PDA

View Full Version : UK DSL providers - recommendations

renzokuken
April 7th, 2006, 04:41 PM
Ok, first off, if this is in the wrong area then apologies but didnt seem to fit anywhere else.

I am currently on Pipex DSL broadband, 512mb speed. However, for obvious reasons, they have limited/throttled all non-internet-direct downloads to around a third of the speed i should be achieving (this is not just me, but everyone on this package/service). i.e. my torrent speed sucks balls at the mo.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a decent porvider in the UK for aDSL that has UNLIMITED downloads and doesnt cap their speeds.

Where i live the exchange will only allow speeds of 512mb cos the exchange is old and i live in the middle of no-where.

Thanks

christhemonkey
April 7th, 2006, 04:46 PM
Well, i use tiscali.
but their supposed to be really bad for p2p downloads.
But i'v never had any issues with the speed so im not complaining!

GarethMB
April 7th, 2006, 04:50 PM
I'm with pipex and they don't throttle my torrents. I regularly max out on 1 Meg. Perhaps change port and use a client that shield the info that ISP use to throttle. Last time i checked Azureus and utorrent could both do it.

sellotape
April 7th, 2006, 04:56 PM
tiscali here

renzokuken
April 7th, 2006, 05:12 PM
I'm with pipex and they don't throttle my torrents. I regularly max out on 1 Meg. Perhaps change port and use a client that shield the info that ISP use to throttle. Last time i checked Azureus and utorrent could both do it.

yeah i tried all that but didnt work, also only works if all the other clients/leechers/seeders are using "shielding" as well.

its definately an ISP issue though, everyone on the xtreme4 pipex server experiences this......torrents supposed to max out at 56-58kbps but only ever reach 20-23 nowadays, been going on for a couple of months or so now.

so if anyone can recommend a good alternative i would be really grateful.

GarethMB
April 7th, 2006, 05:21 PM
yeah i tried all that but didnt work, also only works if all the other clients/leechers/seeders are using "shielding" as well.

its definately an ISP issue though, everyone on the xtreme4 pipex server experiences this......torrents supposed to max out at 56-58kbps but only ever reach 20-23 nowadays, been going on for a couple of months or so now.

so if anyone can recommend a good alternative i would be really grateful.
You could try angry emailing them. As its the only service that you can use there it seems unjust that they should limit it at all...

renzokuken
April 7th, 2006, 05:32 PM
You could try angry emailing them. As its the only service that you can use there it seems unjust that they should limit it at all...

loads of people have apparently but they just reply apologising and saying its part of the "Acceptable Use Policy".

Alot of ISPs seem to only restrict or throttle during peak hours (evenings) and allow max speeds the rest of the day, which would suit me fine......but Pipex is 24/7 throttled.....

i dont even know where to start looking (apart from google obviously) but u get a lot of ISP ive never heard of)

curtis
April 7th, 2006, 08:14 PM
I'm using Freedom2surf here (f2s.com)
Not bad really, £20 a month for 8mbps (Well, depending on your local exchange. I can get 8mbps my self)
Also you get a free static IP, which is not bad.

mips
April 7th, 2006, 08:24 PM
Lots of ISPs use port prioritisation and throttling on p2p stuff.

patwack
April 7th, 2006, 09:11 PM
plusnet are 24.99 for their 2mb with no cap on download limits, although they do throttle the speed on known p2p ports during the day but if you just use a different port it works at full speed, customer service is great too

renzokuken
April 8th, 2006, 02:16 PM
thanks pat....i'll look into them........

should get a bit off the price too if we only get 512mb

rado_london
April 8th, 2006, 05:19 PM
NTL here. I am very happy with it. 2 MB/Sec for £30. Ofcourse it is unlimited broadband.