PDA

View Full Version : [Feeling Bored? Let's Play!] Guess dapper+1 codename ^_^

mohasr
April 7th, 2006, 02:27 PM
Hello brave *Ubuntu users :wink:

After Warty Warthog , Hoary Hedgehog , Breezy Badger and Dapper Drake
do you wonder what will be the name of the next release ? I know I do :-k , so while
we are waiting impatiently for dapper+1 let's guess its name 8) , who knows maybe
the CodeNameOfNewRelease dude picks your suggestion , and u gonna be famous :mrgreen:

From this wiki post (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DevelopmentCodeNames), we can know the following about the codename schema:

The development codename of a release takes the form "Adjective Animal". So for example: Warty Warthog (Ubuntu 4.10), Hoary Hedgehog (Ubuntu 5.04), Breezy Badger (Ubuntu 5.10), are the first three releases of Ubuntu. In general, people refer to the release using the adjective, like "warty" or "breezy". The names live on in one hidden location---the archive release name in /etc/apt/sources.list and seen on the download mirror network.

and from History section in that post , there is an important rule:

For all of our sanity we are going to try to keep these names alphabetical after Breezy.
this makes it a bit easier :wink: , thus I believe dapper+1 will start with the letter 'E' , and here is why IMHO:

'E' alphabetically after 'D'
'E' is the 5th letter , dapper+1 is the 5th release as well...

Now, here is the game rules (any suggestions are welcomed :KS ) :

every user may participate with no more than 5 (3?) codenames .
you can't combine more than one adjective with one animal, or vise verse.
you must choose a unique name (unrepeated), but you can comment on other codenames .
I leave the prize up to you (ubuntu community) , the owner of the chosen codename maybe hold the credit of choosing it lifetime :D .

and remember there is roughly 2 months till the final release of dapper and the
immediate announcement of dapper+1 codename , so hurry!!

to make life easier , there is a list of many [ Adjective , Animal ] names available at the above
wiki post , so you can just combine 2 and voila! you get a ready ubuntu codename ;)

sudomania4
April 7th, 2006, 02:30 PM
I made a similair thread here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=146444) some time ago. Just thought the replies there might interest you.

mohasr
April 7th, 2006, 02:37 PM
ok i'll start ;)

Try # 1/5 :

as I said I believe it'll start with 'E' , and also I read somewhere in this forum that
dapper+1 will be 6.10 not 6.12 (just a thought) , and that means 4 months of
development only?! (instead of 6), so if this true I think the perfect adjective
match that start with 'E' would be 'Early' :mrgreen:

now for the animal part , hmmm.... 'Eagle' is good , and here is why IMHO:

it is a bird , there is no ubuntu release with bird codename yet.
I like eagles (see my avatar :cool: )
eagles always come early , did you see an eagle came late before ?! ;)

so to make it short , my guess is :

Ubuntu 6.10 Early Eagle

:mrgreen:

lol , now your turn

Master Shake
April 7th, 2006, 02:40 PM
Erotic Emu

mohasr
April 7th, 2006, 02:40 PM
omg sudomania4 , though I made a search for similar threads before posting this
I couldn't find any, ](*,) ](*,)

donno what will the admins do with this one , I spended quite time preparing for it :( :( :(

anyway , no problem if it is deleted or ignored , one can't know the future :-\"

Get
April 7th, 2006, 03:11 PM
Extreame Elk

htinn
April 7th, 2006, 04:49 PM
Limiting to the 'E's makes it rather difficult, but:

Edgy Elephant
Enlightened Elk
Electric Ewe
Encore Ermine
Epithet Emu

briancurtin
April 7th, 2006, 04:51 PM
dupy duperson

kleeman
April 7th, 2006, 04:56 PM
Rampant Rhino (a vista buster)

Arktis
April 7th, 2006, 05:25 PM
1.) Ethereal Eagle
2.) Ebony Echidna
3.) Earnest Elephant
4.) Easy Egret
5.) Eccentric Emu

mohasr
April 7th, 2006, 07:41 PM
htinn:
it is not limited to the 'E's at all ...
I just said that I believe it will be 'E' , but as happened with dapper , they skipped 'C' they may skip 'E' as well, who knows!

curtis
April 7th, 2006, 08:10 PM
I got a feeling it is going to be Early something, maybe Eagle or Elephant.
But I think it could be englightened or some other adjective that starts with E.

woedend
April 7th, 2006, 08:23 PM
in the screensaver with the notes stream, they said they were looking for animals that start with E to go with edgy. So I would assume its edgy something. I like Edgy Eagle.

Zeroedout
April 8th, 2006, 01:35 AM
in the screensaver with the notes stream, they said they were looking for animals that start with E to go with edgy. So I would assume its edgy something. I like Edgy Eagle.

Edgy Earwig. Okay, maybe that's a little odd, but I like it! I think that would be a great name.

solcott
April 8th, 2006, 01:51 AM
Erect Elephant :-#

bored2k
April 8th, 2006, 02:10 AM
Furious Ballmer 6.10

solcott
April 8th, 2006, 02:12 AM
Furious Ballmer 6.10
That's the most hilarious thing I've read in a while :D

souled
April 8th, 2006, 02:13 AM
ok i'll start ;)

it is a bird , there is no ubuntu release with bird codename yet.

Drake = male duck

darkmatter
April 8th, 2006, 02:35 AM
Freeloading Flamingo
Gittery Gerble
Happy Hippo

Horny Hampster :mrgreen:

Wallakoala
April 8th, 2006, 03:12 AM
The only thing I have to say is that if there is going to be a codename that starts with "Early" or "Enlightened", that is going to be the unofficial name for the release. Like dapper drake is reffered to as "Dapper" and breezy badger is reffered to as "Breezy". I just can't imagine saying "Have you upgraded to Early yet?" or "Enlightened isn't stable yet". It just doesn't sound right, as "Have you upgraded to Dapper yet?" sounds a little more natural.

briancurtin
April 8th, 2006, 05:03 AM
dupy duperson