PDA

View Full Version : Hackers accidentally give Microsoft their code

sulekha
August 29th, 2010, 03:32 PM
http://www.zdnetasia.com/hackers-accidentally-give-microsoft-their-code-62202449.htm

ja660k
August 29th, 2010, 04:19 PM
ha! there you go.
and i thought that "send error message" box was just to make the user feel good. Someone actually reads the errors.

NMFTM
August 29th, 2010, 05:02 PM
Haven't these crackers heard of a little invention called the virtual machine? And the idea of running one that's not connected to the Internet?

pwnst*r
August 29th, 2010, 05:03 PM
lol, owned

Naiki Muliaina
August 29th, 2010, 05:10 PM
Haven't these crackers heard of a little invention called the virtual machine? And the idea of running one that's not connected to the Internet?

The proper crackers... Yes...

The script kiddies that are downloading naughty software and running it... Nope... Probably not...

NMFTM
August 29th, 2010, 05:27 PM
The proper crackers... Yes...

The script kiddies that are downloading naughty software and running it... Nope... Probably not...
Maybe we should give them the benefit of the doubt and just assume that the stuff they're trying to develop is so low level that it can't be run virtually.

And the reason why they submitted the error report is because they got so into their work they just instinctively clicked "submit" button when the error reporter daemon came up.

I've noticed that in many instances there's an inverse connection between a person's 'book smarts' and their amount of common sense. They tend to get so wrapped up in the little details that they don't look at the big picture.

corrytonapple
August 29th, 2010, 05:45 PM
We should expect this. If they are willing to go to jail for hacking illegally, then they might not be so smart.

sydbat
August 29th, 2010, 06:26 PM
Well...2 things...

1) it's on znet

2) therefore it is highly questionable for any kind of accuracy (aka, I call BS)

alexan
August 29th, 2010, 06:32 PM
"Hackers" definition is finally extended to those who use kiddie script then?

Austin25
August 29th, 2010, 06:39 PM
Well then... What kind of Cracker/Hacker uses Windows as a development environment, and then clicks "send error report"?

Dustin2128
August 29th, 2010, 06:54 PM
Well then... What kind of Cracker/Hacker uses Windows as a development environment, and then clicks "send error report"?
your typical script kiddie.

Austin25
August 29th, 2010, 06:59 PM
your typical script kiddie.
Ah. Someone should send them a live CD and a copy of the jargon file.

Phrea
August 29th, 2010, 07:04 PM
I accidentally Microsoft my ID. ;)

inobe
August 29th, 2010, 07:41 PM
looks like the crackers owe microsoft a special "thank you"

doesn't microsoft know when to shut up ?

Dies
August 29th, 2010, 08:20 PM

When I see those dialogs I actually wonder if it even matters which one is clicked...

inobe
August 29th, 2010, 09:05 PM
When I see those dialogs I actually wonder if it even matters which one is clicked...

i often wondered the same thing.

MasterNetra
August 29th, 2010, 10:58 PM
i often wondered the same thing.

when in doubt click the x button (if available) i say.

pwnst*r
August 29th, 2010, 11:49 PM
I accidentally Microsoft my ID. ;)

What.

witeshark17
August 30th, 2010, 12:32 AM
Haven't these crackers heard of a little invention called the virtual machine? And the idea of running one that's not connected to the Internet? Amazing, isn't it? :popcorn:

t0p
August 30th, 2010, 01:01 AM
I think this is a lot of bull, perhaps stemming from a couple of instances when it did happen. Script kiddies don't "develop" their own code - they use downloaded tools straight out of the box.

Remember, this story isn't gospel handed down from on high. It's ZDNet reporting what Heckman, a Microsoft stooge, said at a conference.

I believe that most malware developers use virtual machines or Windows-running boxes in a sandpit environment. I don't believe that the programmers who take advantage of the average user's willingness to click on 'OK' buttons willy-nilly are prone to the behaviour themselves.

brandenmikal
August 30th, 2010, 04:26 AM
Personally, Windows should be glad that a code is even being sent to them. If it were me; I would put in the code how much I despise them and their evil licensing agreements.

Microsoft is purely evil. It's true, my friend told me so.

Carpentr
August 30th, 2010, 04:46 AM
Interesting. Well maybe this means Microsoft did read all those error reports I sent when I used to use Windows ..... :)

inobe
August 30th, 2010, 05:29 AM
when in doubt click the x button (if available) i say.

ctrl+alt+del :lol:

ronnielsen1
August 30th, 2010, 10:00 AM
On average we get attacked between 7000 and 9000 times per second at Microsoft.com

That surprised me

lisati
August 30th, 2010, 10:09 AM
ctrl+alt+del :lol:

On a couple of the machines at a place I've recently been working (not in a tech-support capacity), that key combination is used to get to the login screen.