PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help

kortni
August 30th, 2010, 07:28 AM
I am trying to install openoffice.org and i am having a bit of trouble. On the directions page it says to

Extract the downloaded archive and open a terminal into the resulting folder.
Browse to the DEBS sub-folder from that directory.
Install OpenOffice.org 3.2 by issuing the following command:sudo dpkg -i --force-overwrite *deb
Install the menu entries by going into the desktop-integration folder:cd desktop-integration
sudo dpkg -i --force-overwrite *deb

I have no idea on how to open a terminal in the resulting folder.

Can someone please help me??

Thanks!!
Kortni

lechien73
August 30th, 2010, 08:52 AM
What version of Ubuntu are you running? You can install OpenOffice.org through Applications > Ubuntu Software Centre, or System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager.

Just search for openoffice and Ubuntu will handle the download of the .deb files, the installation, and the creation of menu items.

dxc
August 30th, 2010, 09:22 AM
we have 10.4 something and i think i found out what we needed its installed. now she needs to be able to use it for access. how do we set that up now?

lechien73
August 30th, 2010, 09:28 AM
If you mean that you need to open Microsoft Access databases, then you will need OpenOffice.org Database. This is not installed as standard, so to install it:

Go to Applications > Ubuntu Software Centre
Type openoffice into the search box
Click on OpenOffice.org Database and select Install

When this is installed, you should be able to open Microsoft Access databases.

dxc
August 30th, 2010, 09:35 AM
ok thank you very much

lechien73
August 30th, 2010, 09:49 AM
You're welcome. If this issue is fixed, please could you mark it as [SOLVED] using the Thread Tools menu at the top right?