PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy a Integrated Open Source Computer/Hardware?

kernel_script
August 29th, 2010, 01:43 AM
EDIT: I'm satisfied with the research results. Thanks to everybody that voted and commented. Thank you very much for taking the time to help with my research.

-------------------

Hi, this is a Market Research I'm doing, I'm a Business Student. And FLOSS user for many years, so, I'm following the path of Open Source Business Model, and would like to know what the users and possible clients think about a Open Sourcce Hardware Computer. Thank you very much in advance for your collaboration.

What such thing is good for? Why should I bother?

Imagine a computer that is created specifically to the Operating System, and vice-versa. It would work as one, no imcompatibility issues, performance maxed out. And no, Apple doesn't do that, they assemble their machines from diferent companies products and technologies, like Intel for the processor, NVIDIA or ATI for videocard, or Foxconn to create the physical case and integration of the components, they don't have their own Hardware factory and Hardware R&D facility, these jobs are made by third-party companies, which is cool, it's not a judgment, just a statement. Apple minimize the hardware imcompatibility issues to a minimum, optimizing their Operating System to work flawless with the integrated Hardware build they did, and on top of that, create a great design for the final product. If it is a good idea, and works nicely, imagine machines that is designed, created (manufactored) and assembled specificaly for the one Operating System and that one Operating System is created and assembled specifically for the machine in question, the end result would be fantastic. (Linux kernel would be the best base technology for the OS here, because of it's high end technology and flexibility, and of course, because of the easy of customizing, and, it been Libre and Open Source).

Been Open Source, means the fail/bug rate would be minimized, since community would spot it, report it, and a design fix would come out very fast, just like it happens with Libre and Open Source Software.

Fast evolution, as in the Libre and Open Source Software principle, with the tight collaboration betwenn companies and the communities involved, changes and improvments suggestions happens all the time, and the best are implemented, everything in a dynamic way.

By been Open Source, means it respects your freedom, and can be adaptable to you or your company, you cam customize it to your needs very easily, since Open Source exist throuth tight collaboration and produces a lot of knowhow and documentation for the methods of dealing with it.

Imagine some series of videocards for these machines, now imagine that one of these series is dedicated exclusively to Blender, imagine how good the performance of such integration would be.

A dedicated PPU.

With so many Open Source aspects, aside from the R&D involved (which sure would be expensive), the final product could be acessible to the majority of people. A fair price for high end technology.

Think about it, then please, vote.

And please, feel free to share your thoughts about it if you want.

Rahbee Kannuhn
August 29th, 2010, 02:06 AM
Sure, and I don't know that I already haven't, never really considered where the bits that get outdated every 18months come from.

gbestrada
August 29th, 2010, 03:39 AM
I say yes , but only if you are able to get extra hardware in the future for upgrades.](*,)

kernel_script
September 2nd, 2010, 05:37 PM
I'm satisfied with the research results. Thanks to everybody that voted and commented. Thank you very much for taking the time to help with my research.

Stancel
September 2nd, 2010, 06:40 PM
How can hardware be "open source" when open source deals with software?

I voted No, it can't beat proprietary in quality.

Frogs Hair
September 2nd, 2010, 07:30 PM
Here is one example , but I would not use it . I will stick with Nvidia for now. http://wiki.opengraphics.org/tiki-index.php