PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide: Sennheiser HD555 vs. HD448

damnated
August 29th, 2010, 06:25 PM
I'm looking for a new pair of headphones, and I basically narrowed down my search to just these 2, but I can't really decide.

I read numerous reviews, and although they all reassured me that these were indeed good headphones, I can't get a clear idea which is better. I am aware that the HD555 is an open headphone and that it's more expensive, but that's not really an issue, as long as it's indeed better.

I need a pair of headphones for music listening exclusively, from a computer without any amplification.
Also, if anyone can direct me to something better in the same price range (max. 100 euros), feel free to do so.

I'm looking mostly for opinions based on personal experience :popcorn:

Dixon Bainbridge
August 29th, 2010, 09:49 PM
Unless you have insanely transparent and accurate source and amp, you wont hear much change from most headphones. Just like speakers, they are only as good as the source and amp driving them. Mediocre headphones can sound great with a good clean current going to them, fantastic headphones will sound terrible if you send poor current down them.

If its for plugging into a computer, just get the cheaper ones.

Also, you listen to headphones, not look at them or read about them. The best judge is your ears, not a review. So, go to a hifi shop and test drive them :)

BuffaloX
August 29th, 2010, 10:55 PM
If you want to be able to distinguish even the tiniest details closed are best, if you want to just relax and enjoy the music, I personally much prefer open, because the are much more comfortable.

I have Sennheisser PX 100 (open), surprisingly good sound really light and comfortable. They are only about 30 Euro, I think you need to be very demanding to notice any significant difference to more expensive headphones.

Computers can absolutely have good audio quality, better than most portable players. If it doesn't quality audio devices for computers are cheap nowadays.

Even compressed audio is usually OK if it's 256kb or better.

damnated
August 30th, 2010, 12:47 AM
Also, you listen to headphones, not look at them or read about them. The best judge is your ears, not a review. So, go to a hifi shop and test drive them :)
Unfortunately this is not an option, as I live in a town with 150k population, where a more specific audio store is merely a dream ;).
I'm also planning to buy a better soundcard and I listen to lossless music almost exclusively now, so there should be a definite difference between a cheap and a more expensive pair of headphones.

suprman2020
August 30th, 2010, 02:12 AM
Do yourself a favor and check out head-fi.org.

russo.mic
August 30th, 2010, 07:24 AM
I'm an audio engineer, and I hear much difference in different pairs of headphones. After having used them all under the sun, the best bang for your buck are from Grado Labs, in my opinion. The SR80s are really nice sounding, and only around 80 on ebay.

In my opinion, the sennheiser headphones always sounded too boomy for my tastes. Your kinda paying for a name a little bit with sennheiser, sony (although the MDS7500's do sound good...), Beyerdynamic, etc...

Consider a pair of grado labs! I'm actually sitting next to my mixing engineer buddy, and he agrees, the sennheisers are way boomy.

Russo

oldsoundguy
August 30th, 2010, 07:34 AM
IF (big IF) you can find them .. Sennheiser 414 .. classic open air and probably one of the best medium priced phones ever made. I have a pair I have had for YEARS and only have had to replace the pads.

Henry Flower
August 30th, 2010, 09:29 AM
After having used them all under the sun, the best bang for your buck are from Grado Labs, in my opinion. The SR80s are really nice sounding, and only around 80 on ebay.

Unfortunately Grados work out very expensive in Europe. Otherwise I completely agree (and disagree with the first few posters) that headphones make a big difference (much more than source or amplification, IMO).

Damnated - what kind of music do you listen to? What headphones have you used and liked so far? Knowing that would help us give more specific answers.

damnated
August 30th, 2010, 10:52 AM
Now I have a Sennheiser HD201 (closed) and this has a very thin sound, with little attention to detail.
I listen to a lot a different kind of music, so it's hard to pinpoint a particular sound, but what I want is basically a clear, detailed sound. And comfortable earpads.

Henry Flower
August 30th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Well, I've had the 201 and 555 - the 555 is much better - slightly warm in tone, but everything's there. They're good all-rounders, and very comfortable.

The 448 I don't know first-hand; they don't look so comfortable, and open headphones tend to sound better at a given pricepoint than closed ones.

Since you have a budget of 100 euros, you might stretch to the 595: a step up again from the 555, and they go for about 100 pounds in the UK.

pwnst*r
August 30th, 2010, 06:20 PM
Unless you have insanely transparent and accurate source and amp, you wont hear much change from most headphones.

Wow, so far from the truth.

OP, I prefer the 555's, but you'll need fairly quiet surrounds to enjoy fully.

damnated
August 30th, 2010, 06:34 PM
Wow, so far from the truth.

OP, I prefer the 555's, but you'll need fairly quiet surrounds to enjoy fully.

I have my own, quiet room, so isolation is not really a factor :)

Frederick001
July 6th, 2011, 08:53 AM
Sennheiser headphones are good quality headphones which are available in the market and these headphones are available at great discount to help you get them with ease. So, I suggest if you are planning to opt for headphones then you can look for the other options also available for you online.

aeiah
July 6th, 2011, 09:24 AM
Sennheiser headphones are good quality headphones which are available in the market and these headphones are available at great discount to help you get them with ease. So, I suggest if you are planning to opt for headphones then you can look for the other options also available for you online.

its been nearly a year. its safe to say OP isnt still looking for headphones...

hhh
July 6th, 2011, 01:09 PM
^Dammit, didn't see that. /edit