PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] What did I do? (desktop, FF, ?, to defaults)

Moozillaaa
August 28th, 2010, 11:17 PM
My desktop background went back to the default image, and now, in FF browsing the web, it looks like a fresh install.

My custom background image is still in 'Pictures', and no files are lost...

Where in my logfiles would such a configuration change be logged? (I do Hardy; everything that was on the desktop is still there too???)

My applets disappeared too, from my upper panel.

What could I have deleted, that would remove applets, set FF to defaults with History and cache removed, and remove custom background image, yet leave desktop items in place?

I cannot find my bookmarks, and old FF settings folder(s).

Moozillaaa
August 30th, 2010, 06:06 AM
Anybody? If I could just find my 'old' bookmarks file, or 'old' browse history (library), I'd be okay...

edit:
I found in the 'Trash', a second User directory ( chucknb(2) ). It appears to have what I'm looking for - History, FF configuration settings, etc.

Now, how do I 'move' everything back where it was?

lucaasjohnson
August 30th, 2010, 12:48 PM
This type of problems happend when you delete or remove some wrong files from your system. So first you confirm that you don't deleted such files. If you deleted file restore that file otherwise restore your system from when last it working well. I hope these suggestion work for you.

Moozillaaa
August 31st, 2010, 01:53 AM
That's exactly what happened - I deleted a bunch of old files at once, and obviously included some 'Home' files, with Gnome/FF/configuration settings.

I'm not following you on the 'File Restore' function tho'?

Moozillaaa
August 31st, 2010, 05:07 AM
JOY!

Loaded a LiveCD, and copied / merged / replaced all files.

Gnome config, FF, etc., all restored.

WHEW!!!

Is there a system restore function developed yet?