PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 8.04 -> 10.04 upgrade takes me to Maverick?

HankB
August 30th, 2010, 04:50 PM
I decided to upgrade my home server from 8.04 to 10.04. I figured that the most recent LTS would now be stable enough for the switch. I followed the directions on http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/upgrade for "Network upgrade for Ubuntu servers (Recommended)"

Up front the upgrade task warned me about upgrading from an SSH connection and told me that a second SSH server would start on another port. Fine - I thought. This is a headless server and connecting a monitor and keyboard is a bit of work, so I just went ahead and proceeded via an ssh login.

The update seemed to proceed OK until it seemed to get stuck at one point. The upgrade command running then was:

/usr/bin/dpkg --force-overwrite --status-fd 55 --configure <crap load of package names>

After waiting about an hour with no progress, I hit <ctrl>C at the console running the installation and whatever was blocked was killed and the command ran to completion. When it finished, I reran the update command (sudo do-release-upgrade --devel-release) and the process ran again and I presume completed the upgrade. At the end, it prompted to reboot to which I answered yes.

Following the reboot, I logged in and found to my surprise that I had upgraded to Maverick:

hbarta@oak:~$ cat /etc/issue
Ubuntu maverick (development branch) \n \l

hbarta@oak:~$ uname -a
Linux oak 2.6.35-19-server #28-Ubuntu SMP Sun Aug 29 06:51:14 UTC 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux
hbarta@oak:~$

I checked the file /etc/update-manager/release-upgrades and found:

hbarta@oak:~$ cat /etc/update-manager/release-upgrades
# Default behavior for the release upgrader.

[DEFAULT]
# Default prompting behavior, valid options:
#
# never - Never check for a new release.
# normal - Check to see if a new release is available. If more than one new
# release is found, the release upgrader will attempt to upgrade to
# the release that immediately succeeds the currently-running
# release.
# lts - Check to see if a new LTS release is available. The upgrader
# will attempt to upgrade to the first LTS release available after
# the currently-running one. Note that this option should not be
# used if the currently-running release is not itself an LTS
# release, since in that case the upgrader won't be able to
# determine if a newer release is available.
Prompt=normal

So... My first question is did I do something wrong or is there a bug in the upgrade procedure (or the configuration of the Maverick alpha/beta repositories?) If a bug or misconfiguration, where is the best place to report this?

Next, is there a way I can "upgrade" to a proper 8.04 LTS release from Maverick. It seems as if all else fails, I drag enough equipment around to put a physical console on the server and perform an install from scratch. Can I perform an install from scratch without a physical console (e.g via telnet or ssh?)

thanks,
hank