PDA

View Full Version : How Secure is my password? It would take about~

Rasa1111
August 29th, 2010, 07:46 AM
5 Quadrillion Years for a desktop PC to crack my password. lol

Sorry if this is in the wrong place.
But I was just curious, as I post a lot of screenshots of my user and pc name, So I found a password tester on PC tech tips.com .

http://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/test-your-password-strength/

I checked out both of them,
linked on that site.

The first link, is where I got this screenshot from,
and the second link, said that my pswd was "very strong" at a bit under 80%.

I always thought it was probably quite good,
but never knew if it really was or not. lol

I thought some of you might also like to see how good the passwords you have chosen are.
and if they are as good as you thought, or better, or worse?

Mine appears to be better than I thought.

I checked out a couple other passwords i have for minor things,
and one of them would be crackable by a desktop PC in 6 days. But that's the worst I had. Another one i use was 5 years, and one other was about 607 thousand years. lol

Then, I tried the password my sister uses in her PC at her house,
(That i often help her with)So she gives it to me freely,
It would be cracked in...
you ready?....

30 seconds!

wow! lol
I always tell her to change it,
but she always says "eh, its easy to remember"
(and she is an anthropologist) / :lol:

maybe shell change it after this. lol

There are other people close to me, with equally weak passwords for their systems.

Crazy.

Of course, this is only if a single desktop PC was doing the work.

Legendary_Bibo
August 29th, 2010, 08:00 AM
My password is random. I have a PC hooked up to my laptop through a modem that I set up to accept a signal only once every ten minutes. My other computer uses an algorithm I created to create a 128 letter/number string broken up into groups of four for easy reading that it displays on the monitor hooked up to the other screen. It's never connected to the internet. It transmits this password in my config files to change the password on my laptop.

The above is a lie, and I'm pretty sure that thing would tell me I have a very weak password.

Rasa1111
August 29th, 2010, 08:13 AM
My password is random. I have a PC hooked up to my laptop through a modem that I set up to accept a signal only once every ten minutes. My other computer uses an algorithm I created to create a 128 letter/number string broken up into groups of four for easy reading that it displays on the monitor hooked up to the other screen. It's never connected to the internet. It transmits this password in my config files to change the password on my laptop.

The above is a lie, and I'm pretty sure that thing would tell me I have a very weak password.

haha, ohh man.
You had me for a minute!
I was thinking..
"maaan, now that's the kinda stuff I want to learn!" LOL :P

thought you were about to go all 'quantum encryption' on me. :lol:
That stuff fascinates me, but never even in 5 quadrillion years would I grasp some of that stuff. lol

Can't even use ToR properly. haha

Oh yeah.
I wanted to share the one that would take 30 seconds to crack, of my sisters~
"zeezee". lmaoo

Xianath
August 29th, 2010, 08:56 AM

My passwords actually *are* random and I don't even bother remembering them. I have a script running on my server that generates them for me based on a hashing algorithm I wrote that takes into account... some stuff. The only one I remember (rated 5 quadrillion years) is that of my SSH private key that I use to connect home. Simple.

Dayofswords
August 29th, 2010, 09:11 AM
My passwords actually *are* random and I don't even bother remembering them. I have a script running on my server that generates them for me based on a hashing algorithm I wrote that takes into account... some stuff. The only one I remember (rated 5 quadrillion years) is that of my SSH private key that I use to connect home. Simple.

so....how do you log in and how many years have you been with NSA?

Paqman
August 29th, 2010, 09:24 AM
Something to bear in mind ;)

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/security.png

Rasa1111
August 29th, 2010, 09:35 AM
Originally Posted by Xianath

niice!

LOL paqman, nice one. :D

our military builds large clusters with PS3's. lol

Legendary_Bibo
August 29th, 2010, 09:43 AM
niice!

LOL paqman, nice one. :D

our military builds large clusters with PS3's. lol

Not anymore, Sony removed Linux, and I think the military updated the PS3s and lost their clustering ability. I may be wrong, it's hard to tell what actually happened from PS3 fanboy conspirators .

Rasa1111
August 29th, 2010, 09:48 AM
yeah LB, I think you're right.

mendhak
August 29th, 2010, 09:50 AM
So, to test the security of my password, I'll need to go to this site I've never heard of before and enter my password?

On it!

koenn
August 29th, 2010, 09:54 AM
But I was just curious, as I post a lot of screenshots of my user and pc name, So I found a password tester on PC tech tips.com .

Except that you've submitted it to a web site, and for all you know that webmaster might have put up that password tester to collect strong passwords for his wordlist. So your password is now included in a dictionary attack, which will be considerably shorter than the 5 quadrillion years you boast.
Moreover, that webmaster can also log your IP address, so he knows on which computer that password you submitted is being used.

If you're going to be paranoid, at least do it right
:)

BigSilly
August 29th, 2010, 10:56 AM
There's no way! Who would type their passwords into this website? That's insanity!

Denis Krajnc
August 29th, 2010, 11:24 AM
It takes a huge level of stupidy to enter your password to that site.
The secure password is 32+ in length containing letters, numbers. And even that isn't 100% secure.

MooPi
August 29th, 2010, 01:59 PM
I've used some password cracking software and found that characters are what really throws the cracking software for a loop. So add a random symbol in the mix to choke the crackers.

Bachstelze
August 29th, 2010, 02:32 PM
The secure password is 32+ in length containing letters, numbers. And even that isn't 100% secure.

Hey, you avatar stealer. :(

kamaboko
August 29th, 2010, 04:33 PM
I prefer using 12345. It's so easy, no one will guess it.

mr clark25
August 29th, 2010, 04:51 PM
So, to test the security of my password, I'll need to go to this site I've never heard of before and enter my password?

On it!

thats exactly what i was thinking!

but, thats probably one of the very first things a "dictionary" attack would try...

FuturePilot
August 29th, 2010, 04:51 PM
Hey, you avatar stealer. :(

I thought that was you for a second. :(

wirate
August 29th, 2010, 06:18 PM
I entered my password and its 151 trillion years. Now I must change it :(

koenn
August 29th, 2010, 06:31 PM

make sure you test your new password as well, to check if it is at least as strong as the old one.

NCLI
August 29th, 2010, 06:34 PM
Is This Safe?

It is actually. I'm not harvesting passwords into an evil database. Of course that's exactly the sort of thing I would say if I were harvesting them. And it wouldn't be hard to do it: a couple of lines of code and I'd have all your passwords. Mwuhahahahahaa! But, to be honest, I don't know what I'd do with them. Make a cake perhaps.

The bit of code that does the calculations is done in JavaScript. And JavaScript is a "client-side" language. That means it runs on your computer – not on ours. No data ever travels from your computer back to the website. You can check this by loading up the webpage and then turning off your internet connection. You'll still be able to use the website to your heart's content.

However, for the super-paranoid among you, you could just type in something a bit like your password rather than your actual password. In fact, that's probably a good idea anyway. Just in case I'm lying.
Source (http://howsecureismypassword.net/faq/#safe)

Sounds safe. Anyway:
Desktop password
http://imgur.com/v0kFnl.jpg (http://imgur.com/v0kFn.png)
Server root
http://imgur.com/5Xopxl.jpg (http://imgur.com/5Xopx.png)
Router root
http://imgur.com/CUZtTl.jpg (http://imgur.com/CUZtT.png)

I think I should be safe xD

Austin25
August 29th, 2010, 06:53 PM
I tested the system, and I figured the supposed desktop takes between 1 and 10 microseconds to test a password. If it takes one cycle to test a password, that would be between 1 and 10 MHz.

BigSilly
August 29th, 2010, 06:56 PM
I think I should be safe xD

I think it's making those numbers up.

I wouldn't put my passwords into it, no matter the disclaimer says.

NCLI
August 29th, 2010, 07:29 PM
I followed the disclaimers advice and entered something constructed exactly like my password, not my actual password, then entered that :)

CharlesA
August 29th, 2010, 08:25 PM
My main password says 42 years, but it's not the best password. >.>

My private SSH key says it'll take 237 years. Could be better, I suppose, but meh.

My randomly generated passwords for websites = 2 trillion years. Hurray for password managers.

fatality_uk
August 29th, 2010, 08:26 PM
If anyone wants me to properly check their password with a special application I have created, just PM your password with your IP and I will send you a PM back with an analysis of your password. Please be sure to let me know (only to save me time you see) if this is your desktop password, server etc.

Old_Grey_Wolf
August 29th, 2010, 08:43 PM
I have a spreadsheet I use for generating passwords and passphrases. The first password it generated gave 6 trillion years to solve. The first passphrase it generated gave 565,892,495,532 nonillion years to solve.

CharlesA
August 29th, 2010, 09:00 PM
I have a spreadsheet I use for generating passwords and passphrases. The first password it generated gave 6 trillion years to solve. The first passphrase it generated gave 565,892,495,532 nonillion years to solve.
Nice.

Old_Grey_Wolf
August 29th, 2010, 09:35 PM
Nice.

I'm not to sure about the app. I have root, admin, superuser privileges on computers a work. I tried variations of a common password I see all the time, e.g., P@ssw0rd123, and it gave a million years to crack it.
:lolflag:
Those are the first ones I try if I'm not sure of the root, admin, superuser password on a new system.

And, what does nonillion mean?

Rasa1111
August 29th, 2010, 09:47 PM
Except that you've submitted it to a web site, and for all you know that webmaster might have put up that password tester to collect strong passwords for his wordlist. So your password is now included in a dictionary attack, which will be considerably shorter than the 5 quadrillion years you boast.
Moreover, that webmaster can also log your IP address, so he knows on which computer that password you submitted is being used.

If you're going to be paranoid, at least do it right
:)

Lol, I did.

I took that into consideration,
for about 15 minutes before I actually did it. lol

and I am not paranoid, or I would not have done it. lol

Just curious is all.

and for whatever it's worth, I changed my password slightly after doing this.
I kept it mostly the same, but a majority of it I changed in certain ways ,
and there will be no issues. lol

Boast? lol, I was just repeating the result, not boasting about "how secure i am". lol

CharlesA
August 29th, 2010, 09:49 PM
Anyone actually look at the sourcecode of the javascript?

Rasa1111
August 29th, 2010, 09:54 PM

yeah that's what I did.

Love how people are throwing around "how stupid" lol.
Maybe if one was a stupid person, it would be stupid to do.
But I am aware of what I need to be aware of.

So whose paranoid now? lol

If anyone wants me to properly check their password with a special application I have created, just PM your password with your IP and I will send you a PM back with an analysis of your password. Please be sure to let me know (only to save me time you see) if this is your desktop password, server etc.

Ohh sweet! what a service!

sending you all my passwords and what they are all for, now! :D
lol

Rasa1111
August 29th, 2010, 10:00 PM

I actually did look at it.
I am not *by far* the best at reading it,
but saw nothing to make me suspicious. lol

benerivo
August 29th, 2010, 10:02 PM
Doesn't Ubuntu grade your user account password? I pretty sure the Ubuntu installer gives a rating when you create your password during installation, but i don't know about the availability of that feature afterwards.

cra1g321
August 29th, 2010, 10:07 PM
a password i use which is important i tried -

says 17,884 nonillion years it would take :D

Old_Grey_Wolf
August 29th, 2010, 10:10 PM

Yes, I did.

MasterNetra
August 29th, 2010, 10:50 PM

linked on that site.

I thought some of you might also like to see how good the passwords you have chosen are.

and one of them would be crackable by a desktop PC in 6 days. But that's the worst I had. Another one i use was 5 years, and one other was about 607 thousand years. lol

you ready?....

30 seconds!

wow! lol

There are other people close to me, with equally weak passwords for their systems.

Crazy.

I imputed my strong OS password and it claimes it would take: About 565 septillion years. But after testing some mundane stuff, its clear the time isn't realistic. :/

Jonny87
August 30th, 2010, 12:14 AM
I was directed here from a topic that I was posting on

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9782019#post9782019

after asking the question of a site that is trust worthy. I'm not sure that my question has been answered though. I still think its hard to guarantee the true motifs of any site. As for using a slightly different password, I think it would have to be completely different as if you changed it just slightly and it was logged, then there would be at least an indication to the pattern of the password;

eg.
If you entered "abc123" then changed or had your actual one as "xyz789", the pattern is still the same, 3 letters followed by 3 numbers.

Does any one know off an app like john that runs on Ubuntu these days? Or even how to write something like a spreadsheet that would calculate it in an accurate way?

CharlesA
August 30th, 2010, 12:38 AM
Yes, I did.

I glanced over it, but didn't see anything bad.. soo.. :P

I was directed here from a topic that I was posting on

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9782019#post9782019

after asking the question of a site that is trust worthy. I'm not sure that my question has been answered though. I still think its hard to guarantee the true motifs of any site. As for using a slightly different password, I think it would have to be completely different as if you changed it just slightly and it was logged, then there would be at least an indication to the pattern of the password;

eg.
If you entered "abc123" then changed or had your actual one as "xyz789", the pattern is still the same, 3 letters followed by 3 numbers.

Does any one know off an app like john that runs on Ubuntu these days? Or even how to write something like a spreadsheet that would calculate it in an accurate way?

I'm not sure about how to do it via spreadsheet, but I'm curious about it as well.

Dustin2128
August 30th, 2010, 12:58 AM
And, what does nonillion mean?
10^30, or 1000000000000000000000000000000. In other words, well after the degenerate era, shortly before nucleons are starting to decay; the last stars have long since faded from the night sky.

JT9161
August 30th, 2010, 01:52 AM
~3 years for SSH private key pass, and of course you would need to get my public and private key files first

ve4cib
August 30th, 2010, 02:33 AM
My login password for my everyday laptop: About 3 quadrillion years
The password I use for PGP: About 565,892,495,532 nonillion years

smellyman
August 30th, 2010, 02:57 AM
Something to bear in mind ;)

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/security.png

Seriously, I saw a show where they got professional security guys/hackers to try and break into a companies network. They tried everything and couldn't get in.

They eventually got in by calling the help desk and pretending to be a user and got their password changed...:)

It's always the dumbest/easiest thing that works and usually involves dumb humans.

CharlesA
August 30th, 2010, 07:30 AM
Social engineering > brute force. The users are the weakest link.

julio_cortez
August 30th, 2010, 08:06 AM
I think that any sensible user wouldn't submit his/her actual password but something built in a similar way.

For example, if you have a password that is P@5sW0rD, you'd better insert something like U!4hT8fY which is built exactly in the same way but has nothing to do with it.

ve4cib
August 30th, 2010, 09:20 AM

Or one could open up Firebug and trivially see that no data is ever actually transmitted to an outside party, nor is anything you type ever stored in any way that would be accessible by a third-party.

Everything is done using JS, which runs locally, confined within your own browser. If your passwords were sent to the server then you'd be an idiot for typing them in. But this website looks to be safe in that respect.

Rasa1111
August 30th, 2010, 12:09 PM
10^30, or 1000000000000000000000000000000. In other words, well after the degenerate era, shortly before nucleons are starting to decay; the last stars have long since faded from the night sky.

haha, beautiful man! :D <3

and I also support wikileaks. :D
Respect <3 lol

Or one could open up Firebug and trivially see that no data is ever actually transmitted to an outside party, nor is anything you type ever stored in any way that would be accessible by a third-party.

Everything is done using JS, which runs locally, confined within your own browser. If your passwords were sent to the server then you'd be an idiot for typing them in. But this website looks to be safe in that respect.

+1

CharlesA
August 30th, 2010, 03:14 PM

+1.

Even if you were super paranoid, you could just save it and open in it a VM with no internet access...

Jaecyn42
August 30th, 2010, 03:26 PM
15 thousand years to crack my WPA-2 passcode...not bad at all. :D

Everything else was pretty weak though, less than 15 days to crack all my other minor passwords. Perhaps I should remedy that.

Simian Man
August 30th, 2010, 03:31 PM
The actual reality is that nobody cares about breaking any of your passwords in the first place.

Calash
August 30th, 2010, 03:44 PM
I can not put much stock in an app that calls the following a very strong and complex password

./././././././././

At least the other site says it would take 0 seconds to crack it ;)

koenn
August 30th, 2010, 05:15 PM
The actual reality is that nobody cares about breaking any of your passwords in the first place.

you've never seen logs of or threads about brute force / scripted attacks against, say, ssh on PC's with a public IP address, or threads about trouble with VNC and weak passwords ?

CharlesA
August 30th, 2010, 05:36 PM
you've never seen logs of or threads about brute force / scripted attacks against, say, ssh on PC's with a public IP address, or threads about trouble with VNC and weak passwords ?

Pretty sure most of those attacks are due to having vino/ssh allowed access to the internet without being properly secured. There are bots that do constant port scans and if they see a service running, they'll try to get in.

cascade9
August 30th, 2010, 05:50 PM
Not anymore, Sony removed Linux, and I think the military updated the PS3s and lost their clustering ability. I may be wrong, it's hard to tell what actually happened from PS3 fanboy conspirators .

Nope. The PS3s are stull up and running, the military doesnt hook them up online, so no need for sonys dodgy firmware update.

http://www.tgdaily.com/games-and-entertainment-brief/49779-ps3-firmware-update-causes-headaches-for-us-air-force

Social engineering > brute force. The users are the weakest link.

As always. Nature has never given up on the idea of building better idiots. ;)

pwnst*r
August 30th, 2010, 06:00 PM

On it!

Lol, this.

koenn
August 30th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Pretty sure most of those attacks are due to having vino/ssh allowed access to the internet without being properly secured. There are bots that do constant port scans and if they see a service running, they'll try to get in.

yes, and they don't need passwords for that ?

CharlesA
August 30th, 2010, 09:14 PM
yes, and they don't need passwords for that ?

Most attacks are dictionary based, so if you use a crappy password, it's your own fault.

koenn
August 30th, 2010, 09:20 PM
Most attacks are dictionary based, so if you use a crappy password, it's your own fault.

my point, earlier, was that a password testing website could be an effective mechanism to populate word lists for dictionary attacks.

M93
August 30th, 2010, 09:36 PM
It would take
About 565,892,495,532 nonillion years
for a desktop PC to crack your password

of course its not my password :D
i was just trying to get a big number..funny :D:D

kpkeerthi
August 30th, 2010, 09:49 PM

I too confirmed this with both Firebug and some visual inspection of the code. I see nothing unusual.

pricetech
August 30th, 2010, 10:00 PM
Just passing through.

<farce>
My password is gribbinfarglezump. See if you can crack it.
</farce>

Famicube64
August 30th, 2010, 10:05 PM
Heh, password for my spam email accounts would take a quadrillion years to crack. Somehow I doubt that.

corrytonapple
August 30th, 2010, 11:07 PM
Yeah, they think, "Who would use such a simple password?" and go out of their way doing advanced things when it could have been hacked years ago.

I thought that was you for a second. :(
So did I.
This thing is not accurate.

sandyd
August 31st, 2010, 01:40 AM

linked on that site.

you ready?....

30 seconds!

wow! lol

Crazy.

it will take YEARS for anyone to crack my password. because there is no type in password. You need my phone, and my (Secret) GPG key before you can login

RainPhantom
August 31st, 2010, 02:21 AM
it will take YEARS for anyone to crack my password. because there is no type in password. You need my phone, and my (Secret) GPG key before you can login

That sounds very secure, how long does it take to login?

sandyd
August 31st, 2010, 03:23 AM
That sounds very secure, how long does it take to login?
5 seconds.
Computer detects cell and asks for GPG key. I drag it into the window that opens up on my android, and it transmits the key to the computer.

Jonny87
August 31st, 2010, 03:26 AM
5 seconds.
Computer detects cell and asks for GPG key. I drag it into the window that opens up on my android, and it transmits the key to the computer.

That sounds like the type of secutrity that I want on my system.

sandyd
August 31st, 2010, 03:28 AM
That sounds like the type of secutrity that I want on my system.
it took me all summer to make the two apps -_-

CJ Master
August 31st, 2010, 03:34 AM
"aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa"

Will apparently take about 8 octillion years to crack.

Jonny87
August 31st, 2010, 03:35 AM

So you made them yourself did you? So could they be used on other systems or is that just specific to your set up?

wojox
August 31st, 2010, 03:46 AM

You should try selling it in Ubuntu Software Center for Ubuntu 10.10 :)

sandyd
August 31st, 2010, 03:47 AM
So you made them yourself did you? So could they be used on other systems or is that just specific to your set up?
setup specific.
I use gentoo.

Jonny87
August 31st, 2010, 03:48 AM
"aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa"

Will apparently take about 8 octillion years to crack.

Year the whole thing works of the length. It doesn't really have anything to do with the contents of the password its self.

sandyd
August 31st, 2010, 03:54 AM
I put my old secret GPG key in (4x1024 bits) (As stated above, I use my GPG key for logging in)

My HD is going to die before you crack the password.

see how secure I am? :D

More secure than yours CJ :D

cprofitt
August 31st, 2010, 04:19 AM
Not sure how accurate the site is... but it said my password would take... About 20 quintillion years Then again it is now in a Rainbow table and will take less than 3 days. goes to change his password again.

CharlesA
August 31st, 2010, 05:02 AM
5 seconds.

Wow that's pretty cool. :D