PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How can I use a diff package?

kg356
August 29th, 2010, 04:30 PM
Hi, this is my first post. I need to format my flashdrive to UFS file system. I enabled UFS write and read support by modifying the kernel. The only thing that I've found is ufsutils package - http://packages.ubuntu.com/maverick/ufsutils , but I don't know how to use it. I typed "patch" in terminal and it was unpacked. Just some files with *patch extension. Pls help

oldos2er
August 29th, 2010, 05:11 PM
Run
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install ufsutils then according to the package info, you should be able to run mkfs.ufs to format
your flash drive.

kg356
August 29th, 2010, 07:26 PM
Thanks for reply.
I downloaded it, but I can't format.

root@******:~# mkfs.ufs /media/C444-0C7F
mkfs.ufs: /media/C444-0C7F: failed to open disk for writingI'm running Ubuntu on a virtual machine, does it matter? The USB stick is attached via virtual machine, but I can write data on it.

And one more thing. There is a parameter that allows to select fs: UFS or UFS2.

-O file system format: 1=> UFS1, 2 => UFS2And I dunno how to use that parameter, I typed [ -O 2], [ -O2], [ -O: 2] etc. But it didn't seem to be a valid use of the parameter.

kg356
August 30th, 2010, 03:12 PM
bump

oldos2er
August 30th, 2010, 06:39 PM
I'm running Ubuntu on a virtual machine, does it matter?

I have no idea, sorry.

kg356
August 31st, 2010, 09:00 AM
Ok, so I'll try another way. I can't install any other os, because currently I have no enough free space on the HDD. I have a linux kernel with UFS r/w enabled. It's a deb package. Linux iso can be used as live cd, can't it? So I'll unpack squashfs and replace the kernel. But where is the kernel? What directory? Can I just replace the kernel using a file manager? Just unpack and replace the kernel? Then pack it to squashfs and burn as iso. Boot it and I have an Ubuntu install with the modified kernel? And I almost forgot one more thing, ufsutils are needed too. So if I run ubuntu from live cd, can I use sudo apt-get command and install any app I want?