PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Live CD screen flickers continuously on 10.04.1

cclemon
August 28th, 2010, 11:37 PM
As the title says, when I select the install option on the liveCD, the Ubuntu logo is shown, and the flickering starts. I've tried the vga=XXX option, but no luck. Any experiences? It doesnt' happen with the 9.10 live CD...

mörgæs
August 29th, 2010, 09:08 AM
That is the advantage of using a live CD: Now you know which version to install (if you don't want to carry on experimenting with boot options).

Some screen cards, which were supported in 9.10, lost support in 10.04, but since 9.10 is maintained until april 2011 you will not be ubuntu-less :-)

cclemon
August 29th, 2010, 12:17 PM
I'll try to upgrade to Lucid Lynx from the update manager in 9.10...

varunendra
August 30th, 2010, 06:38 AM
If there's not something so special in Lucid that you really like to have, I'd suggest to stick with Karmik since it seems to support your system 'out-of-box'.

Upgrading sometimes causes problems and as such, mostly a fresh install is recommended. However, it's just a minor risk that I guess you can safely take (if you can reinstall Karmik, just in case :))

I'm sure the driver will also get upgraded while upgrading the system causing the same problem and so you may need to roll back to the earlier one (the one used in Karmik).

Alternatively, you may try to make a fresh install of Lucid, and only replace display driver modules with the ones used in karmik. To determine which driver/modules are in use, you may try lsmod or lspci -v commands.