PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else starting to feel like Facebook is getting stale?

Madspyman
August 29th, 2010, 07:56 AM
Seems like not much has changed in terms of innovative features, and every time they do release something new it's considered a privacy issue. Right now it's nicest feature is it's 500 million users. I've got contacts who only use Facebook, so I'm inclined to stay, but otherwise my Facebook serves no purposes. Anybody else feel the same way?

mikewhatever
August 29th, 2010, 08:03 AM
What other purposes do you expect?

Khakilang
August 29th, 2010, 08:03 AM
I use Facebook to keep in touch with old friend and some game to play. Otherwise it is a bored.

mendhak
August 29th, 2010, 09:56 AM
FB has a purpose? I thought it was created as a platform for playing farmville and reading about how many cows your friends have milked in the past 2 hours.

DrMelon
August 29th, 2010, 09:57 AM
Getting stale? It got stale a couple of months after it started, mate.

era86
August 29th, 2010, 10:23 AM
Lame after they let people other than fellow college students sign up.

Oxwivi
August 29th, 2010, 10:37 AM
I just use it to comment on friend's status and posts. And keep track of some things like the Ubuntu page I signed up to instead of getting Twitter.

Naiki Muliaina
August 29th, 2010, 10:39 AM
Unless you have a specific use for it FB has always been stale. :)

murderslastcrow
August 29th, 2010, 11:31 AM
As a backer, I'm interested in moving my networking over to Diaspora. Even if it only ends up being a plug to Facebook that will allow me to keep my data on my own server as well, as well as show Facebook how important my privacy is, it will be good for me.

Of course, the privacy issue isn't the only reason Diaspora appeals to me.

Having an extensible, ad-free, user-directed social network is very important to me. Just as the man who created the World Wide Web had wanted, I think Diaspora has a greater potential for collaboration and really bringing people together than a place like Facebook.

For many people Facebook was a slightly more interactive, lighter, and less cumbersome version of MySpace. I don't think we should just be refining the same old thing, as Facebook has kind of shown the end-of-life of that model.

I want to be able to customize how I experience my social networking- even the color scheme. I cannot tell you how much I loathe the hue of blue used on Facebook. I know why they use it, as it communicates professionalism as well as a calm, open emotion, but it just gets old so fast for me.

But more than that, the functionality of my social network should be able to scale. Just as I've seen with Android and Ubuntu, the possibilities are endless, and the integration is beautiful, because no one is closed off, nothing is motivated by monopolizing the technology, so the best software can be produced. If Diaspora scales in this way, I can see people feeling very inhibited by Facebook after trying it.

After all, a Facebook with just one or two more features and no ads would probably be very interesting and favorable for most Facebook users. A social network isn't something that's so difficult to create, after all. It's fairly simple when you come to think of it.

Spice Weasel
August 29th, 2010, 11:42 AM
I've never liked social networking. Seems pointless to me. I only really use IM clients.

usagiakumu
August 29th, 2010, 11:44 AM
Honestly, I think all social network sites are pretty much stale. Made for tweans and teens. As an adult who grew up with SNES and N64, I missed this whole revolution thankfully. I wish that social networking would just go away. What ever happened to just going over to the person's house and chilling in front of a gaming machine or going camping?

Naiki Muliaina
August 29th, 2010, 12:12 PM
To be honest, the internet happened...

Social networking websites are far from useless. I started work when I was 16. Most of my mates went to college. Some mates moved out of the area as we got to college age. When I got to 18, mates left college, moved off to go to Uni. The ones that stayed in London seemed to move to the far side of town or left London when they finished Uni.

At the age of 16 there was a group of 40+ of us that used to hang out up my local park on summer evenings. By the age of 22, I could count on one hand how many of us were living within quick journey distance. As you grow older all friends move away from each. Its an unfortunate thing in life.

Had the intertubes and social networking been around back then I would have loved to stay in touch with my mates. Feels to late now, wouldn't know where to start looking for old mates online.

Theres some good uses for social networking, and I hope for the younger generations it sticks about. Just at this time in my life its a bit late for me eh?

NovaAesa
August 29th, 2010, 12:26 PM
I quite FB many months ago. It was most certainly getting stale (and was a terrible waste of time).

red_Marvin
August 29th, 2010, 12:44 PM
I don't see what you mean with 'getting stale' ...what did you expect from it to begin with?

Madspyman
August 29th, 2010, 06:07 PM
I don't see what you mean with 'getting stale' ...what did you expect from it to begin with?

Something that wouldn't eventually turn into Myspace. I've realized though that as long as social networks exist idiots will turn them into Myspace. We need a Myspace proof social network.

era86
August 29th, 2010, 07:15 PM
Honestly, I think all social network sites are pretty much stale. Made for tweans and teens. As an adult who grew up with SNES and N64, I missed this whole revolution thankfully. I wish that social networking would just go away. What ever happened to just going over to the person's house and chilling in front of a gaming machine or going camping?

Well.. How do you let someone know you and a couple of friends want to hang out somewhere? You pick up the phone, dial the number, tell them the logistics, and go. Before you go, you must repeat the process for all your friends.

Or, you update your status via twitter or facebook, all your friends interested in hanging out see it, whoever can make it, makes it.

red_Marvin
August 29th, 2010, 08:48 PM
Something that wouldn't eventually turn into Myspace. I've realized though that as long as social networks exist idiots will turn them into Myspace. We need a Myspace proof social network.

Maybe one should start an asocial networking site (:

Madspyman
August 29th, 2010, 08:51 PM
Maybe one should start an asocial networking site (:

lol correctly marketed that might actually catch on.

inobe
August 29th, 2010, 09:01 PM
no offense but fakebook is pointless and a complete waste of time unless one is extremely sad and lonely and desperately needs a date with someone that is more than likely fake anyway :P

btw ubuntu forums is a useful social networking site.

Naiki Muliaina
August 29th, 2010, 09:05 PM
no offense but fakebook is pointless and a complete waste of time unless one is extremely sad and lonely and desperately needs a date with someone that is more than likely fake anyway :P

Ahh so ya spend a lot of time there yaself do ya? Dont worry, im sure you will get a date some day ;)

inobe
August 29th, 2010, 09:08 PM
Ahh so ya spend a lot of time there yaself do ya? Dont worry, im sure you will get a date some day ;)

i'm glad i pressed that button :P

lancest
August 29th, 2010, 09:11 PM
Good place to find people.
Once that's done I often ask them to contact me elsewhere.
Privacy issues.

SoFl W
August 29th, 2010, 09:14 PM
Social media has gotten stale.
Do you honestly think that you are so important that the world needs to know what you are up to? People need to put down their Ipads, their Iphones, and their Ipods, and realize they are not as important as they think they are.

NMFTM
August 29th, 2010, 10:13 PM
Except for the site being horribly coded, and by that I mean. It was so slow I couln't even use their new Java interface to upload pictures on my 1.5GHz P4 processor without Firefox crashing or freezing up for at least 15 minutes. I don't think MySpace was a bad site. Although I haven't used it in about nine months after deleting my profile, so I can't say what it's like now.

But the main gripes I had with the site were: the stupid bulletins people would post, people's profiles being so horribly designed (more than 3 colors, 50 flash movies, lots of moving GIF images, etc) that I felt like gouging my eyes out, people uploading 50 new pictures a week, more and more people making their profiles private (despite it being a SOCIAL networking site), and the fact that I barely used it to talk to anyone because of the fact that I don't really have many friends.

But, of all of those. None of them can be laid directly at the feet of the developers. It's the people using the site, not the site it's self. I actually liked the fact that the profiles were very customizable. I spent a good amount of time fine tuning mine to be fast loading and appealing to the eye. But, apparently most other people didn't. It would be like blaming Ford because someone used their car to start running people over on the sidewalk.

MJWitter
August 29th, 2010, 10:56 PM
I don't have too many issues with Facebook. I think they handle privacy very poorly, that's a given. I just find the site useful for sharing photo's with a few friends, finding out about events, catching up with old friends/family. Nothing more, nothing less. I often look at other things which I believe could be better, and hope they will.

For example, I think Google has some great products which combined could be a wonderful social experience if done properly, Picasa, Gmail, Docs, Calendar, Buzz, Profiles etc and mixing Wave technologies into the system for collaboration/chat rooms could be great. It all just needs to be put together seamlessly, which I think they have realised and are slowly working towards.

The way it is going, from Gmail one will soon be able to email, chat, text message, phone or video chat with pretty much anyone, straght from the one interface. Throw events and birthdays into calendar with integration into Gmail and Picasa photo tagging of friends getting added to contacts and they are slowly moving in an interesting direction!

I am also keeping an eye on Diaspora and hope it turns out to offer something new.

murderslastcrow
August 30th, 2010, 12:30 AM
To be honest, Facebook is merely a platform that plugs into other peoples' accounts. So, if your friends are stale and uninteresting, you can expect Facebook to be a pointlessly disturbing experience.

It's basically like a forum where you only hear things from people you want to hear, and in one convenient place. I don't see what makes Facebook any more stale than this forum, to be honest.

It all depends on the content. And, for a while, people have been finding that Facebook doesn't give them a lot of variety or customizable focus. But really, for me, my friends quit their IM services to use Facebook, and everyone but the graphic designers and gamers might as well have their browsers in fullscreen all day, since all they use their computers for is the internet. Some of them have sold their computers as they realize they don't need anything more than their Android phones anymore.

The fact is that, for Grannies and casual computer users, other than research, the internet has always been there merely as a form of interpersonal communication with people close to them.

So, for those people, Facebook is a huge comfort, as they don't need email and talking at length to get the same information about another's status or life. For non-techy people who use computers only for communication and printing documents, Facebook is a revolution. Their new OS.

This is why people say the desktop is dying. Because smartphones fill the needs of most users already today. After getting the EVO, even a developer and multimedia designer like me has spent less and less time on my desktop, even though KDE 4 is truly engrossing. Sadly, having something similar to KDE on my person at all times has reduced the significance of having a desktop for me. I could just as easily look at the widgets I have on Android and do some Facebook there on my phone and keep my multimedia applications fullscreen (Blender, GIMP, Inkscape, Jokosher, Maya, etc.).

I think us more technically inclined people don't realize that, due to the nature of computers, they are meant for a massive variety of tasks. However, there's nothing keeping these tasks bound to toolkits on the desktop, and internet communication is the one linking factor among most computer users. It wasn't this way back in 1995.

So, while I'm sure Linux will continue to provide innovation and help the web integrate more easily with mimetypes and semantic data on the desktop, we should recognize that most people get along fine without these improvements, and would just as easily use Facebook or Google exclusively as opposed to seeking interoperability.

Cam!
August 30th, 2010, 12:39 AM
Facebook is cold and lifeless, at this point. I've been saying this for years: Social Network platforms often begin to die when they get more complex and feature intensive. FB is pretty much repeating what killed MySpace.

Soon, Twitter will be the top dog, and without a doubt we'll see new features on Twitter that'll make people say "Ugh! Remember the old days?". The K.I.S.S. principle is perfect to describe Social Networks.

sdowney717
August 30th, 2010, 01:44 AM
Face Book is so shallowly fake, you should call it Fake Book.

Everyone is friends with everyone else.
You will have friends you will never meet and if you did, most likely the meeting would not be very friendly.

Ctrl-Alt-F1
August 30th, 2010, 02:42 AM

That's an interesting theory because me AND my wife use it ;)

era86
August 30th, 2010, 03:05 AM
Social media has gotten stale.
Do you honestly think that you are so important that the world needs to know what you are up to? People need to put down their Ipads, their Iphones, and their Ipods, and realize they are not as important as they think they are.

Except some people do care what their friends are up to. That's the point right? We are social beings, are we not? You can seemingly lose touch with an old friend, but still keep up with their life via status updates.

inobe
August 30th, 2010, 05:15 AM
That's an interesting theory because me AND my wife use it ;)

then of course it's purpose is to gather family and true friends from the past and everyones happy.

otherwise what i posted still stands :P

inobe
August 30th, 2010, 05:26 AM
Except some people do care what their friends are up to. That's the point right? We are social beings, are we not? You can seemingly lose touch with an old friend, but still keep up with their life via status updates.

i don't think it has anything to do with being anti social !

how do you know if that friend is even computer literate, create a fakebook account blindly hoping you will get contacted by someone from the past ?

that doesn't make sense, the way i see it's usefulness is meeting new people, dating, pretending to be someone they are not and all the other ways one can be tricked into.

family and friends can call us, email us, write to us, text us, i.m. us, heck they can even stop by the house or tell us to meet up with them at a hotspot and so on ..........

other than trying to get a date it's a most useless site.

beew
August 30th, 2010, 06:59 AM
I have facebook, but I only check in once or twice a week for no more than 10 minutes. I keep an account just to get event invitations. I never understand why people would spend so much time on facebook. They should get a life.

Denis Krajnc
August 30th, 2010, 08:22 AM
Some of you probably expect to much, because you don't even know what to expect. Facebook is good at what is build to do. That is to be social network... Over 5 mio people using it, bunch of games, applications, support for videos, pictures,...
What do you want more?

murderslastcrow
August 30th, 2010, 08:46 AM
I have to agree with those that say our expectations are too high.

Again, I will reiterate the point that your mileage may vary, as it depends on how you use it and who your friends are. For many people, Facebook is really fun because of who they've added. Also, to many older people, it's a nice way to stay in touch, where as before they had lost touch with many of their friends. Perhaps some geeks out there are hermit-like enough to forget just how important this kind of reinforcement is for the majority of normal people? It's part of the reason why this community itself is so lively.

Also, 'everyone is everyone's friend, it's so fake' only applies if you're actually such a sap you'll add anyone who asks you. I deny and ignore plenty of requests. Most of the time I'm subtle, but many times I'll straight up say, "I'm somewhat selective with who I add to my facebook- it doesn't mean I don't like you."

And seriously, the IM features are the only reason I came back, as my best friends used it primarily outside of texting. I quit Facebook originally when it had no chat, and as I had made a personal decision not to have a cell phone, it was very difficult to communicate when they stopped using MSN/AOL/Yahoo!.

Naiki Muliaina
August 30th, 2010, 10:17 AM
then of course it's purpose is to gather family and true friends from the past and everyones happy.

otherwise what i posted still stands :P

Ya posts rubbish and based off ya own experience :P Go find a few dating sites boy :)

Facebook has its uses. From what I saw there was quite a wide range of people using it. It did not always have the games and stuff did it? When I first used to look at it, the pages looked... Cleaner?

Actually that is something that has always put me off facebook. The layout. Every time I have thought 'lets give facebook a go' I have made an account, had a look about, and thought 'how the ruddy heck do I do anything? Where do I start?'. I would say something I would definitely try is a facebook with a cleaner interface without all the game and survey chaff on it. But everyone uses facebook so it would probably end up one of them quiet corners of the internet eh?

Anyone tried Freindster or any other all alternatives? How do they fare?

bigseb
August 30th, 2010, 10:40 AM
I stopped using mine long time ago. No point really...

Stale? Understatement.

spillage2
August 30th, 2010, 11:06 AM
I myself hate facebook and find it to blinkered. The general idea is great but there to much rubbish on there.

The chat feature for example is a good idea but I should be able to choose who I want to be able to send me messages and who can see me online!!!!

You should be able to create groups within your friends and each group should have it own privileges.

I dont want to have suggested friends I'm sure I can choose myself.

More ability to have it how I want would be nice..

But hey thats not gonna happen any time soon...

m4tic
August 30th, 2010, 12:52 PM
All my friends are always online on facebook. I've saved a lot of money by not sending sms's and birthday cards. Plus the privacy thing has been blown way out of proportion.

Oh, to put an end to this thread. Facebook is for FRIENDS! If you do not have real friends it's pointless for you, I'm not ready to forget my friends so I won't be quitting facebook.

eclipse____
August 30th, 2010, 04:41 PM
I don't really be a fan of facebook, but all my friends have a account. I hate the interface and the difficulty wen I started.

But I spend a bit of time each day there. Just to make appointments with my friends, looking for fun events and holding contact with old friends witch I just will forgot without facebook. Charing foto's you even don't now ware taken. News about favorite bands. Never forget a birthday anymore.

Just to be up to date.

MasterNetra
August 30th, 2010, 05:02 PM
This thread is getting stale as Owen's (from Total Drama Island) underpants. :P

Austin25
August 30th, 2010, 05:32 PM
Yeah, it's much better here at ubuntuforums.

era86
August 30th, 2010, 05:44 PM
that doesn't make sense, the way i see it's usefulness is meeting new people, dating, pretending to be someone they are not and all the other ways one can be tricked into.

family and friends can call us, email us, write to us, text us, i.m. us, heck they can even stop by the house or tell us to meet up with them at a hotspot and so on ..........

You are clearly lost in regards to how Facebook is used by most of its 5 million users... Age gap perhaps? :D

If I get a new car (and I'm not paranoid about people knowing), I can send an update to Facebook, and all of my friends and family will know about it, even if they are people I haven't talked to since grade school. It's as if we never lost touch. If I want to play basketball at the park, I send the update to my Facebook. If any of my friends want to play, they'll comment it, share it with others, or text me to confirm a time. I didn't have to do anything more than type text in a box! Convenient I'd say...

I'll reiterate what someone else already said:

Oh, to put an end to this thread. Facebook is for FRIENDS! If you do not have real friends it's pointless for you, I'm not ready to forget my friends so I won't be quitting facebook.

This is why most people use it. And most new people you meet via Facebook are through people you already know. So sure, date mutual friends if that's your intention (well, not you specifically)! Unless you accept friend requests from pr0n spam, you are pretty safe from the "fakebook" daters. :)

inobe
August 30th, 2010, 09:45 PM
You are clearly lost in regards to how Facebook is used by most of its 5 million users... Age gap perhaps? :D

If I get a new car (and I'm not paranoid about people knowing), I can send an update to Facebook, and all of my friends and family will know about it, even if they are people I haven't talked to since grade school. It's as if we never lost touch. If I want to play basketball at the park, I send the update to my Facebook. If any of my friends want to play, they'll comment it, share it with others, or text me to confirm a time. I didn't have to do anything more than type text in a box! Convenient I'd say...

ever forward an email or engage in a three way phone conversation, what's wrong with meeting up face to face instead of digitally appearing :P

i look at it this way, if my friends and family can't call me i certainly wouldn't waste my time on myface or yourface :lol:

era86
August 30th, 2010, 10:06 PM
ever forward an email or engage in a three way phone conversation, what's wrong with meeting up face to face instead of digitally appearing :P

Email and phone aren't engaging digitally? I happen to find Facebook more of a convenience for quick conversations. And the more convenient the web makes my life, I'm all for it.

I'll give you the face to face thing though. Nothing beats physically interacting with others, but it's not like you'll just show up to a friends place and say "hi wanna hang out?!?!?". Or maybe you would, to each his/her own right? :D

i look at it this way, if my friends and family can't call me i certainly wouldn't waste my time on myface or yourface :lol:

As said before, if your friends aren't on FB, then there is no need for you to sign up. For most people, their friends are among the 5 million users on it. Stale? Not any time soon.

mamamia88
August 30th, 2010, 10:23 PM
I just started using it to keep in touch with people going to school across country

Austin25
August 30th, 2010, 10:35 PM
I never joined facebook, so I'm allowed to say:

What is this "facebook" of which you speak?:confused:
:lolflag:

sandyd
August 31st, 2010, 01:37 AM
yeah, but I believe that Facebook is less of a dating site than ubuntu forums.

Do you know how many more people have called my hawt here instead of facebook?

yeah... that was a bit inappropriate.

inobe
August 31st, 2010, 01:54 AM

hey carly i'm merely stating the facts that don't apply to everyone.

it's your guess or their's whether or not the facts are mere assumptions, btw glad to see you stop by, it's been a wile :)

DogMatix
August 31st, 2010, 01:58 AM
It's as satisfying as a Happy Meal and the toys inside about as good

Naiki Muliaina
August 31st, 2010, 07:39 AM
hey carly i'm merely stating the facts that don't apply to everyone.

it's your guess or their's whether or not the facts are mere assumptions, btw glad to see you stop by, it's been a wile :)

Not facts, your opinions, and they are a long way away from the facts :P

amitabhishek
August 31st, 2010, 09:40 AM
If I need to get in touch with someone I normally make a phone call.

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/TECH/social.media/08/30/facebook.narcissism.mashable/index.html?hpt=Sbin#fbid=L4iKWdB6PJw&wom=false

markp1989
August 31st, 2010, 11:58 AM
I very rarely use the facebook site, i just use facebook chat through pidgin as more of my friends use facebook compared to msn messenger now days.

Grenage
August 31st, 2010, 12:04 PM
Facebook is, like most things, what you make of it.

limestone
August 31st, 2010, 01:23 PM
I don't see the point with facebook etc... I have mail and cellphone, thats all i need.
I saw a documentary somewhere about the modern community.. The program presenter said she
was so stressed out due to all her sites, mail, twitter, facebook, messenger and don't remember the rest.
Ditch the crap! Wake up and be free, run around naked in the woods! No, thats probably illigal...
But don't use more than you need.

m4tic
August 31st, 2010, 01:29 PM
I don't see the point with facebook etc... I have mail and cellphone, thats all i need.
I saw a documentary somewhere about the modern community.. The program presenter said she
was so stressed out due to all her sites, mail, twitter, facebook, messenger and don't remember the rest.
Ditch the crap! Wake up and be free, run around naked in the woods! No, thats probably illigal...
But don't use more than you need.

There are also lots of people who don't see the point in linux and those who do. this is just one of those topics which will live for a long while without getting to point B

limestone
August 31st, 2010, 01:38 PM
There are also lots of people who don't see the point in linux and those who do. this is just one of those topics which will live for a long while without getting to point B

Yes, you're right but in my point of view Linux is an operating system which is stable and meets my need, Windows don't.
Also I'm just using one Os not all I can find for the heck of it.

But, with the deal of contacting people you don't need 4 sites that does the same job, right?
And with that I'm speaking to those who uses many sites, not those who just uses one. Thats ok in my philosophy.

hhh
August 31st, 2010, 09:30 PM
I hate the interface and the difficulty when I started.
You said it, brother!

inobe
September 1st, 2010, 02:15 AM
Not facts, your opinions, and they are a long way away from the facts :P

your opinion and not the facts !

:P

Naiki Muliaina
September 1st, 2010, 07:50 AM
your opinion and not the facts !

:P

Never said my opinion was fact ;) You were the fella that made the sweeping generalisation that everyone on facebook was desperately trying to find a girl friend. Yet clearly there are people on this thread who have other uses for it than desperately finding a girl friend.

:popcorn:

oldsoundguy
September 1st, 2010, 08:03 AM
why is it when someone expects more than is there of a site, regardless of the fact that the thing they are looking for was never there in the first place, they have to blather away about how BAD the site is?

Facebook has been something that I have learned to use. I have found long lost friends and associates from YEARS ago. I even found my DAUGHTER .. I had lost contact with her over 40 years ago.

So, for some, Facebook has been a GOOD experience.

(yea .. privacy is an issue if you are dumber than a ditch .. JUST SAY NO!!)

julio_cortez
September 1st, 2010, 08:14 AM
Well, I only add people I know (so I'd be more comfortable asking for a date by phone or face to face) so this doesn't apply to me..
But I must agree with you at least to some extent: the girl I'm currently seeing has lots of guys asking her friendship (or even asking her out) when playing FB games :)
We often play together, so I've also seen some of them..
And once it also happened to me, with a girl asking me out while playing Uno on FB :o

Oh gosh. I was about to do it too but I suppose I'm late, then :D
Joking, of course, before I get banned for some strange reason.. :P

ticopelp
September 1st, 2010, 02:52 PM
Facebook long since lost any appeal it might once have had for me. I leave my account active only because people email me to complain if I deactivate it. Once I reactivate it, I never hear from them again.

I read an article where cell phones were jokingly referred to as "pacifiers for adults" and I think that's what Facebook has largely become. It's much easier to just click a button or send your friends some crappy, privacy-invading game app than communicate meaningfully with them. If I'm going to stay in touch with people I'd rather do so in a way that means something.

So, it's not for me, but if other people get value out of it, good for them.

julio_cortez
September 1st, 2010, 03:08 PM
I considered leaving, too. But in the end it turns useful to keep contact with people I wouldn't see/hear from in other ways.
A friend of mine currently studies in Holland, and I have friends that I met at university that are all over my country: seeing them is quite impossible (they range from Südtirol to Sicily), so the only way I have to keep in touch with them is texting or, if I want some "longer" discussion, chatting (IM or FB chat).

It's not like I can't live without FB, but its "basic" features are very useful to keep in touch with people I already know.

whiskeylover
September 1st, 2010, 06:32 PM
i don't think it has anything to do with being anti social !

how do you know if that friend is even computer literate, create a fakebook account blindly hoping you will get contacted by someone from the past ?

So, if your friend isn't computer literate enough to create a facebook account, you expect him to know IM, email and text? Again, as someone else said - these are your opinions, not facts.

Again, your opinions. Besides there are people who actually have friends across international boundaries . Meeting face to face isn't an option in those cases.

As I have said many times - people here on UF make a big deal about facebook, when in fact they're the ones hanging out with random strangers on a Linux forum.

If I need to get in touch with someone I normally make a phone call.

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/TECH/social.media/08/30/facebook.narcissism.mashable/index.html?hpt=Sbin#fbid=L4iKWdB6PJw&wom=false

That would totally work if everytime you wanted to talk to them, they'd be willing to give up whatever they're doing and answer your phone call. In most cases, its convenient for both parties to leave each other messages and reply to them in leisure. I don't understand the huge "high and mighty" attitude of these "facebook-is-for-losers" folks.

inobe
September 3rd, 2010, 03:45 AM
So, if your friend isn't computer literate enough to create a facebook account, you expect him to know IM, email and text? Again, as someone else said - these are your opinions, not facts.

Again, your opinions. Besides there are people who actually have friends across international boundaries . Meeting face to face isn't an option in those cases.

as that what you typed is also an opinion, i can respect *your* opinion and will, nobody hating ;)

many will agree with me that social networking sites are useful in meeting "new" people and less likely used for family.

Uncle Spellbinder
September 3rd, 2010, 10:58 PM
Facebook does what I want it to. Always has. Keep in touch with friends, find old friends and reconnect. Nothing stale about that.

JT9161
September 3rd, 2010, 11:17 PM
Facebook does what I want it to. Always has. Keep in touch with friends, find old friends and reconnect. Nothing stale about that.

This

gfe
September 4th, 2010, 03:16 PM
Yeah. It's good for some things, not for others. I don't see any reason to bad-mouth it. I keep my privacy settings fairly high and don't have any "friends" I don't know from elsewhere. So it's useful, but it doesn't consume my life.