PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] installing over local network using desktop live cd

gdp77
September 1st, 2010, 05:36 AM
Ok. Let's see if I can find some help. The scenario is :

I need to install ubuntu to my laptop which has a) a broken dvd-rom device b) can't boot from usb and c) has no floppy disk. The laptop has a windows partition. I tried unetbootin solution but it doesn't work since there is a bug that prevents proper install if unetbootin and the installation partition are on the same device. (as a result of this failed attempt, I destroyed my ubuntu partition at the same laptop - was dual boot)

I also have a local network with a second fully working pc.

Now, I tried this method : InstallationWindowsServerNetboot (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation) which actually worked, but i ended up with a command line only ubuntu installation. Probably i didn't select the correct packets when the installer asked me about software.

So before I try again this method (which actually installs packets from internet) I would like you guys to help me install ubuntu over local network, but using my desktop live cd from my working machine. Is it possible ?

Thanks

gdp77
September 2nd, 2010, 05:28 AM
bump...