PDA

View Full Version : iPod Touch, Apps, and Ubuntu?

devondashla
August 29th, 2010, 05:44 AM
For those of you who have an iPod Touch and use Ubuntu ONLY:

How do you add apps to it? I thought the only way to add apps is through iTunes. I'm thinking of getting one, and this is my main concern.

Zorgoth
August 29th, 2010, 07:18 AM
As long as the iPod itself is connected to a Wifi network, it can connect to the App store on its own.

andymorton
August 29th, 2010, 08:45 AM
Since I stopped using Windows I haven't downloaded music, apps etc with my computer. I just connect to my wireless network with the ipod itself and get them that way.

andy

Dragonbite
August 29th, 2010, 03:16 PM
Banshee is supposed to be able to connect for files and music, so if it can download and run apps itself that is actually not so bad.

Still wish there was a non-tablet, Android/MeeGo/Ubuntu/ChromeOS based music player (and much more) available.

Jesus_Valdez
August 29th, 2010, 03:38 PM
You can download apps directly from the App Store, and the music and files you can do it from Ubuntu.

Just remember that on the first use it needs to be activate from a iTunes.

lee shore
August 29th, 2010, 03:50 PM
Today I just bought a Nano 16gb black, unlike the Touch and Classic it's flash based so I can take it jogging, atm it's just charging up so not had chance to see what Ubuntu makes of it.

devondashla
August 29th, 2010, 04:20 PM
Today I just bought a Nano 16gb black, unlike the Touch and Classic it's flash based so I can take it jogging, atm it's just charging up so not had chance to see what Ubuntu makes of it.

If it's the generation with the camera, I heard people can't connect their music to it through Ubuntu.

lee shore
August 29th, 2010, 05:47 PM
If it's the generation with the camera, I heard people can't connect their music to it through Ubuntu.

Yes it is 5th generation.

bluebyt
August 29th, 2010, 10:56 PM
Banshee is supposed to be able to connect for files and music, so if it can download and run apps itself that is actually not so bad.

Banshee doesn't supported Ipod touch for the moment.

See post #56

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9621242#post9621242

devondashla
August 29th, 2010, 11:32 PM
Banshee doesn't supported Ipod touch for the moment.

See post #56

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9621242#post9621242

Actually, yes it does support iPod Touch.

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/08/omg-thats-so-2009-banshee-now-plays.html

MABodie
August 30th, 2010, 06:24 PM
I just went through this last week. As far as I can tell, you need wi-fi. *If* you have wi-fi, then you can use the itouch without a computer interface. You still need a computer to charge the itouch via USB cable.

When I called Apple last week to order the itouch (because I'd had problems ordering via their website), the phone rep said it would be "no problem" to use the itouch download the specific apps I wanted even though we are a Linux household without wi-fi. After the itouch arrived, I couldn't get it to work for apps and called apple support. After many go rounds, the answer came down to 1) I think you can do it but we aren't allowed to help you through the process if you don't have Windows or Mac and 2) you should go to an apple store so they can initialize the itouch for you and then you (meaning me) can download the app.

(n.b. I wanted to download a pre-school app for my daughter who has some developmental challenges.)

murderslastcrow
August 30th, 2010, 07:49 PM
My brother uses the app store on the phone, works like a charm. There don't seem to be many limitations, although he's quite into jailbreaking as well. Not something I'd expect, really.

scouser73
August 30th, 2010, 08:31 PM
For those of you who have an iPod Touch and use Ubuntu ONLY:

How do you add apps to it? I thought the only way to add apps is through iTunes. I'm thinking of getting one, and this is my main concern.

I add apps to my iPod Touch using a wireless router and then clicking the Apps Store icon on the iPod Touch.

Dragonbite
August 31st, 2010, 02:12 AM
I just went through this last week. As far as I can tell, you need wi-fi. *If* you have wi-fi, then you can use the itouch without a computer interface. You still need a computer to charge the itouch via USB cable.

When I called Apple last week to order the itouch (because I'd had problems ordering via their website), the phone rep said it would be "no problem" to use the itouch download the specific apps I wanted even though we are a Linux household without wi-fi. After the itouch arrived, I couldn't get it to work for apps and called apple support. After many go rounds, the answer came down to 1) I think you can do it but we aren't allowed to help you through the process if you don't have Windows or Mac and 2) you should go to an apple store so they can initialize the itouch for you and then you (meaning me) can download the app.

(n.b. I wanted to download a pre-school app for my daughter who has some developmental challenges.)

So instead of requiring to use iTunes to initialize it, you can do that in the Apple store instead?

Cam42
August 31st, 2010, 02:30 AM

iPod touch uses flash memory