PDA

View Full Version : C programmers, need suggestions

hesee
April 7th, 2006, 04:30 PM
Hi,
I am studying C language and thought that maybe good way to learn good coding style and skills might be to study open source projects, make some modifications to them and compile own test versions. Anyway, can you suggest some good applications, which I could take under study? It should be 1) C language 2)not too complicated/large package. I'm not near to pro level, but have basic "hello world"-skills (and little more ;) ).

briancurtin
April 7th, 2006, 04:37 PM
check out the programming forum on here

hesee
April 7th, 2006, 09:22 PM
Thanks, i forgot we have that subforum too. Can I move this thread there somehow?
(I went through that forum and didn't find same kind of thread there).

ComplexNumber
April 7th, 2006, 09:28 PM
hesee
don't forget to fully document your code ;). its good programming practice and it helps a lot for 3 reasons:
a) the act of 'verbalising' what you're doing helps you to structure things in your own mind so that you can understand more fully how the program can be written at its most efficient and keep a clear structure in your own mind of the structure of the program. this isn't necessary for simple projects, but helps a lot the more advanced you become and the larger projects become..
b) its useful for when you come back to the program at a later date.
c) if you ever decide to become a C programmer and you submit code samples, it doesn't matter how good the program is, if its not well documented, you won't stand a chance.

i suggest a program thats simple but 'extensible' such as a game (maybe solitaire or something).

Stormy Eyes
April 7th, 2006, 09:43 PM
Get a copy of Kernighan & Ritchie's The C Programming Language. K&R invented C, and their book is still a good resource.