PDA

View Full Version : I was bored so I made this wallpaper

Legendary_Bibo
August 29th, 2010, 03:30 AM
It's for Maverick Meerkat. I'll probably mess around with it some more, but I think it looks good. I want to kind of lighten some parts of it up maybe.

I tried very hard, and I just could not fit orange in there. I really tried, I even had a sun coming out in the background that I made orange and no matter what I did, it just looked very bad. Using GIMP to put in lens flares just made it look cheesy as well.

I also feel dumb because I didn't make it for wide screen (I have a widescreen laptop), but I think I can easily fix that.

When I'm completely done, I'll probably put it up on here. (gnome-look.org)

Frogs Hair
August 29th, 2010, 04:04 AM
Much better than the " official " wallpaper I saw here.

Giant Speck
August 29th, 2010, 04:05 AM
This is some kind of joke, right?

Legendary_Bibo
August 29th, 2010, 04:10 AM
This is some kind of joke, right?

What's a joke? That I was bored and started working on a wallpaper? I'm not done with it mind you. I liked how some of the older wallpapers looked and I'm trying to bring that feel back into it.

Also it's more clearer as a png. I actually had a resized 1024x768 version, but the forums resized it and turned it into a jpeg because it was too large of a file.

bug67
August 29th, 2010, 05:07 AM
I like it. It reminds me of Intrepid Ibex's wallpaper. I remember it taking me like a month before I figured out that that "coffee stain" was an ibex. :)

The purple though? Makes my eyes bleed.

Legendary_Bibo
August 29th, 2010, 05:55 AM
The purple though? Makes my eyes bleed.

That's the part I'm still messing with. :D

I agree with you there, that's just the background, and I've been messing around with it, but I decided to do the background last. The hard part was getting the meerkats with the African background in there, and look subtle. I'm trying to incorporate orange with purple, along with some black and white. The purple and orange are really hard to work with.

hhh
August 29th, 2010, 06:03 AM
It's because purple and orange is a garish color combination. I haven't taken color theory classes, but I'm starting to think that pleasing color combinations have more to do with what we see in everyday life (especially in nature) than on positions on the color wheel. So, orange and green, an orange tree, blue and tan, a beach, purple and orange, some freaky fish or locust or poisonous frog:^)

kerry_s
August 29th, 2010, 06:07 AM
I was bored

i feel ya, i'm so bored i got pandora playing, i'm downloading some movies to watch & i'm passing the time playing flash games. :(

Legendary_Bibo
August 29th, 2010, 06:14 AM
i feel ya, i'm so bored i got pandora playing, i'm downloading some movies to watch & i'm passing the time playing flash games. :(

I'm not even into making wallpapers! There's just nothing to do except homework, and I avoid that like the plague.

kerry_s
August 29th, 2010, 06:24 AM
I'm not even into making wallpapers! There's just nothing to do except homework, and I avoid that like the plague.

you want to join me? challenge? i'm on level 7.
http://www.popcap.com/games/free/bejeweled2

Legendary_Bibo
August 29th, 2010, 06:26 AM
you want to join me? challenge? i'm on level 7.
http://www.popcap.com/games/free/bejeweled2

you're on!

kerry_s
August 29th, 2010, 06:35 AM
you're on!

alright! you better move quick i'm on level 8 & take breaks at the commercials.
i'm playing the first 1.

Legendary_Bibo
August 29th, 2010, 06:36 AM
alright! you better move quick i'm on level 8 & take breaks at the commercials.
i'm playing the first 1.

crap, I had a minor set back. I use 32bit flash in firefox, and I've always had issues with it. It works perfectly in Chrome at least.

kerry_s
August 29th, 2010, 06:41 AM
i'm using 64 bit ubuntu, so 32bit flash in the nspluginwrapper, using epiphany web browser.

i just died.

Legendary_Bibo
August 29th, 2010, 06:42 AM
i'm using 64 bit ubuntu, so 32bit flash in the nspluginwrapper, using epiphany web browser.

i just died.

I've been playing the unlimited time version.

Edit: I died on level 3 :(

kerry_s
August 29th, 2010, 06:59 AM
Edit: I died on level 3

done that plenty of times. :lolflag:
it will start to pi$$ you off after awhile, thats why i started taking breaks in between. my movies almost done, so i'm going to watch that in a bit. good luck man, you can try some of the other games. :D

Legendary_Bibo
August 29th, 2010, 07:08 AM
done that plenty of times. :lolflag:
it will start to pi$$ you off after awhile, thats why i started taking breaks in between. my movies almost done, so i'm going to watch that in a bit. good luck man, you can try some of the other games. :D

I'm trying the trial of Plants vs Zombies. Apparently it's supposed to work flawlessly under Wine, but I had issues with it. I got it installed but when I start it it brings me to a screen asking to play the trial or buy now, when I clicked on the trial, it closed and brought up a screen only saying "buy now".

kerry_s
August 29th, 2010, 08:51 AM
I'm trying the trial of Plants vs Zombies. Apparently it's supposed to work flawlessly under Wine, but I had issues with it. I got it installed but when I start it it brings me to a screen asking to play the trial or buy now, when I clicked on the trial, it closed and brought up a screen only saying "buy now".

that's why i only play the web versions. that game gets going pretty fast after a while, you'll have sunflowers & sunshine faster then you can click, just remember to have more peas then you have flowers & use those cherris if there all huddled. :D

andymorton
August 29th, 2010, 08:59 AM
It's for Maverick Meerkat. I'll probably mess around with it some more, but I think it looks good. I want to kind of lighten some parts of it up maybe.

I tried very hard, and I just could not fit orange in there. I really tried, I even had a sun coming out in the background that I made orange and no matter what I did, it just looked very bad. Using GIMP to put in lens flares just made it look cheesy as well.

I also feel dumb because I didn't make it for wide screen (I have a widescreen laptop), but I think I can easily fix that.

When I'm completely done, I'll probably put it up on here. (gnome-look.org)

I love it and it's infinitely better than the default for Maverick. I'm looking forward to seeing the final version.

andy:)

Naiki Muliaina
August 29th, 2010, 09:38 AM
Different shade of purple and I would quite like that wallpaper.

I remember an announcement ages ago about Ubuntu not having any animal wallpapers by default after Ibex but cant for the life of me find it. Anyone know (or have a link to) why they are not going to have any more animal wallpapers?

Dragonbite
August 29th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Looks pretty cool! Good job!

Eldera
August 29th, 2010, 03:50 PM
I think your Meerkat wallpaper is beautiful. The only thing that could be improved is the color of the background. I personally would try a golden background because meerkats live in a golden desert. Or is Ubuntu locked in to that Eggplant purple for awhile. Anyway, good job, so far.

Edit: Not brown. I dislike brown even more than I dislike eggplant. Gold is lighter and warmer than brown.

Dragonbite
August 31st, 2010, 02:25 AM
I think your Meerkat wallpaper is beautiful. The only thing that could be improved is the color of the background. I personally would try a golden background because meerkats live in a golden desert. Or is Ubuntu locked in to that Eggplant purple for awhile. Anyway, good job, so far.

Edit: Not brown. I dislike brown even more than I dislike eggplant. Gold is lighter and warmer than brown.

Ironic, then, that now after they've moved to purple they pick a creature more brownish that lives in a more brownish environment?! Well.. tan~ish at least.

Error: Unknown
August 31st, 2010, 03:07 AM
It's okay but I like everythind more downtoned. Is there a "dull and boring wallpaper" site?

I can't find one

RedSquirrel
August 31st, 2010, 03:59 AM
As others have said, the purple is a bit bright, but you've done very well with the meerkats and the African scenery.

Legendary_Bibo
August 31st, 2010, 06:47 AM
Still kind of messing with the background, but here's version 2 or 3 or something. What can go good with a purple background and fits the african scenery? Fireflies!

BrandyBear
August 31st, 2010, 06:52 AM
i would Make wallpapers Like Ledgendary But im crap at Design So...:popcorn::P

Legendary_Bibo
August 31st, 2010, 06:58 AM
i would Make wallpapers Like Ledgendary But im crap at Design So...:popcorn::P
Hehe, I sucked at them too, but I realized that you can make a lot of pretty decent wallpapers by just taking pictures off of google, and cutting out certain parts and pretty much stitching them together, and whatnot.

I have no skills in design whatsoever, I'm going into engineering for that reason.

Presto123
August 31st, 2010, 08:30 AM
I like the new version, but I gots a Suggestion: randomize it in different locations.

(Edited b/c of my lack of reading skills...)

Still kind of messing with the background, but here's version 2 or 3 or something. What can go good with a purple background and fits the african scenery? Fireflies!

smellyman
August 31st, 2010, 09:48 AM

Both are a million times better than the current Meerkat.

Maybe some more people with talent can start making some more and hopefully the powers that be will adopt one of them for the release.

My Avatar would be better...:) It is not a good picture, but if you saw the real one you'd be amazed. It is spilled Coke zero on my white desk....

ilovelinux33467
August 31st, 2010, 11:00 AM
Nice. I like it. Good job!

kaldor
August 31st, 2010, 01:58 PM
I love the direction the design is taking, but the aubergine needs to be more subtle. I can't stand how bright the overall colour is.