PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Use "force=1" on Compaq Presario 5000

JamesHayek
August 31st, 2010, 06:54 AM
Hello,

I tried installing Ubuntu on an old Presario I had hidden in the closet. However, there has been a problem that I did not know how to resolve.

After the install I try to boot up the OS. Prior to getting to the login screen I see a series of messages. One message is an error. The error tells me that I must update BIOS (can not from the Compaq site or anywhere else for the matter) or use the command:

force=1

I tried finding information on how to implement that but to my dismay I could not find any answers.

Would anyone know how I would be able to utilize this command and override this BIOS problem so i can fully use Ubuntu 10.04 on this old dinosaur? :confused:

arpanaut
August 31st, 2010, 08:12 AM
On a computer with those specs I really doubt that Ubuntu 10.04 is going to run.
I have one of those old dogs and can get it to run one of the lighter linux, but I have the memory upgraded to 768, you might get by with 512 but 128 isn't gonna hack it with any of the *buntus, I also had upgraded the vid card the stock isn't going to perform well.

Check this out:http://www.tuxradar.com/content/whats-best-lightweight-linux-distro

JamesHayek
August 31st, 2010, 08:34 PM
Hmm,

On a computer with those specs I really doubt that Ubuntu 10.04 is going to run.

As for right now, I am going through the Lightweight Linux versions now and looking into the differences. Thanks for the link, I am sure it will be of help.

Yes it is old... If nothing can be done I will simply use a version from your post.
But what about the warning to use "force=1", what does that mean/do, and how would implementing it help. How can it be implemented?