PDA

View Full Version : I have an idea that probably already exists

sxmaxchine
August 30th, 2010, 08:41 AM
Today i was playing with my phone and i decided to change my ring tones because after you here the same song 50 times a day it gets really annoying. Then i had the idea 'wouldn't it be great if i could have several ring tones and when i get a message or call it plays one of them randomly.'

I also then thought you could also use that on a computer for several things like the boot sound, or when you get an email etc.

Im sharing this because if there are any bored programmers who want a challenge and make something like this i would love a copy.

frup
August 30th, 2010, 10:17 AM
Personally I wouldn't be able to stand it. I rely on having the same ringtone or I don't identify it as my phone. The only thing more annoying than not recognising my own ringtone is when someone else has the same ringtone as me.

Where I would appreciate it is on the tone I use for my alarm. Boy do I learn to dread those sounds.

Naiki Muliaina
August 30th, 2010, 10:47 AM
Quick! Edit ya post before someone in the US patents the idea! :P

More constructive though, I am with Frup. It would annoy the nutters of me ^^

forrestcupp
August 30th, 2010, 12:52 PM
I think I used to have an old phone that let you choose "random" for the ring tone. It was before they came out with smart phones, though.

realzippy
August 30th, 2010, 01:20 PM
run google:

random ringtone

bunch of apps....

LowSky
August 30th, 2010, 01:26 PM
Why not just set a ring tone for each person? Most phones allow that, and it give you a kinda random ringtone

eriktheblu
August 30th, 2010, 02:13 PM
This could probably be done in the shell.

Add a startup script that will first generate a random number (1-100 let's say) then employ that random number in the creation of a symbolic link pointing to 1 of 100 directories. The directories would contain identically named audio files.

For something recurring throughout a session, have the script repeating with a sleep function.

My BASH and filesystem knowledge is too limited to figure it out right now, and I personally prefer one sound associated with an event.

sxmaxchine
August 31st, 2010, 12:03 PM
il have a try at making a script that can do this when u log into ubuntu.

Shpongle
August 31st, 2010, 01:39 PM
Personally I wouldn't be able to stand it. I rely on having the same ringtone or I don't identify it as my phone. The only thing more annoying than not recognising my own ringtone is when someone else has the same ringtone as me.

Where I would appreciate it is on the tone I use for my alarm. Boy do I learn to dread those sounds.

I hear you on that!

limestone
August 31st, 2010, 01:43 PM
Can't some phones have personal ringtones on each contact??
I think I seen that somewere..

sikander3786
August 31st, 2010, 02:17 PM
Personally I wouldn't be able to stand it. I rely on having the same ringtone or I don't identify it as my phone.

Same problem here. Don't recognize my cell's sound, what I can identify is the ringtone.

dfreer
August 31st, 2010, 04:24 PM
Does anyone besides me hate songs as ringtones, and simply uses the most "natural" sounding ring for every call?

CharlesA
August 31st, 2010, 04:30 PM
Same. I actually had to record the ring tone from my old phone, and put it on my new phone, since all the ring tones I found sucked.