PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] chipset drivers...

Al_is_venting
August 29th, 2010, 11:05 PM
hey all. been doing a lot of reading but few things are not clear to me.

Once i install ubuntu(done long time ago so have an idea what to expect) will i need to download and install Chipset and video drivers? Someone told me that they are suppose to be included in the download.

Please clarify. Thanks!

Mark Phelps
August 31st, 2010, 02:28 PM
You're thinking in MS Windows terms. This is Linux, NOT MS Windows.

Hardware drivers, including chipset, are installed by default during the initial installation. There is no inserting a CD of drivers needed. There is no running Windows Update to find current drivers needed.

As to video drivers, if you're seeing a graphical desktop, you already HAVE video drivers loaded. Don't go hunting around for other drivers or you will only trash your display.

What make/model video card/chip do you have? If it's Intel, the drivers have been installed. IF it's Nvidia or ATI, there MAY be newer drivers, but if it's ATI and it's NOT one of the newer HD 3x/4x/5x cards/chips, there are no newer drivers than the ones you already have installed.

Al_is_venting
August 31st, 2010, 06:19 PM
Thanks Mark!

I did the "boot from cd" to try Ubuntu and all is working great. It told me there is an ATI Video driver i should install but the picture is still great(will do anyway obviously)

Thanks for the help!