PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Newbie - what flavor of Ubuntu to use?

Derfdog
August 31st, 2010, 03:24 PM
Hello
A friend of mine talked me into building a NAS box using FreeNAS out of an old Windos PC, and it intrigued me to learn more. I have downloaded the 10.4 desktop version and used it in safe mode on my gaming PC.
But now I am ready to take the next step so I ordered an Intel BOXD510MO Intel Atom D510 Intel NM10 Mini ITX, with 4 gigs of ram.

What flavor of Ubuntu should I install? Desktop/netbook/server? The reason I ask is that I see some people who've installed it on an Atom MB have had problems.

sikander3786
August 31st, 2010, 03:49 PM
Depends on your needs. For general purposes I'll recommend Ubuntu Desktop Edition even Netbook and Server should run pretty well. There are lot of people using Ubuntu on Atom, to be honest, I haven't had any problems regarding the processor.

snowpine
August 31st, 2010, 03:58 PM
I would recommend you try Ubuntu first. It is the original and, in my opinion, most polished of the 'Buntu family. But the other "flavors" are basically the same operating system with different desktop environments or "skins" so really it is a question of cosmetics and personal taste. If you prefer KDE, go for Kubuntu; Xfce, Xubuntu, etc.

You are correct that Ubuntu support for Atom motherboards is hit or miss. I recommend using the forum Search feature to find success/failure stories for your specific motherboard before you begin your build. Good luck! :)

Derfdog
August 31st, 2010, 04:30 PM
Thanks for the info.