PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Patching Ubuntu Kernel to 2.6.35.4

silverwolf5
August 29th, 2010, 05:59 PM
Hi, I'm new to Ubuntu and Linux, I've installed recently the latest version of Ubuntu (64 bits) on my notebook (Acer Aspire 5535), which has an AMD Athlon X2 QL-62, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3200 and 4GB of RAM.
The system runs pretty well, but I experience some hangups from time to time, resuming from hibernation won't show any image which forces me to shutdown the computer, and some ubuntu applications lock up, like the Administration > System Test (if I decide not to give admin priveleges).

I believe this is something to do with the kernel (using the 2.6.32-24-generic actually), I intend to patch it to the newest stable release in www.kernel.org (http://www.kernel.org) which is 2.6.35.4. After I download it I used the command: "patch -E -p1 <patch 2.6.35.4" I do get lots of *.rej files, I believe to be some error files. I also tried the same command with "sudo".

I restart the system and nothing happens, I end up with the same kernel.
Is there an easy way to do this step-by-step for noobs and keeping all drivers/programs/and graphical appeareance?

Thank you.

davidmohammed
August 29th, 2010, 08:51 PM
pre packaged ubuntu specific kernels can be found here (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/MainlineBuilds?action=show&redirect=KernelMainlineBuilds) - you'll find the latest maverick kernel ready for you to install be just downloading and installing 3 deb files.

silverwolf5
August 30th, 2010, 02:20 PM
I've found the packages, but do I need to to install only the "image" or do I need the "header" also? For "amd64". (what the header is supposed to do anyway?)
I intend to keep everything as before, themes, drivers and such.

By the way, if it works ok, how do I remove the old kernel?

Thanks for the help.

dino99
August 30th, 2010, 04:23 PM
to remove old kernels:

into synaptic, you select it for deletion, that it (image+header)

to install from kernel mainline:

in that order:
- header-all
- header

of course, select the same kind of packages (i386 for 32 bits, amd64 for 64 system)

silverwolf5
August 30th, 2010, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the help guys, worked just fine.
Hopefully won't freeze anymore.
Thumbs up for you two. \\:D/