PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu and TNT2: is it really that difficult? (or am I missing something?)

julio_cortez
August 31st, 2010, 09:26 AM
Hi everyone. First of all I warn you that I'm still a kind of noob in tweaking Ubuntu. I've made several "default" installations flawlessly, but this one is causing me problems.

Machine: 1,8GHz Athlon XP, 40GB IDE HD, 256MB DDR RAM, AGP TNT2 32MB
System: Both Ubuntu 10.04 x86 and Xubuntu 10.04 x86.

First try: I booted Ubuntu from CD trying to install it along with Windows (shrinking it). I could see a nice Plymouth loading screen (better than the one I see on my HD5xxx ](*,)), but nothing else.
As soon as Plymouth stopped loading, everything disappeared and I was left with a black screen.

Second try: I tried installing it with Wubi: it went perfectly, I rebooted, the menu to choose whether to load XP or Ubuntu was there.. I chose Ubuntu and I couldn't get past Plymouth. Again. It behaved the same, after the Plymouth screen, nothing.

Third try: I tried also Xubuntu. I could see Plymouth, after Plymouth I could see something that seemed some text, resulting in Noveau being unable to do something (so I guess it's something related to the video card being too old)..

In the end: Everytime I tried to install/load Ubuntu, it got stuck just after Plymouth. The only difference was Xubuntu returning some kind of Noveau error, while Ubuntu just showing a completely black screen.

So, do you think that any of these would help?

Trying an older version (maybe 8.04 which is a LTS)
Trying 10.04 alternate (I don't think it would change anything to be honest)
Trying something lighter (possibly basing on *.deb packages)

In the latter case, would you suggest me something in particular (keep in mind that I'm not experienced with Linux, so a CLI install would make me quake)?
The last thing.. No, replacing the TNT2 card with something more performing is not an option (the machine is not mine, otherwise I would have already done it). Either I manage to install Linux on this setup or.. I manage to install Linux on this setup.

Any help would be appreciated!! :)

julio_cortez
September 1st, 2010, 07:34 AM
Bump!!

Had it been my machine I would have tried several installs to see if I could find one working, but..
Being the machine not mine I'd really like advice.. I can't just say "let's try and see what happens"..

PS: thanks to whoever corrected me the tag.. Being in a hurry sometimes plays bad tricks :)

PaulReaver
September 1st, 2010, 07:50 AM
have you tried booting into safe mode? I think you hold in the left shift key on boot.

you mentioned the nuovo driver have you tried nvidia's proprietry driver instead?

julio_cortez
September 1st, 2010, 08:33 AM
you mentioned the nuovo driver have you tried nvidia's proprietry driver instead?
Thanks for answering: I couldn't install the proprietary driver.. Installation failed :(

Do safe mode also apply to the installer? I was thinking about using 8.04 alternate, just because the PC is a little old (and 8.04 is the "oldest" one still supported)..

have you tried booting into safe mode? I think you hold in the left shift key on boot.
Would I be able to do that also with a Wubi install? If so, I think you suggested me something really useful, that I still wasn't aware of :)

wurzzero
November 11th, 2010, 01:47 AM
I konw this a little old, but did you make it?

i have a P3-750 with a TNT2 M64 32MB.