PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ready to throw in the towel

darkbrewer
August 31st, 2010, 12:18 AM
I 've been trying to install ubuntu 10.04 on one of my computers for about 3 weeks and just when i think i solved the issue and reboot the computer i get this message:

GNU Grub version 1.98-1ubuntu7

Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported.For the first word,TAB lists possible command completions.Anywhere else TAB lists possible device or file completions.

grub>_

NOW can anyone explain or tell me what the heck am I suppose to do?
why do they make this process soooo hard for people who don't have a degree in programming.I so fed up now it's ridiculious,maybe i should sell my soul back to Microsoft and Bill Gates in order to get an OS to work on my computer!!! Can someone help me out .:-({|=

dell dimension 4400- 1G ram,P4 cpu,5ooGB HDD

johnson094
August 31st, 2010, 12:40 AM
I am a newbie and really can't get technical, but in reading posts over the last few days , I remembered this: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100806092127AAFj9lF

Don't know if it will help, but it may not hurt.

Best of luck.

an0dos
August 31st, 2010, 12:53 AM
I 've been trying to install ubuntu 10.04 on one of my computers for about 3 weeks and just when i think i solved the issue and reboot the computer i get this message:

GNU Grub version 1.98-1ubuntu7

Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported.For the first word,TAB lists possible command completions.Anywhere else TAB lists possible device or file completions.

grub>_

NOW can anyone explain or tell me what the heck am I suppose to do?
why do they make this process soooo hard for people who don't have a degree in programming.I so fed up now it's ridiculious,maybe i should sell my soul back to Microsoft and Bill Gates in order to get an OS to work on my computer!!! Can someone help me out .:-({|=

dell dimension 4400- 1G ram,P4 cpu,5ooGB HDD

Does the computer boot from a live cd into the graphical installer or a live session?
What steps have you done to try to fix the problem?
What hardware does your computer have?
Is the video card an ATI Rage 128?
Have you verified that you had a good burn on the live media? (I.e. Tried to boot another computer with it)

I have a feeling that the problems your are experiencing is related to either
1) legacy hardware
or
2) bad install disc

We will need more information in order to help you. In general installing Linux is much simpler than installing Windows, especially Windows XP.