PDA

View Full Version : 10 reasons your kids should use linux

nathang1392
August 29th, 2010, 12:27 AM
dont know if you guys have seen it, but its an article techrepublic. saw a few threads like this and thought it might be some beneficial information.

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/10things/?p=1691

Rahbee Kannuhn
August 29th, 2010, 02:29 AM
/shrug, my kids use both linux and windows. They seem perfectly abnormal like the rest of the world to me.

Dustin2128
August 29th, 2010, 03:14 AM
well rounded education and the ability to see how the system works seem the top two reasons for kids to learn linux for me. Other than that, its standard 'why linux is better than windows and OS X'.

MooPi
August 29th, 2010, 03:32 AM
I particularly liked this line:

Open source emboldens education. It practically screams, “Open me up and learn!”

Dayofswords
August 29th, 2010, 03:46 AM
when i have kids, i'm totally going to make sure they can partition and install at least linux and windows by age 5! and regular expressions by 7!

Ms. Teacher: "Timmy, how was your weekend? did you play ball with your sister"
Timmy: "yes, and we also formated my dad's old phenom II and put our family's derivative of Feduntu* on it and set it up as a NAS"
Ms. Teacher: ":confused:"

*peers over at men in white coats watching my every move*

*Feduntu, a future cross of Ubuntu and Fedora.

Legendary_Bibo
August 29th, 2010, 04:05 AM
When I have kids I'll be getting hardware that's fully compatible with Linux and having them use that. I'll set up the interface in a way that they like rather than telling them to "deal with it". By age five they'll be able to compile a kernel.

kamaboko
August 29th, 2010, 05:27 AM
Here's a thought. What if your kids could care less about computers? I have musician friends and some of their kids could care less about playing an instrument.

radar920
August 29th, 2010, 05:37 AM
/shrug, my kids use both linux and windows. They seem perfectly abnormal like the rest of the world to me.

There is much truth to this... and its funny too.