PDA

View Full Version : Bootable usb's on public computers

superninja
August 28th, 2010, 10:14 PM
Is there any risk of booting from usb on a public computer? I don't think there is but I'm not sure. And will the owner of the computer get mad/have no idea what you are doing and think that you are screwing up his/her computer? I don't have much experience with these situations...

Dayofswords
August 28th, 2010, 10:16 PM
risk no

if the computer is a library computer, they certainly wont be happy
school computer, probably not care so much
college computer, not care(at least mine doesnt)

superninja
August 28th, 2010, 10:19 PM
Ok cool, thanks :)

mamamia88
August 28th, 2010, 10:21 PM
I did it in college when lucid came out and I couldn't wait to get home

Dustin2128
August 29th, 2010, 12:54 AM
depends on how computer literate the admins are.

C.S.Cameron
August 29th, 2010, 01:04 AM
I'm not sure anyone would be that cool with someone resetting their BIOS without permission.
It gives the user more power than the computers owner probably intended.
It is only harmless if the user intends it to be harmless.
Booting an O/S off a thumbdrive almost seems like something there should be a law against somehow, even if it is your own computer.

CharmyBee
August 29th, 2010, 01:05 AM
And will the owner of the computer get mad

This scenario is most likely. Public computers aren't "do whatever you freaking want!!!" workstations, regardless of the computer literacy its owner is.

pwnst*r
August 29th, 2010, 01:29 AM
This scenario is most likely. Public computers aren't "do whatever you freaking want!!!" workstations, regardless of the computer literacy its owner is.

^This.

Bachstelze
August 29th, 2010, 01:34 AM
Any public computer probably has some rules about what you can and cannot do with it. Read them, or if you can't find them, ask the person who's in charge.

I've never quite understood why some people insisted on having their Linux to do some web browsing and email. Surely you aren't doing important work on a public computer...

Famicube64
August 29th, 2010, 01:54 AM
There is a risk with using a live USB system, since you then have access to files that Windows would otherwise protect (for good reason).

lee shore
August 29th, 2010, 01:57 AM
There is a risk with using a live USB system, since you then have access to files that Windows would otherwise protect (for good reason).

But would'nt the usb OS just be running in the RAM and not touching the HDD that Windows was on?

Old_Grey_Wolf
August 29th, 2010, 02:53 AM
Is there any risk of booting from usb on a public computer? I don't think there is but I'm not sure. And will the owner of the computer get mad/have no idea what you are doing and think that you are screwing up his/her computer? I don't have much experience with these situations...

I would ask permission before booting a computer using a Linux USB. Remember that it is their computer and not users. Yes, they could get mad and assume you are hacking their computer. Even if they don't know what you are doing, you don't know what other people have used to computer for. They could assume you did all the nefarious activity found on the computer.

Old_Grey_Wolf
August 29th, 2010, 02:57 AM
But would'nt the usb OS just be running in the RAM and not touching the HDD that Windows was on?

Well, actually, you can access the Microsoft Windows partition and edit any files you want to. You can edit the registry file if you want to.

That is, if the hard drive isn't encrypted. Which is very probable.

AlphaMack
August 29th, 2010, 03:03 AM
Remember that it is their computer and not users.

This.

Their systems and networks; their rules. Don't like it? Go home and play on your own system and connection.

Old_Grey_Wolf
August 29th, 2010, 03:17 AM
this.

Their systems and networks; their rules. Don't like it? Go home and play on your own system and connection.

+1

PRC09
August 29th, 2010, 03:22 AM
I think most places with public access computers have the Bios locked by password to prevent people from booting other OS.At least the places that I tried have.I did ask the staff but they had no clue what I was talking about and that they had IT people that looked after the computers.....

lancest
August 29th, 2010, 09:15 AM
I've never quite understood why some people insisted on having their Linux to do some web browsing and email. Surely you aren't doing important work on a public computer...

I don't like the risk of somehow leaving my password on a public Windows computer. Being key-logged or (stupidly) having the browser retain it. Using an unfamiliar (IE) browser in a language foreign to you might cause it.

That said the bios will often be locked down anyway.

murderslastcrow
August 29th, 2010, 11:45 AM
To be honest, I do this all the time. With KDE 4, which I would expect people to notice, but the truth is that even OS X from more than 10 feet away could be mistaken for Windows 95.

Also, if you're really worried, just use a theme similar to the OS that you're using, like Gnome's XP themes.

Of course, if they don't want you messing with their stuff, you'll want to obey the rules. But in general, I just use it since its faster, and I'm more comfortable booting into Linux on public computers anyway.

My school has in fact given me permission to run Kubuntu from a LiveUSB after I explained it for a brief moment. Part of my excuse was that my files are on it, of course. XD

eriktheblu
August 29th, 2010, 02:53 PM

Internal HDDs are very mountable from a USB boot. This is actually who I backup my work computer since they have disabled USB drives in Windows (autorun issues).

I've seen one distro that completely eliminates HDD access, but it is very specific.

nerdopolis
August 31st, 2010, 02:24 AM
That seems to be a misconception that a live cd is 100% safe. With a Live CD there is no way to stop someone from running sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda , which would overwrite the entire hard disk.

http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/21545/

Disclaimer: don't not run the above command, its destructive and was only meant as an example.

mamamia88
August 31st, 2010, 05:02 AM
Honestly I don't see the problem with it as long as you don't do it with malicious intent. If they didn't want you to do i they would have disabled the option