PDA

View Full Version : Linux loses 3rd position!!!!

praveenthivari
September 1st, 2010, 05:48 PM
Read this article on Softpedia. Think tht they didn't consider android. Wat r ur thoughts on this?

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Windows-7-Pushes-Windows-Up-Mac-OS-X-Down-Linux-Loses-3rd-Spot-to-iOS-154585.shtml

JDShu
September 1st, 2010, 05:52 PM
oh noes :o

It is time for us to stand our ground! We will never surrender!

lukeiamyourfather
September 1st, 2010, 05:57 PM
They're not really comparing apples to apples since those figures include smartphone operating systems. :-k

handy
September 1st, 2010, 06:08 PM
Who cares?

Just do what you love to do & be grateful that you actually have the opportunity to have a go.

Random_Dude
September 1st, 2010, 06:12 PM
They're not really comparing apples to apples since those figures include smartphone operating systems. :-k

Exactly what I was thinking.

red_Marvin
September 1st, 2010, 06:19 PM
Linux is not developed as a project whose main function is being an entry in a popularity contest. Popularity is not the second or third intended function either.

pookiebear
September 1st, 2010, 06:32 PM
It is just a story generated for the Net-Applications "SEO" company that put out the "stats". Move along nothing to see here. PASS this one by. This should be a no-follow.

zpletan
September 1st, 2010, 06:44 PM
Author apparently did not read http://daringfireball.net/2007/01/os_x. If Gruber is right, then iOS is still OS X and Linux is still third.

Also, I agree that if iOS is going to be taken into account, why not Android in the Linux stats?

handy
September 1st, 2010, 06:51 PM
Linux is not developed as a project whose main function is being an entry in a popularity contest. Popularity is not the second or third intended function either.

As an adjunct to the above statement:

Who really gives two hoots about bug no.1.?

Driven are we?

Use what you like because it suits your needs.

If the applications or the system they run on happens to be proprietary, so what, be grateful that at least someone makes the tools that you need to get the job done.

Keep you eye on the FOSS side of the world & patiently wait (if that be your desire) for the tools to become available under FOSS.

There is no problem here.

Use what suits you & be grateful that a solution exists... At least somewhere.

asddf
September 1st, 2010, 08:10 PM
Something I don't understand tho is, all of these news articles claiming this, don't seem to be counting Android as Linux?

eriktheblu
September 1st, 2010, 08:25 PM
Ahhhhhhhhh.......

That statistical massage felt good.

News flash: "iOS" is an OSX derivative.

Linux is just as #3 as it has always been.

fatality_uk
September 1st, 2010, 08:32 PM
And does it consider EVERY single device running Linux? TV's, DVR's, Washing machines etc, etc...

KiwiNZ
September 1st, 2010, 08:36 PM
Until Linux reaches at least double figures does it really matter? and even then does it?

satyanash
September 1st, 2010, 08:39 PM

TRUE TRUE I Agree..

ElSlunko
September 1st, 2010, 08:46 PM
Many ipad owners I know also own the iphone.

asddf
September 1st, 2010, 09:27 PM
And does it consider EVERY single device running Linux? TV's, DVR's, Washing machines etc, etc...

Your washing machine browses the web?

red_Marvin
September 1st, 2010, 09:35 PM
A washing machine running linux would be a terrible waste of processing power.

fatality_uk
September 1st, 2010, 09:35 PM
Your washing machine browses the web?

What has an OS got to do with "browsing the web"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operating_system

varunendra
September 1st, 2010, 10:01 PM
Forget about current stats.

We Indians - I believe - comprise almost 1/4th of the whole world's population. Just a few weeks ago, our HRD Minister Mr. Kapil Sibbal unveiled the world's cheapest netbook that will come with Linux!!

We used to widely use Windows (I agree we still are) when computer used to be a Luxury and there were very few among us who had even seen a computer for real. It's only 5 yrs. back when I saw a computer from a close distance for the first time in my life (I remember being scared of even touching it for the fear of something going wrong with it!).

In 90s, being a 'Computer-User' used to be a symbol of prestige in our society and only a handful of us had that "privilege". Now I hardly find a young guy who hasn't already used windows and doesn't want to become an "Advanced User". And for us, there is no better parameter of being an advanced user than being a "Linux User". So what I see nowadays is- there are still very few among us who have actually used linux, BUT there are EVEN FEWER who haven't already heard of good things about it and thus appreciate it over windows, mac or anything else.

Now, with that impression in mind, with already growing no. of linux users, what will happen when all of us get a chance to try & learn that "Magic" OS in a price cheaper than a decent MP3 player? Doesn't it have the potential of creating a "Linux-Explosion"?

I know that a $35 netbook is too ambitious a plan to realize. But even if it fails to launch as promised, the pace of growth of linux users I'm noticing around me (including this very forum) makes me believe that Linux Is Going To Grow!! Steadily and Strongly!

In fact, I see very healthy chances that this once called Hobby OS may actually become the Future, leaving all other OSes as only hobbies!

Nick_Jinn
September 1st, 2010, 11:13 PM
An article I posted said that Linux, including Android, Palm, Bada, and other linux based operating systems, will have 33% of the smart phone market.

How is 1/3 of the market not significant?

And why is the mobile version of Mac being counted but not mobile versions of Linux? This article has no credibility.

ElSlunko
September 1st, 2010, 11:18 PM
I joined Ubuntu & Linux because it was popular.

O wait...

KiwiNZ
September 1st, 2010, 11:18 PM
iOS4 is used on devices other than mobile phones that is why it is included.

Why they didn't include other Linux derivatives is something only the authors can answer. But the results still have validity one just has to take into account possible statistical skew due to incomplete data set.

beew
September 1st, 2010, 11:33 PM
red_marvin

It may not be a primary goal but popularity matters. A wider user base means better software and hardware support and it means a better chance of Linux to become an OS for production rather than a hobby OS for hackers. It has come a long way and in some areas such as scientific computing Linux is almost the default, but in some other areas it is still lacking because of software supports and this has everything to do with popularity and nothing to do with Linux's capability as an OS.

So, yes, popularity and marketshare is important. Having said that I agree that article is comparing apples to oranges.

Nick_Jinn
September 1st, 2010, 11:35 PM
Android is used on devices other than phones, which is why it should be included. We have Android tablets as well.

So I ask again, why is Ipad counted but Android isnt? We have established that like Ipads, Android runs on tablets and dual books.

Linux seems to have an edge in the future of mobile computing due to the fact that it runs well on ARM architecture, something that Windows cant do.....mobile windows isnt as good....Mac's Iphone technology isnt terrible, but its not better than Android in my opinion.

Why are Android tablets not being counted when Ipads are?

Naiki Muliaina
September 1st, 2010, 11:41 PM
Tosh rubbish article. Says the market share has gone down but it is including non desktop devices. If they showed actual numbers (head counts) on how many desktops and devices there are it would be more useful. Linux market share may go down, but if they including devices, there's nothing to say desktop usage hasn't gone up.

Nick_Jinn
September 1st, 2010, 11:51 PM
France and Italy has a HUGE linux following....most of us wouldnt know that though because they are less likely to be visiting English speaking websites (though they are more likely to be bilingual) they dont show up on polls that look at US website hits.

I really cant wrap my head around including Ipad but not Android....I have a tablet that runs Android....what about Linux based Ereaders that run linux and also access the web? Its not just phones.

Simian Man
September 1st, 2010, 11:59 PM
Android should be counted, but it shouldn't be included with the regular desktop Linux's. The systems are totally different.

KiwiNZ
September 2nd, 2010, 12:29 AM
Android tablets should have been included however their impact on the result would have been negligible.

Ipad however actually altered Apples Worldwide ranking in Mobile computing therefore its inclusion is logical.

Nick_Jinn
September 2nd, 2010, 12:41 AM
Android should be counted, but it shouldn't be included with the regular desktop Linux's. The systems are totally different.

Ipad shouldnt either then.

Android tablets should have been included however their impact on the result would have been negligible.

Do you have any evidence to back that up? Do you have any hard numbers on the number of computer devices, from phones to tablets to readers, that run Android?

Android is MORE popular than the Iphone, and with the rise of cheap android tablets, it wont be long before it swallows up the Ipad market as well.

Ipad however actually altered Apples Worldwide ranking in Mobile computing therefore its inclusion is logical.

What does that have to do with anything? It shouldnt matter what it altered. This is a simple tally. You can manipulate the results by arbitrarily including some devices and not others.

Ipad is just a glorified Iphone without the phone, on a bigger screen. Its not a desktop computer and shouldnt be counted as such, regardless of what it affected.

Android on the other hand is running on desktops, though i would say its more geared towards phones and tablets....these tablets are not so different from the Ipad, so it takes some twisted logic to include Ipad but not Android which is more popular than Ipad.

KiwiNZ
September 2nd, 2010, 01:04 AM
Ipad shouldnt either then.

Do you have any evidence to back that up? Do you have any hard numbers on the number of computer devices, from phones to tablets to readers, that run Android?

Android is MORE popular than the Iphone, and with the rise of cheap android tablets, it wont be long before it swallows up the Ipad market as well.

What does that have to do with anything? It shouldnt matter what it altered. This is a simple tally. You can manipulate the results by arbitrarily including some devices and not others.

Ipad is just a glorified Iphone without the phone, on a bigger screen. Its not a desktop computer and shouldnt be counted as such, regardless of what it affected.

Android on the other hand is running on desktops, though i would say its more geared towards phones and tablets....these tablets are not so different from the Ipad, so it takes some twisted logic to include Ipad but not Android which is more popular than Ipad.

I did not mention phones. The survey was not about phones. The inclusion of ipad, ipod was logical as they are mobile computing devices. Android Tablets should have been included but sales of those have been very very small as the number of devices available is small and of low customer appeal at this time. That I am sure will change in time when some of the big player start producing. Android tablets at this time would have added something like 0.05% to the Linux total under the terms of reference.

The figures you asked about were on CNET

First quarter 2010 results
HP 25.3%
Toshiba 8.4%
Apple 7.1%
Asus 4.6%
Lenovo 4.0%

Second quarter 2010
HP 25.5%
Toshiba 8.5%
Apple 9.0%
Lenovo 4.9%
Asus 3.5%

Another source http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-20012449-64.html

Primefalcon
September 2nd, 2010, 02:37 AM

Do you have any concept how popular Android is? it's now the #! smartphone OS at least in the states http://www.redmondpie.com/android-is-now-the-number-1-selling-smartphone-os-in-united-states/

Now I am not arguing for android or against, I am just saying if counted Android would affect the numbers significantly, and there is also the x86 port of Android....

KiwiNZ
September 2nd, 2010, 02:42 AM
Do you have any concept how popular Android is? it's now the #! smartphone OS at least in the states http://www.redmondpie.com/android-is-now-the-number-1-selling-smartphone-os-in-united-states/

Now I am not arguing for android or against, I am just saying if counted Android would affect the numbers significantly, and there is also the x86 port of Android....

OH for goodness sake I AM NOT DISPUTING THE ANDROID PHONES. Please read my posts properly I am referring to mobile devices OTHER than phones and that is what this whole result is about . SHEESH

Nick_Jinn
September 2nd, 2010, 02:48 AM
Forecasts say Android will overtake Ipad in the tablet market as well.

And smartphones ARE mobile computing devices. It also sounds like the OP was including Apple phones, but regardless, Android is expected to beat Apple in the tablet market because its cheaper and more customizable for the same specs.

And why arbitrarily include tablets but not phones....which are small tablets with a phone and camera attached? Ipad will not be the dominant tablet maker 3 to 5 years from now. Linux and Android will take its place....especially if Ubuntu has multi-touch, it should find its way on tablets soon.

KiwiNZ
September 2nd, 2010, 02:55 AM
Forecasts say Android will overtake Ipad in the tablet market as well.

And smartphones ARE mobile computing devices. It also sounds like the OP was including Apple phones, but regardless, Android is expected to beat Apple in the tablet market because its cheaper and more customizable for the same specs.

Quite possible but there will need to be a very big improvement in overall quality of the offerings for this to happen
The current batch of Android tablets are not going to do it.

There is a third player that will enter the market early 2011 that is HP with their Windows7 Enterprise Tablet and WebOS SOHO Tablet

Nick_Jinn
September 2nd, 2010, 03:01 AM
Again I disagree.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/204687/android_tablet_deluge_is_just_beginning.html?tk=hp _new

Archos continues to embrace Android in a big way. Yesterday they announced not one, not two, but five new Android 'tablets.' They range in size from a 2.8" screen (which is why I put tablets in quotes) to 10.1". All of them are running Android 2.2, but sadly, none of them have the Android Market included. Instead they'll be running Archos’ AppsLib. The top of the line Archos 101 has a 1 Ghz ARM Cortex A8 processor, a 10.1", 1024x600 capacitive touch screen, 720P video playback capability, HDMI out, front facing camera and a kickstand, all for $300. It should be out in mid-October. CrunchGear has a full rundown (http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/08/31/archos-drops-five-android-tablets-from-2-8-to-10-1-inches/) of all 5 models.
Next up we have the Hannspree tablet. No, I'd never heard of them before yesterday either. The Hannspree runs Android 2.2 on a Tegra 2 ARM A9 dual-core 1GHz processor. Its 10.1" screen is once again 1024x600, and it'll ship with Flash 10.1 installed. It'll support 1080P video playback and has a micro HDMI port. It's supposed to go 8 hours on a charge, and will sell for around $500 (no ship date as of yet). Clearly aimed to take on the iPad head to head. Engadget has more details (http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/31/hannspree-pairs-android-2-2-with-tegra-2-for-a-10-1-inch-multito/).
Last (for now), Toshiba is throwing its hat in the Android ring with the Folio 100, another Tegra 2 based tablet. This one also has a 10.1", 1024x600 capacitive screen. Toshiba has opted (according to the leaks, anyway) for a full size HDMI port. The downside of this one is the weight: 1.7lbs. That's heavier than the iPad, which is already pretty hefty. It'll ship with Opera Mobile and Flash 10.1; this implies no Google, and thus no Android Market, which is a shame. Gizmodo has the details (http://gizmodo.com/5624526/toshiba-smartpads-specs-leak-runs-android-22-and-is-supposedly-called-the-folio-100) on this one.

'Better' Android tablets are already here, and there are already good alternatives to the Android app store, making it less of an issue.

As far as hardware, we already have similar specs. In some ways some of the tablets have BETTER specs....real USB slots and SDHC card slots are pretty useful.

The Hanspree looks fairly impressive, and the Archos isnt bad for the price.

dmizer
September 2nd, 2010, 03:12 AM
Statistics are statistically statistical.

Thank you all for participating.

KiwiNZ
September 2nd, 2010, 03:14 AM
I have already stated that future offerings of Android tablets will be better and will no doubt be reflected in the market share results for Q4 2010 and Q1 and 2 2011.