PDA

View Full Version : Why doesn't Kubuntu use a clone of the Human theme?

IYY
April 7th, 2006, 03:41 PM
I don't really understand why Ubuntu and Kubuntu use such different themes. It confuses new users, and loses the sense of identity. Why doesn't somebody make a KDE theme that looks just like the new Dapper theme, icons and all included?

ComplexNumber
April 7th, 2006, 03:44 PM
I don't really understand why Ubuntu and Kubuntu use such different themes. It confuses new users, and loses the sense of identity. Why doesn't somebody make a KDE theme that looks just like the new Dapper theme, icons and all included? you mean like bluecurve for kde and gnome on fedora/redhat?

try tango - there are icons and a metacity theme for both :). there is gtk tango themes too - just use the qt-gtk engine to make them look the same or similar.

Brunellus
April 7th, 2006, 03:59 PM
indeed. perhaps they should call it "Klone"

Alpha_toxic
April 7th, 2006, 04:00 PM
For me the colours don't matter that much (I'll most likely change them anyway), but please don't touch the icons... I've never liked Gnome's industrial style icons (It's just personal taste of course). KDE's are so much more colorfull and shiny :)

IYY
April 7th, 2006, 04:32 PM
I know it's possible to theme KDE to look like Gnome, like Windows, MacOS or anything else, but that's not really my point. I don't even use Gnome or KDE, more of a Fluxbox man myself. It just seems odd that two flavours of the same operating system would look so different for no reason at all.

For me the colours don't matter that much (I'll most likely change them anyway), but please don't touch the icons... I've never liked Gnome's industrial style icons (It's just personal taste of course). KDE's are so much more colorfull and shiny

Clearly you haven't seen the new Ubuntu theme: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DapperUbuntuIcons

briancurtin
April 7th, 2006, 04:33 PM
I don't really understand why Ubuntu and Kubuntu use such different themes.
its just a theme...

It confuses new users, and loses the sense of identity.
if you get that confused, and lose the sense of identity of your distribution because it is different colors then you need more help than just changing a color scheme.

Why doesn't somebody make a KDE theme that looks just like the new Dapper theme, icons and all included?
go for it

fuscia
April 7th, 2006, 04:36 PM
i'm sure kubuntu users wonder why ubuntu doesn't adopt the kubuntu theme. i'm wondering why anyone ever uses anything other than openbox.

ckempo
April 7th, 2006, 04:43 PM
go for it

That's the community spirit :???:

It was a good point though. I was wondering this just the other day, maybe it's something that has been overlooked. As we move past Dapper, it would be great if all the flavours (that's XUbuntu too, not just Kubuntu/Ubuntu) get themed up in a nicely matching style.

EDIT: Aahhhh, just found this (http://www.raphink.info/changing-styles) and this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=154000)

It's on its way.