PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Broken Laptop Screen: Howto Install with only External Monitor

aduplat
August 30th, 2010, 12:57 AM
Hi folks:

I have an old laptop with a broken screen. It is a Dell Inspiron 4000. I would like to give this computer to my 8 years old daughter.
I am trying to install Xubuntu on it. I can see what happens when appears the first screen and I click on install but then the external monitor goes to "power save mode" and it is impossible to follow the installation process.

Is there any trick to resolve this problem? I tried with different modes... using my favorite method: trial and error, but until now without any luck.

I will try to install Lubuntu to see what happens.

Any help will be appreciated.

badfrogg
August 30th, 2010, 02:37 AM
i have used laptops with bad screens as test beds, In those situations i physically disconnected the laptop monitor from the motherboard and removed the screen completely, then just connect an external monitor. this has worked for me. I acts like the external monitor is the main monitor, Bios, boot and all.

aduplat
August 30th, 2010, 03:26 AM
Hi there:

Thanks for helping me. I did it. Actually my laptop does not have the screen anymore. But in my case it didn't work.

I installed Vector Linux and that was my solution. Everything looks good.

But I would like to try with Xubuntu or Lubuntu,

aduplat
August 30th, 2010, 09:29 PM
Well: I decided to open the laptop and I realized that when I got rid of the old screen, I didn't disconnect the screen from the main board. So I finally did so.

Then I install Lubuntu in safe graphics mode... and everything went well.

Thanks badfrogg