PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 64 bit 10.04 on Radeon HD 5750 - Display fails during installation

AdamMPkins
August 31st, 2010, 11:22 PM
I just finished building my new machine. I've got windows 7 running just fine on it, but I wanted to dual boot Ubuntu 10.04. I downloaded the 64 bit iso and tried installing it from both a live cd and a usb drive.

When I boot from either (cd or usb), I see the Ubuntu loading/boot screen, but after the data is loaded, my display goes black and seems not to be able to find a signal.

I assumed initially that it was probably due to the fact that I was connecting to my tv by HDMI cable. I guessed that Ubuntu did not have HDMI drivers for my video card, ATI Radeon HD 5750, by default.

Then today, my new monitor arrived and I switched to the DVI output on my video card. I assumed that this would allow me to boot and install. I was wrong. I experienced the same symptoms on my monitor via DVI as I did on my TV via HDMI.

Does anybody have any ideas as to why my monitor drops the signal as soon as it leaves the loading/boot screen?

andrewthomas
September 1st, 2010, 01:59 AM
I probably should have replied to this one but I saw the other one first.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1565362