PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] duaboot xp and inux with two hdd's

dimi_tris
August 31st, 2010, 07:53 AM
i have read many tutorials but i cat find that what i need.
i have a hdd with xp.
have a new hdd where i want to install ubuntu 10.04.
one way is to disconnect xp and then install mint, but there is not going to be a boot option witch OS can ι choose. and i must use then the f12 to boot from deferent devises.
is there a solution?

lechien73
August 31st, 2010, 09:02 AM
There are several options. I'm presuming that XP is the first hard disk and Ubuntu the second, so I'm going to call the XP disk sda, and the Ubuntu disk sdb.

Firstly, you could leave the XP disk connected and install Ubuntu to sdb. During the installation process, choose to install Grub (the bootloader) to the MBR of sda. You will then be able to choose between XP and Ubuntu when you start up.

Secondly, you could decide that you don't want to modify the MBR of your Windows disk - just in case. You can then disconnect the XP disk and install Ubuntu and Grub to sdb. After installation, you can follow the instructions here: http://uri.tl/t to add Ubuntu to XP's boot menu.

Finally, you can continue as you already suggested. Press F12 (or whatever it is on your system) to boot from whichever disk you want.

dimi_tris
August 31st, 2010, 12:59 PM
thank you very much for your answer.
i will try it.

sikander3786
August 31st, 2010, 01:14 PM
During the installation process, choose to install Grub (the bootloader) to the MBR of sda.

+1 It will be better to install Grub to the MBR of Windows HDD. And if windows HDD is sda, select Advanced at the last step of Ubuntu installer (think it is the 7th step, just after personal information page and before the start of installation) and select sda from there.

Regards.

Mark Phelps
August 31st, 2010, 01:45 PM
I would differ in saying it would be better to disconnect the XP drive and install Ubuntu and GRUB to the other drive. Then, reconnect the XP drive, boot from the Ubuntu drive, open a terminal and enter "sudo update-grub".

This approach has the advantage that you do NOT mess with the MBR on the XP drive, thus, you can continue to boot that drive on its own.

sikander3786
August 31st, 2010, 02:22 PM
I would differ in saying it would be better to disconnect the XP drive and install Ubuntu and GRUB to the other drive. Then, reconnect the XP drive, boot from the Ubuntu drive, open a terminal and enter "sudo update-grub".

This approach has the advantage that you do NOT mess with the MBR on the XP drive, thus, you can continue to boot that drive on its own.

Not bad either. Then he just need to change his Bios Settings to boot from the second HDD.

lechien73
August 31st, 2010, 03:48 PM
Not bad either. Then he just need to change his Bios Settings to boot from the second HDD.

True, but the OP's question was how to avoid that scenario :)

For users who don't want to modify the MBR of their Windows disk (e.g. sda), I think that installing Grub to the MBR of sdb and then modifying the Windows boot menu to choose between either Windows or Ubuntu is the safest option.