PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Login Screen ( gdm ) trouble

ccc2007chaos
August 30th, 2010, 05:56 PM
Hi!

I'm trying to change my login screen, where i select username and enter password. I 've read many tutorials but i can't find any solution for my problem. The problem is that in System->Administration->Login Screen the window that appears has no options to change theme or anything. Anyone knows what can i do?

Attaching the screenshot of that window.

sisco311
August 30th, 2010, 06:01 PM
Add gnome-appearance-properties to GDM's autostart directory:

sudo ln -s /usr/share/applications/gnome-appearance-properties.desktop /usr/share/gdm/autostart/LoginWindow/

Log out. The appearance properties window should show up on the GDM screen.

Configure GDM how you want, then close the window and log back in.

When you're done and want the window to stop opening with GDM, run:

sudo unlink /usr/share/gdm/autostart/LoginWindow/gnome-appearance-properties.desktop

ccc2007chaos
August 30th, 2010, 06:16 PM
Ok! Thanks!

That worked, but how can i install a gdm theme? i tried to install by clicking the "Install" button in the window but it failed to install. Is there any solution or the version does not support the themes? I ask because i read something about it.

Thanks again!

sabenfox
August 30th, 2010, 09:09 PM
Please take my message with a grain of salt since i am new to linux as well....
From what i've been able to read, Themes on ubuntu is /fail....

there are some themesthat look ok, but nothing cool like what you're probably looking for. Mind you this is on Gnome

ccc2007chaos
September 2nd, 2010, 03:38 PM
Thanks for the replies. I wonder if someone that knows more can say something more specific. Sabenfox, i think the same but nothing is clear to be trusted 100%.

So can anyone tell us in order to close this thread?

sisco311
September 2nd, 2010, 05:28 PM
The new GDM (>=2.28) is not compatible with the old themes. You can change the GTK theme, background, mouse cursore, etc... But not the UI of the greeter window & panel, oh well, until you manually edit the /usr/share/gdm/gdm-greeter-login-window.ui file with glade :).

ccc2007chaos
September 2nd, 2010, 06:05 PM
Thank you very much. I 'll try to customize it. The thread is [SOLVED] ! :D:D):P