PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ready to give up on Ubuntu

darkbrewer
August 30th, 2010, 03:15 AM
First i like to state that i don't consider myself a computer whiz,but i'm no dummy either.but it's been 3 weeks so far and i can't get ubuntu 10.04 to run on my (dell 4400 dimension P4 w/1G of ram ,HDD 1TB)computer.e i have tried two different types of live cds,even tried installing kubuntu it wouldn't boot either,WHAT THE <snip> IS THE PROBLEM !!! I like Ubuntu ,and the whole open source thing ,but i shouldn't have to be a <snip> programmer just to install the <snip> OS ,and i'm not dual installing so one would think it would be a straight forward deal.At this point I'm about ready to go crawling back to Windows if i can't figure this out. Please can someone out there help me out? And just keep in mind that I'm very new to Linux / Ubuntu so try to keep it as simple as possible, I'm still learning some of the terminology.](*,)

jmfal
August 30th, 2010, 03:56 AM
1: Welcome to Ubuntu
2: RELAX!!
What program are you using to burn a iso image?
what speed? what server?
I had problems with the live cd so I use the alternate version.
and, what do you see when evrything seizes up

gbestrada
August 30th, 2010, 04:14 AM
first of all don't give up that fast and relax . if you are still using windows you can
download a program called INFRARECODER to burn a new ISO file .that is a good program because it verifies that the iso is written as it is supposed to and also checks
the checksum to make sure that all the files were transfered.

because I thing that the problem you have is because of the way you are burning the
ISOS in the disks .

hope it helps , and don't give up ....:D:D:D.....

cariboo
August 30th, 2010, 04:21 AM
@darkbrewer, this is a family friendly forum, please watch your language.

pastalavista
August 30th, 2010, 04:26 AM
Will any disk boot in your PC? You may have a bad CD drive. Try a USB flash drive install if your BIOS will let you boot from USB. You can burn the iso to flash with unetbootin (http://sourceforge.net/projects/unetbootin/).