacity device on the market, and flash storage is not cheap enough currently to support a thin multitouch style device. Once that is possible, I think it will be absorbed by the iPod Touch line.

Right. I would love to have 160gb of music on my player!

NCLI
September 2nd, 2010, 04:05 PM

Lol, no.

http://imgur.com/kutU6.png

julio_cortez
September 2nd, 2010, 04:30 PM
I think it's ridiculous that anyone would ever need 160 GB of music. THAT'S BIGGER THAN MY MAIN COMPUTER'S HARD DRIVE.
I agree I don't need all of that space on a portable device. My 2GB stick is more than enough (as I choose time by time what I'd like to listen to).
But, you see, there are people taht want all of their media library on a portable device..

If I were one of those, probably 160 GB of storage wouldn't be enough:

I have a 320 GB external disk shared between music and videos.

I've transcoded quite all my father's music cassettes and CDs to mp3, and several of his DVDs to divx, reaching almost 200 GB of media.
If you consider that in addition I have a 20GB folder just for the music I use while DJing, you will realize that 160 GBs are quite a few.

Linye
September 2nd, 2010, 04:58 PM
i don't want to click that link in case you were replying to the bit about fitting it into your rectum. :-p

lol!

spupy
September 2nd, 2010, 08:15 PM
The "new" iPod Shuffle has a wheel. Again.

schauerlich
September 2nd, 2010, 08:23 PM
The "new" iPod Shuffle has a wheel. Again.

But it's 34.29% smaller!*

* this number is completely made up

Random_Dude
September 2nd, 2010, 08:50 PM
Lol, no.

http://imgur.com/kutU6.png

That is bigger than my laptop hard-drive. :o

I don't I would need 160GB on a portable device. I just want to listen to music, and when I'm tired of listening to the same thing, I'll just change the songs on the player.

Cheers :cool: