PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problem with UFW

grimm08
August 29th, 2010, 04:22 PM
I have just set up a ubuntu server to serve as my central file storage. I also added a streaming media client, I have yet to get the uShare client to work correctly with my xbox but my gf's PS3 works with no problem.

The problem I keep having is that UFW is blocking the needed ushare port for my xbox, if some one could give me some help I would be greatfull. Since I do not want to use iptables unless there is no other option.

an0dos
September 2nd, 2010, 01:03 PM
bodhi.zazen has a guide to setting up firewall rules using UFW here:
http://blog.bodhizazen.net/linux/firewall-ubuntu-desktops/

You just need to allow communication over the port that the xbox uses.

BTW, UFW is a front-end for iptables.

wojox
September 2nd, 2010, 01:11 PM
If your using a router it can act as your firewall and just use port forwarding. ;)

an0dos
September 2nd, 2010, 02:38 PM
If your using a router it can act as your firewall and just use port forwarding. ;)

This too.

bodhi.zazen
September 2nd, 2010, 05:06 PM
I have just set up a ubuntu server to serve as my central file storage. I also added a streaming media client, I have yet to get the uShare client to work correctly with my xbox but my gf's PS3 works with no problem.

The problem I keep having is that UFW is blocking the needed ushare port for my xbox, if some one could give me some help I would be greatfull. Since I do not want to use iptables unless there is no other option.

What port do you need to allow ?

The basic syntax is

sudo ufw allow port#

Although you can also limit that by ip address as well.

dirtrider1
July 24th, 2011, 02:09 AM
I also have this problem even after allowing the port in ufw the Xbox360 says cannot connect Firewall blocking but with Ufw disabled it work's perfectly?

bodhi.zazen
July 24th, 2011, 03:15 AM
I also have this problem even after allowing the port in ufw the Xbox360 says cannot connect Firewall blocking but with Ufw disabled it work's perfectly?

The order of your rules makes a difference.

Start a new thread, as opposed to hijacking an old one, and post your rules.