PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] upgrade to 10.04.1 LTS- CRASH!!!

snbatra
August 31st, 2010, 09:58 AM
Hello,

Please help; I have been a very happy and contented user of version 8.04 LTS for about three years; hardly ever having to lift the bonnet and get into the engine - after a fairly difficult time getting it configured and set up to work with my Brother printer.

In a moment of folly or sheer stupidity I decided to upgrade to Version 10.04.1 LTS. After a fairly long process the computer failed to bootup. A new logo appeared for a few seconds and then the screen went blank. I tried to do a recovery mode boot up and after a long list of lines of text the system again stopped.

My laptop is an Acer Tablet set up to dual boot with MS XP Tablet Edition. The computer does boot up with XP. I have not used XP for so long I had forgotten how painfully slow it is.

Any suggestions for getting Ubuntu up and working again?

A rather sadder and chastened Ubuntu user - at the moment not a user of Ubuntu!

snbatra

pmlxuser
August 31st, 2010, 10:08 AM
if you had separate partition for / and /home i would just recomend a clean install.. try the 10.04 in live mode first to see if it works then clean install else i do fore a fairly bigger challenge here.

snbatra
August 31st, 2010, 12:27 PM
Hello again,

I tried the recovery mode again and this time I was rewarded with a menu - I chose first to start one time in low graphics mode. This worked and and the desktop appeared and Firefox and Evolution worked. Open Office also worked.

I then tried the troubleshoot choice and got another menu and chose and got informed that 'your screen, graphics card and input device settings could not be detected correctly. You will need to configure these yourself'

Well, how to do this is the question.

Can anybody help please. Please think of me as somebody who needs very simple instructions.

Thanks

snbatra