PDA

View Full Version : New Guy with a Few Questions about Ubuntu

hbliss23
August 29th, 2010, 04:17 PM
Well recently I had a little bit of luck to find some computer parts, and put a computer together. Right now it's a Celeron @ 4.3 Ghz, 1 GB DDR2 4300, 80 GB, ATI 2600 XT, and I don't really know what to do with it, which is why I'm wondering about Ubuntu. I use my computers for mostly gaming and overclocking, which is why I don't quite understand why Linux would be a good choice for me.

This computer could be up for anything really, and I want to know if this forum knows things that a Linux beginner would enjoy learning. I think it'd be pretty neat to learn Linux, although honestly I don't know the first thing about it. I apologize for my heavily obvious noobiness, but I'm at the mercy of the forum.

Thanks!

devondashla
August 29th, 2010, 04:33 PM
Well recently I had a little bit of luck to find some computer parts, and put a computer together. Right now it's a Celeron @ 4.3 Ghz, 1 GB DDR2 4300, 80 GB, ATI 2600 XT, and I don't really know what to do with it, which is why I'm wondering about Ubuntu. I use my computers for mostly gaming and overclocking, which is why I don't quite understand why Linux would be a good choice for me.

This computer could be up for anything really, and I want to know if this forum knows things that a Linux beginner would enjoy learning. I think it'd be pretty neat to learn Linux, although honestly I don't know the first thing about it. I apologize for my heavily obvious noobiness, but I'm at the mercy of the forum.

Thanks!

Try Linux Mint, it's fabulous for Linux Beginners.
http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

kaldor
August 29th, 2010, 04:36 PM

This is the Ubuntu Forum. The level of help here is great and we have a large community. As long as you have an open mind and the willingness to learn, you'll do just fine with Linux.

However, if you want a more "oldschool" Linux experience, grab a copy of Gentoo and try asking for help on their forums. ;)

Naiki Muliaina
August 29th, 2010, 04:41 PM
I use my computers for mostly gaming and overclocking, which is why I don't quite understand why Linux would be a good choice for me.

Although Linux does have a few absolutely cracking games, I would say if your a gamer, Linux may not be for you. Windows still has far more modern games than Linux has.

If you want to play Windows games under Linux, check out an application called WINE. Its something that can be done, but certainly doesnt work for every game.

Also, check out both of Ubuntu Forums sub forums, Gaming and Leisure and Wine.

http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=93

http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=313

hbliss23
August 29th, 2010, 04:42 PM
Try Linux Mint, it's fabulous for Linux Beginners.
http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

Well that Linux Mint OS is very appealing, thanks for the suggestion. Now, what separates a beginner from a Linux expert? More specifically what do experts know most that beginners are striving to learn? (Also, are drivers required when installing Linux? And do Linux computers work well as storage servers? It'd be nice to have some backup space for my main computer.)

conradin
August 29th, 2010, 04:49 PM
I recommend Ubuntu, and learning to use the terminal, the real power of any linux is knowing how to leverage the terminal commands.
Heres a basic guide.
https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/basic-commands/C/index.html

linking multiple commands, and controlling stdin, stdout, and sterr will give you control of your system. Once you have control of your system, you'll know what you can and cant do. Good luck learning, we are here if you need us.

Naiki Muliaina
August 29th, 2010, 04:58 PM
Its true Conrad that terminal is powerful. But the guy wants to play games :) He shouldn't need to use terminal.

Ubuntu and Mint are the same thing with different skins and Mint comes with all the codecs installed. As far as separating expert from beginner, to be honest, same thing that separates them on Windows. Experts have a better idea of how to trouble shoot problems on the PC.

mr clark25
August 29th, 2010, 05:10 PM
Well that Linux Mint OS is very appealing, thanks for the suggestion. (1) Now, what separates a beginner from a Linux expert? More specifically what do experts know most that beginners are striving to learn? ((2)Also, are drivers required when installing Linux? (3) And do Linux computers work well as storage servers? It'd be nice to have some backup space for my main computer.)

1.this varies greatly. for me, i wanted to learn some simple (bash) scripting. bash seems a little crude, but it gets the job done.

2. no drivers are needed when you first install, but make sure you look in the "proprietary drivers" to see if you have any that can be used.

3.ubuntu and linux work VERY well as a storage server. if you want a bit of a beginner's challenge, try setting up a file server using ubuntu server edition without installing a user interface. i found that using a command line interface only is a great learning expireience. (i host my website myself, so i had to set up a webserver)

if you have anymore questions, feel free to ask.

Brunellus
August 29th, 2010, 08:33 PM
If your primary use is high-end gaming, Linux is not for you.

That said, I have been using Ubuntu since 2004 for almost everything. The only reason I boot into Windows now is to play a game of Civilization. My next computer will likely be a "wintendo" that boots win7 to do nothing but play games--for all other uses, I prefer Ubuntu.

mendhak
August 29th, 2010, 08:51 PM
You could just make this laptop your experimental machine. Use it to experiment, fiddle and learn Linux. Eventually you'll find a certain level of usage for yourself with it.

inobe
August 29th, 2010, 08:52 PM

Thanks!

i don't do any of that oc'ing and hardcore gaming anymore, although there are some decent games i don't do that.

if i wanted to play games i will use my game console.

i can oc the system and there are benchmark utilities but i don't have time for that anymore, i get lots of work done on my linux machines and will like to keep it that way.

murderslastcrow
August 29th, 2010, 09:14 PM
As a gamer, if you're going to use Linux, the AppDB at WineHQ will be a vital resource. Go there to see which of your games, or the games you plan to get, run in Wine. If they do, you can safely use Linux for all of them, but you may need to tweak a few things to get maximum performance.

Of course, Wine is not an official part of Ubuntu, and shouldn't be as it isn't complete software. It's very useful, but it's not a fair representation of Linux. The best thing about Linux is the software.

However, if all you do, or will do on your computer is play games, then the wealth of high quality programs available for Linux might not really matter to you.

However, there are many programs that have not been ported to run on anything but Linux that are very good. If you're interested in dual-booting or otherwise testing Linux software, I encourage you to do so, and keep your horizons open. Also, Linux is very safe and secure (overly safe and secure, I'd say, but you can never really be too careful). This makes it ideal for online banking or other web-centric tasks that may get you in trouble on Windows.

And, well, for everything but Windows programs, Linux really excels, so it's a much more pleasant experience than OSX or Windows if you have the programs you need.

mamamia88
August 29th, 2010, 09:24 PM
If this is just a secondary machine that you lucked out and got free parts or whatever for it why not give it a try it's free after all

inobe
August 29th, 2010, 09:29 PM
As a gamer, if you're going to use Linux, the AppDB at WineHQ will be a vital resource. Go there to see which of your games, or the games you plan to get, run in Wine. If they do, you can safely use Linux for all of them, but you may need to tweak a few things to get maximum performance.

Of course, Wine is not an official part of Ubuntu, and shouldn't be as it isn't complete software. It's very useful, but it's not a fair representation of Linux. The best thing about Linux is the software.

However, if all you do, or will do on your computer is play games, then the wealth of high quality programs available for Linux might not really matter to you.

However, there are many programs that have not been ported to run on anything but Linux that are very good. If you're interested in dual-booting or otherwise testing Linux software, I encourage you to do so, and keep your horizons open. Also, Linux is very safe and secure (overly safe and secure, I'd say, but you can never really be too careful). This makes it ideal for online banking or other web-centric tasks that may get you in trouble on Windows.

And, well, for everything but Windows programs, Linux really excels, so it's a much more pleasant experience than OSX or Windows if you have the programs you need.

i loved the way you explained that 8)

my attempt was to sum it up with less wording, i don't think my message will get across as good as yours did.

nicely said murderslastcrow

dFlyer
August 29th, 2010, 09:38 PM
Decide what you want to use linux for before you proceed. That really is not required but a good way to start. Otherwise you will get a bunch of replies that may not answer your questions. As far as using ubuntu or any linux distro as a server shouldn't be a problem, except for someone new trying to set it up.

MasterNetra
August 29th, 2010, 11:18 PM
If your primary use is high-end gaming, Linux is not for you.

That said, I have been using Ubuntu since 2004 for almost everything. The only reason I boot into Windows now is to play a game of Civilization. My next computer will likely be a "wintendo" that boots win7 to do nothing but play games--for all other uses, I prefer Ubuntu.

Civilization IV runs well for me under wine. O.o

Brunellus
August 29th, 2010, 11:30 PM
Civilization IV runs well for me under wine. O.o
I have never been able to get civ4 running stably in WINE, so I quit trying. I have a windows partition and I boot into that when I need my Civ fix. Besides, all civ4-on-WINE reports I've ever read seem to be "well, it mostly works."