PDA

View Full Version : who upgrades often and who leaves well enough alone

inobe
August 29th, 2010, 05:07 AM
i can't leave it alone, i need to upgrade often, from kernels to de, it's a must, an addiction.

i do it because i like testing especially when i have lots of time to spare.

handy
August 29th, 2010, 05:45 AM
I upgrade usually everyday, I run both the stable & development kernel in parallel & usually use the development packages associated with the open source ATi GPU support.

It is all pretty easy to do on a rolling release system, (Arch in my case) you just enable whatever repos & follow the thread where people know more than you do yourself about whatever...

Legendary_Bibo
August 29th, 2010, 05:51 AM
I have my updates to appear every two weeks so it feels special. I hate kernel upgrades though because then I have to reinstall my Wacom drivers which basically involves clicking on a shell script I made, but I like having a clean update list.

handy
August 29th, 2010, 05:58 AM
In about 2.5 years of using Arch (on at least one machine, I usually run 2 on Arch, one nVidia & one ATi) I've had problems due to the kernel a few times.

The first time was when I learned the easy method of downgrading packages in Arch.

Provided you keep the installation .tar.gz files for all of your currently installed packages in your cache. It just takes a matter of taking 2 or 3 minutes to downgrade, multiple files if necessary.

cariboo
August 29th, 2010, 07:46 AM
I always run development versions on at least three systems, I usually update/upgrade 3 times a day on each system.

Khakilang
August 29th, 2010, 08:01 AM
I usually update so that my system is secure from any virus. Its not that I am afraid of virus just a precaution. And I am not experience enough to mess with the Kernel. I don't want to end up formating the whole computer. Maybe I do it on an older computer when I have the time.

lisati
August 29th, 2010, 08:04 AM
I don't normally give much thought to Ubuntu updates unless something pops up on the screen or a notice an alert when loggging into my server. On Windows, I usually apply AV updates manually and that's about it.

Madspyman
August 29th, 2010, 08:36 AM
I'm a total update addict, I run update manager more than twice a day and if says there are no updates I double check by pressing mark all updates in synaptic. I also have another desktop machine and a laptop, so same routine for those, also my gf usually leaves well enough alone so I usually end up running her updates as well.

halj32
August 29th, 2010, 08:41 AM
@Legendary_Bibo
why dont you install dkms if your using K/Ubuntu Mint etc then you wont have to reinstall your drivers every time you do a kernel update

rjbl
August 29th, 2010, 09:10 AM
At the moment Update is set to be offered daily and run as offered - just testing the Ubuntu Update facility. Zero issues have arisen so far. Don't know whether to bother updating after 10.04LTS goes out of support in three years time.

rjbl

Naiki Muliaina
August 29th, 2010, 09:47 AM
Work PC's get left on LTS. By the time a new LTS comes out I like to give them all a good clean up, spit and polish, and just re install a the new LTS.

Home PC I have 1 TB drive kept on LTS for a nice stable back up, 1 I upgrade to every new release, and one drive I upgrade daily through alpha, beta and release.

Legendary_Bibo
August 29th, 2010, 09:48 AM
@Legendary_Bibo
why dont you install dkms if your using K/Ubuntu Mint etc then you wont have to reinstall your drivers every time you do a kernel update

I do have DKMS installed. It's not really an issue, I just like to be whiny. :D

The Wacom drivers aren't in the kernel anymore so whenever there's a kernel update the wacom drivers are over written, the script I have just recompiles them into the kernel I think. It takes a few minutes, and for my tablet to work I think I just have to log off or restart or something, but considering it's on a laptop it's not a problem.