PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Abend on "re-start" after "successful" 10.04 Install

Langstracht
August 30th, 2010, 02:37 PM
Well successful in that it told me so.

However, after okaying a restart, and the disc being ejected I am now looking at a frozen screen (there was more than one but they went by so fast I don't know how many) filled with the like of:

[ 1095.nnnnnn] end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector nnnnnn

the last of the first nnnnnn's is 865443, and of the other 505072, this being consistently repeated 3 times.

The machine is an Acer Aspire, supposedly dual boot with Win 7.

The question is "what do I do now?"

oldfred
August 30th, 2010, 09:53 PM
I have not seen abend since greenbar paper days.

If you are still at part of the install. It seems to eject a little soon, as it still wants something from sr0. I usually hit enter and it closes and reboots.

Langstracht
August 31st, 2010, 12:29 PM
Well hitting Enter did not do it for me. Nor did trying any other key combination I could think of.

Getting increasingly impatient with the lack of a response to my plea, I finally just killed the machine and turned it on again ... and it worked fine.

Seems I fretted needlessly, for MANY hours, thinking I had bricked, and made non-returnable, my brand new machine ...

You live and sometimes learn!

oldfred
August 31st, 2010, 04:11 PM
Glad it is ok. Some here are having issues, but it is pretty hard to brick a computer by just installing software.

We do often have to reinstall boot loaders either grub, grub2 or windows to the MBR or even chroot into a broken system from the liveCD and update it.