PDA

View Full Version : looking for open source python project

mo.reina
August 28th, 2010, 10:52 PM
looking for a python project (preferably something a bit small) that is looking for contributors. the small bit is because i've never worked in a team before and haven't really read source code that's 1000s of lines long, so i'm not too sure i can keep up.

my python fu is decent (i think), i recently wrote a small archive/grimoire program (command line only) that can store multiline text with title, tags, and basic search functionality (not using curses so the entry, once entered, can't be modified), entries are stored in a pickle file.

anybody have any suggestions? i'm keen to work on something with others, both for learning and i'd like to do something a bit meaningful, plus i'm sure it's fun.

dv3500ea
August 29th, 2010, 11:19 AM
Look here:
https://launchpad.net/projects/+all
This is a list of launchpad projects, with the newest registered first. Because they are new projects, they will generally still be quite small. Lots of them will be written in python because it is a popular language. Look out for names starting with 'Py'.

nvteighen
August 29th, 2010, 11:32 AM
looking for a python project (preferably something a bit small) that is looking for contributors. the small bit is because i've never worked in a team before and haven't really read source code that's 1000s of lines long, so i'm not too sure i can keep up.

my python fu is decent (i think), i recently wrote a small archive/grimoire program (command line only) that can store multiline text with title, tags, and basic search functionality (not using curses so the entry, once entered, can't be modified), entries are stored in a pickle file.

anybody have any suggestions? i'm keen to work on something with others, both for learning and i'd like to do something a bit meaningful, plus i'm sure it's fun.

Look at my sig! PycTacToe is the project that's going to start a revolution in the software industry! :D

Ok, now seriously: Take a look at it. Although it's quite a stupid thing (a Tic-Tac-Toe "extensible platform"??), more or less something that keeps me a bit busy and coding, you could find it useful to test yourself. It may have some advanced corners, but I guess the vast majority of its code is quite simple for someone who's "fluent" in Python.

ssam
August 29th, 2010, 12:30 PM
you can search sourceforge by language.

http://sourceforge.net/search/?type_of_search=soft&fq[]=&fq[]=trove%3A178&platform[]=Linux

but you might do better to start by trying to fix a bug that annoys you in a piece of software that you use.

juancarlospaco
August 29th, 2010, 05:14 PM
FYI Python-Fu is a Python-Gimp implementation to make Python Gimp Extensions.