PDA

View Full Version : Linux smartphones to have 33% if the market within 5 years

Nick_Jinn
August 28th, 2010, 11:34 PM
And who says there is no future for a career in Linux? Its not the 90s anymore. No reason to teach it along side Windows in schools?

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2010/060210-linux-smartphone-to-beat-entire.html?hpg1=bn

"Due to its low cost and ability to be easily modified, Linux in the mobile market today is nearly as disruptive as Linux was in server markets a decade ago," says senior analyst ABI Research Victoria Fodale."

And its not just Android. Palm and Samsung are also producing Linux based operating systems for Smartphones.

An understanding of Linux is probably a good thing to have on your resume for mobile technology.

Nick_Jinn
August 28th, 2010, 11:35 PM
Now that Ubuntu has multi-tocuh, I wonder if we will be seeing an Ubuntu based smartphone.

No wonder Apple is nervous. Ubuntu is better than Ipad software. Its not OSX while Ubuntu is a real desktop operating system efficient enough to run on a mobile unit or arm processor.

Zzl1xndd
August 29th, 2010, 12:14 AM
Totally agree that Linux skills will be important in the future. In truth they are now, Most job postings that come way way now a days want at least some knowledge of Linux. Many companies are using it if only for a File server.

As for Apple, I think they are attempting to keep the market theirs as long as possible. However I don't think they should be scared, if anyone should be at this point it should be MS Smart phones, and devices like the iPads are the future and unless they come out with something very compelling in the near future they maybe stuck on the desktop.

Dr. C
August 29th, 2010, 03:14 AM
And lets not forget Nokia and Meego (http://meego.com/). The N9 may turn out to be a very interesting phone.

Nick_Jinn
August 29th, 2010, 04:39 AM
I am not sure why some people think there is no future or career in Linux....yeah, its free to use, but thats the beauty of it. There are still ways to make money with free software, especially if you are selling services that run on free software, as is the case with phone and cloud apps.

Support is another way.

I think Linux is going to hit the tablet market in a big way.....I dont personally prefer tablets, but I do like my 'dual-book' that has an ereader and tablet in one device.

jrusso2
August 29th, 2010, 04:53 AM
Thats android with the Linux kernel not GNU/Linux which has no future. I already won G/N deskop Linux five year bet already

LMP900
August 29th, 2010, 04:58 AM
Only 33%? Since the introduction of the iPhone, more and more people are shifting towards high-end smartphones. Android already has a strong presence in this segment while webOS and MeeGo will likely see stronger sales with HP and Intel/Nokia's backing respectively. I think the percentage will be much higher.

However, I don't think Apple is nervous. They have the mindshare right now and their marketing and careful attention to user-experience will keep people standing in lines every June for many years to come. A T-Mobile and/or CDMA iPhone will only increase their strength in the U.S.

Nick_Jinn
August 29th, 2010, 05:12 AM
Thats android with the Linux kernel not GNU/Linux which has no future. I already won G/N deskop Linux five year bet already

Nope. Thats not just Android. Palm is another Linux based smart phone. Samsung's version of Linux might be a little closer to GNU Linux.

Linux is making some huge inroads and not just with Android...but Android has certainly made a good introduction.

Samsungs Linux phones are fully open, unlike Android...so yeah, there is a future in Linux.