PDA

View Full Version : 11.04 needs a native Dock.

Cam!
August 28th, 2010, 09:56 PM
I just realized that a majority of Ubuntu users often ditch the bottom panel for something like Docky or AWN. This is making me wonder: Why can't Canonical find a way to incorporate a dock-like App manager, without blatantly copying Mac OS X? Microsoft nailed down a good, semi-related thing with W7's superbar.

Perhaps there could be a semi-circle at the bottom of the screen, or something?

TyrantWave
August 28th, 2010, 10:00 PM
No. Just no.

Cam!
August 28th, 2010, 10:15 PM
Please tell me why.

mamamia88
August 28th, 2010, 10:18 PM
I don't think it does i've never cared for docks. install one if you wish

Finalfantasykid
August 28th, 2010, 10:20 PM
The Mac OSX style dock takes up way too much space IMO. While it looks nice with it's cool 3d effect and animations, it is not practical. I have installed AWN many times thinking I might actually find it usefull, but everytime I have found myself deleting it about an hour later because it is pretty pointless.

Jesus_Valdez
August 28th, 2010, 10:23 PM
I use AWN only like a launcher for folders and favorite programs, its on autohide so It's not on my way.

Dayofswords
August 28th, 2010, 10:26 PM
I, for one, dont use a dock. and doubt a majority does, a good number perhaps

The Mac OSX style dock takes up way too much space IMO
with widescreen so common now, vertical space is limited

wewantutopia
August 28th, 2010, 10:30 PM
no dock for me either! thank you.

TriBlox6432
August 28th, 2010, 10:33 PM
Yeah, but what's it matter? Are you worried about not seeing the bottom part of your wallpaper? Don't docks automatically hide behind open windows?

FuturePilot
August 28th, 2010, 10:35 PM
No it doesn't. There are already plenty of docks out there for dock lovers. Personally, I don't like them.

I just realized that a majority of Ubuntu users often ditch the bottom panel for something like Docky or AWN.
I really would like to see some numbers on that.

andymorton
August 28th, 2010, 10:40 PM
I've got to say no as well. Like others, I've tried AWN etc but have always deleted them soon after installation. They are there to download for people who want them but I definitely don't think on should be there by default.
They take up too much space and whilst they make look nice, I don't think docks are anywhere near is practical as the normal panel.

andy:)

Cam!
August 28th, 2010, 10:42 PM
Fair enough. I think then there should be an option allowing the bottom Panel to only display the icons for apps, then.

Dobbie03
August 28th, 2010, 10:57 PM
When I was new to Ubuntu I never used to like the docks. But since instally Docky I havent used a bottom panel in ages. I wouldn't complain if there was a natice dock included in 11.04.

M7S
August 28th, 2010, 11:12 PM
Well, the netbook edition will have unity, which pretty much is a vertical dock and gnome shell will modernise the window management in gnome so perhaps canonical shouldn't add a dock before seeing how that turns out?

Not that I would mind if they decided to include DockbarX in 11.04 ;)

tgm4883
August 28th, 2010, 11:18 PM
I just realized that a majority of Ubuntu users often ditch the bottom panel for something like Docky or AWN.

Did you survey a majority of Ubuntu users?

donkyhotay
August 28th, 2010, 11:31 PM
Did you survey a majority of Ubuntu users?

I'd have said no to the dock in such a survey. The dock is one of my biggest issues with osX and win7. Sure it's sort of convenient but it takes up valuable space on either the taskbar or the bottom of the screen and sometimes interferes when I want a new instance (rather then just bringing it up). With ubuntu I put my most commonly used applications (firefox, thunderbird, nautilus) as shortcuts on the menu bar up at the top. I have just as easy access to the programs I'd want in a dock without having an actual dock interfering with my taskbar.

Well, the netbook edition will have unity, which pretty much is a vertical dock and gnome shell will modernise the window management in gnome so perhaps canonical shouldn't add a dock before seeing how that turns out?

I use ubuntu netbook edition and have no problem with the vertical dock there. It makes sense as it really helps to provide as much workspace as possible on such a small screen without shrinking everything too tiny. I wouldn't want to use it on something with a decent screensize however.

Dayofswords
August 28th, 2010, 11:34 PM
Did you survey a majority of Ubuntu users?(by vote)
rank name . inst ... vote.. old
2090 docky 11876 3387 6931
1707 avant-window-navigator 95202 6151 88389

#<name> is the package name;
#<inst> is the number of people who installed this package;
#<vote> is the number of people who use this package regularly;
#<old> is the number of people who installed, but don't use this package
# regularly;

ClamAV is more popular (1067 clamav-base 187426 22284 158226 )
and VLC (743 vlc 724129 64938 642095)
source: http://popcon.ubuntu.com/by_vote

MadCookie
August 28th, 2010, 11:39 PM
Docks tends to work poorly when a graphics driver is not installed. Unless you have the graphics driver right out of the box, you're experience with Ubuntu + dock will in many cases feel bad.

If you want a dock, install it yourself or find another distro using a dock by default :P

Duncan J Murray
August 28th, 2010, 11:40 PM
No!

I well and truly don't get them - they are such a waste of space!

And auto-hide doesn't count - I think that loses part of the functionality, not to mention it annoyingly popping up when you don't want it to.

Maybe I should give them another try just to make sure...

Duncan.

Dustin2128
August 28th, 2010, 11:44 PM
I've had docks before, I just don't like them. Maybe have a native program, but have it as a preference during installation.

tgm4883
August 28th, 2010, 11:51 PM
(by vote)
rank name . inst ... vote.. old
2090 docky 11876 3387 6931
1707 avant-window-navigator 95202 6151 88389

#<name> is the package name;
#<inst> is the number of people who installed this package;
#<vote> is the number of people who use this package regularly;
#<old> is the number of people who installed, but don't use this package
# regularly;

ClamAV is more popular (1067 clamav-base 187426 22284 158226 )
and VLC (743 vlc 724129 64938 642095)
source: http://popcon.ubuntu.com/by_vote

Even if we combine both of those docks together, the people that actually use them is less that 1%. Which is far less than a majority.

Old_Grey_Wolf
August 28th, 2010, 11:52 PM

How did you come to the conclusion that "a majority of Ubuntu users often ditch the bottom panel for something like Docky or AWN"?

I tried some docks and decided I didn't like them.

Please stop trying to tell me how to use my computer. With Linux, I have the choice.

I will make my desktop as ugly as I want. Thank you very much!!!!

ELD
August 28th, 2010, 11:56 PM
The Mac OSX style dock takes up way too much space IMO. While it looks nice with it's cool 3d effect and animations, it is not practical. I have installed AWN many times thinking I might actually find it usefull, but everytime I have found myself deleting it about an hour later because it is pretty pointless.

Use auto hide, takes up less space then...

lykwydchykyn
August 29th, 2010, 12:01 AM
I say they ditch GNOME for AfterStep and have a wharf.

Cam42
August 29th, 2010, 12:06 AM
Off topic. Whenever I see the OP has posted a thread I think
"Hey, I did not post that"

Then I realize that he has a ! while I have a 42.
hmmm.

Spice Weasel
August 29th, 2010, 12:09 AM
I'd rather have no panels at all than a big ugly dock.

No point including it. It's sooo easy to install.

kaldor
August 29th, 2010, 12:33 AM
By default included? God no.

I'm a Mac user. The dock suits OS X but I get driven INSANE with it on a 13 inch MacBook. It wastes a lot of room, and you cannot shrink it small enough. Autohide is annoying and useless and kinda defeats the purpose of an ever-ready toolchest with all your apps and windows in it. Then it pops up when you're playing a game and you drag something off. What the hell did I just drag off my damn dock?!

No.

It's the same principle as the global menu. Global menus are LIFESAVERS on small screens. On a large screen, it's an annoyance... a big one. Docks are the opposite. On a small screen they take up way too much space... but if you are working on a 21"+ monitor they make things quite convenient.

Overall, Ubuntu isn't OS X. I think the default GNOME panel system is more than suitable, but I would however support a global menu like in the netbook edition once it integrates flawlessly with OpenOffice and Firefox/IceCat/etc.

CarpKing
August 29th, 2010, 01:05 AM
I'd love to see an applet on gnome-panel or gnome-shell that acts like a dock (much as the current gnome-panel has both a window list and a window menu as options), but having one by default probably wouldn't be the best. A lot of people seem to loathe them. I myself have used AWN instead of a window list since 2006.

pt123
August 29th, 2010, 01:23 AM
unity in the next version has a unique accordion style dock

http://design.canonical.com/2010/06/introduction-to-unity-launcher/

Chris1274
August 29th, 2010, 01:34 AM
When I was using windows7 the dock was one of the first things I got rid of. I never used most of the buttons on it and it would always intrude whenever I was moving the cursor near the top of the screen. I much prefer small buttons (that I acutally use) on the panel, leaving my nice clean desktop without any unnecessary clutter.

kerry_s
August 29th, 2010, 04:12 AM
i like docks, hated OS X though, just way to locked down for me.
currently using docky 2.1.0, just wish it had stacks & application menu like OS X.
use to use awn, but the applets crash to much.
cairo-docks okay, just don't need that heavy.

Legendary_Bibo
August 29th, 2010, 04:22 AM
I feel like I'm the only one who uses Cairo-Dock. I could try AWN, but setting up a dock again is a big PITA. Cairo flickers with my graphics card, but I've got fireworks. :D

I think they just need to ditch the two panel thing an rethink it into one panel.

One cluttered panel > Two uncluttered panels

dragos240
August 29th, 2010, 04:26 AM
I like my available vertical space, thank you very much.

Docks use up unneeded resources, like compiz.

Cam!
August 29th, 2010, 04:34 AM
You people are aware that you can have windows overlap the dock, and the dock can autohide, right? I'm a FREAK when it comes to saving vertical space on my desktop.

Legendary_Bibo
August 29th, 2010, 04:36 AM
You people are aware that you can have windows overlap the dock, and the dock can autohide, right? I'm a FREAK when it comes to saving vertical space on my desktop.

I know that, and with Cairo you can set it up to only show up if you hit the corners of the side of the screen you put the dock on.

aeronutt
August 29th, 2010, 04:43 AM
THE reason I use AWN doc is to save vertical space with its 'intellihide' option. Works great.

inobe
August 29th, 2010, 04:54 AM
Fair enough. I think then there should be an option allowing the bottom Panel to only display the icons for apps, then.

i don't think such a thing should be default, i do think it should be an added theme and live amongst other themes of choice.

PhilGil
August 29th, 2010, 05:10 AM
Count me out, as well. I like the way docks look, but (for me) a panel is less fussy and more functional.

Including a theme with a pre-configured dock might please some users, however.

inobe
August 29th, 2010, 05:13 AM
Including a theme with a pre-configured dock might please some users, however.

i see only one problem, the cd will never go to dvd, so i insist that conanical move to dvd to include more features.

kerry_s
August 29th, 2010, 05:13 AM

maybe they need pictures. :D

1. normal maximized window

2. mouse moves to bottom

3. normal desktop view

andras artois
August 29th, 2010, 12:38 PM
It's all about the W7 style bar on the right hand side.

Oxwivi
August 29th, 2010, 01:46 PM
That is not a fact. Just knowing a few people who uses a dock doesn't mean it can apply to the general user. I suggest a poll be taken asking if they use a dock or not.

wkhasintha
August 29th, 2010, 01:49 PM
I for one, find docks are useful and add style to desktop. It has been long time since I deleted the bottom panel. put up a poll and see how it goes.

wkhasintha
August 29th, 2010, 02:30 PM
I feel like I'm the only one who uses Cairo-Dock. I could try AWN, but setting up a dock again is a big PITA. Cairo flickers with my graphics card, but I've got fireworks. :D

I think they just need to ditch the two panel thing an rethink it into one panel.

One cluttered panel > Two uncluttered panels

+1 for Cairo :popcorn:

V for Vincent
August 29th, 2010, 02:32 PM
Forum polls aren't representative. I'm a big fan of docky, but I don't think anything like it should be included by default. Plus, unity looks pretty dockish.

Frogs Hair
August 29th, 2010, 04:11 PM
I use a dock , but this is an extra and should be installed by choice. Who would decide what dock is to be used ?

jemmah
November 8th, 2010, 08:18 PM
a dock is a personal thing, like your wallpaper, you should do it yourself if you are a dock person, like me and you.

PuddingKnife
November 8th, 2010, 09:15 PM
Im no stick in the mud, I'd be all for it. I think the 2 panel look is atrocious and outdated, and the first thing I do is delete both of them in favor of AWN, which autohides. Now talk about saving space!

lykwydchykyn
November 9th, 2010, 04:52 AM
This discussion is a bit moot now, seeing as 11.04 will use the Unity shell, which has some kind of dockish appendage by default, if I'm not mistaken.

You can get a look at it here:

http://arstechnica.com/open-source/reviews/2010/05/exclusive-hands-on-with-ubuntus-new-unity-netbook-shell.ars

Windows Nerd
November 9th, 2010, 04:57 AM
Is it that hard to:

ctrl+f2
type terminal
hit enter
type "sudo apt-get install awn/docky/other_dock_name"
hit enter
type your account password
hit enter
hit y
hit enter.

bamadee boom. You have a dock. You could install one faster than it took to write that first post of yours. Or better yet, save valuable developer time to integrate one. Linux is about choice and freedom: if you don't like something, change it yourself. No one is going to stop you.

kerry_s
November 9th, 2010, 05:04 AM
:lolflag:

it's all moot, if unity is the next desktop, guess what there's a dock. :)

Khakilang
November 9th, 2010, 05:12 AM
This look like it should have been a poll instead. Those that prefer dock say "Yes" and those that against it will be "No". I would say no.

kerry_s
November 9th, 2010, 05:19 AM
This look like it should have been a poll instead. Those that prefer dock say "Yes" and those that against it will be "No". I would say no.

why? your vote don't matter.

all you anti-dock people can wait, then bitch about the fact you'll have to install something else cause you don't like the dock.

at least 1 person got there wish.

Windows Nerd
November 9th, 2010, 05:22 AM
I anticipate that the first thing I do on a unity desktop is remove it if it doesn't tickle my fancy.

Heck, I might just move my laptop over to Arch too...

Khakilang
November 9th, 2010, 05:29 AM
Just because I say "No" doesn't mean I am against it. I have try AWN on 10.10 and it's look pretty cool. But I seldom touch it except for only a few Apps I normally use. So I have no use for it. Beside I can put those Apps on the desktop and set my mouse to a single click. Maybe you can change the poll from "Yes" and "No" to "Use" and "Don't use". If that makes you feel better.

Oxwivi
November 9th, 2010, 07:25 AM
No to docks in general, but AWN Lucido, panel mode hotter than W7 taskbar!

ssj6akshat
November 9th, 2010, 07:47 AM
Unity has a dock launcher that looks and works like somewhat a cross between a bock and win 7 superbar.

kerry_s
November 9th, 2010, 08:14 AM
Just because I say "No" doesn't mean I am against it. I have try AWN on 10.10 and it's look pretty cool. But I seldom touch it except for only a few Apps I normally use. So I have no use for it. Beside I can put those Apps on the desktop and set my mouse to a single click. Maybe you can change the poll from "Yes" and "No" to "Use" and "Don't use". If that makes you feel better.

my bag, didn't mean nothing offensive. now that i'm sobering up doesn't seem as funny. :)

i'm personally an adaptive type it doesn't matter to me, i use what ever's available.

(thank god, for spell check) :lolflag:

GabrielYYZ
November 9th, 2010, 09:37 AM
my bag, didn't mean nothing offensive. now that i'm sobering up doesn't seem as funny. :)

i'm personally an adaptive type it doesn't matter to me, i use what ever's available.

(thank god, for spell check) :lolflag:
agnosticism/atheism don't look that bad after all... :lolflag:
disclaimer: no offence meant to anyone in any way, shape or form, just found the contradiction amusing.

kerry_s
November 9th, 2010, 09:51 AM
agnosticism/atheism don't look that bad after all... :lolflag:
disclaimer: no offence meant to anyone in any way, shape or form, just found the contradiction amusing.

at that time i was thinking what the hell, looks like i just rolled my hands on the keyboard, that's how bad i was typing, i'm still a little foggy. :)

i was thinking i should stop drinking or drink more often, lost my thought. :lolflag:

Johnsie
November 9th, 2010, 10:00 AM
No dock needed. The panels are good enough. I put both my panels at the bottom of the screen.

You'll be getting your side dock (*cringe*) with Unity. I'm not a big fan of this because it will get in the way more than a panel at the bottom of the screen. The western user reads from left to right, so the side dock will always get in the way.

bryncoles
November 9th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Also not a fan of Docks, at all. I have used OSX, and the doc is fine if you never use more than four applications, and never have more than four instances of any combination of applications open at any time.

It seems to me however that another solution to the problem which docks are trying to solve is found in the application launcher, things such as alt-f2, Gnome-do and Kupfer (I really wish Kupfer was as good as Gnome-do. Stupid Mono). Yes, I know gnome-do has a dock-mode. On my computer however it gnome-doesn't!

These applications sit quietly running as background processes until summoned, and then are perfectly capable of launching your applications. I then use the unnecessary bloat of compiz (which rapidly became central to my way of working) to switch expose style between my open applications.

When Unity becomes standard, maybe I'll explore other window managers (I'm looking at you, openbox...)

NCLI
November 9th, 2010, 01:40 PM
No dock needed. The panels are good enough. I put both my panels at the bottom of the screen.

You'll be getting your side dock (*cringe*) with Unity. I'm not a big fan of this because it will get in the way more than a panel at the bottom of the screen. The western user reads from left to right, so the side dock will always get in the way.
People keep saying this, please provide SOME evidence to support your claim that it is a problem.

Anyway, the Unity launcher will be movable in 11.04, so it's a moot issue.

kerry_s
November 9th, 2010, 01:52 PM
i think unity handles multiple windows just fine.

rg4w
November 9th, 2010, 02:36 PM
No dock needed. The panels are good enough.
Almost.

The only limitation I've found with panels in my own setup is that I really like to move the bottom one to the right side of the monitor to maximize the vertical space so critical on modern widescreens.

But the problem is that in vertical orientation the background is a bit FUBAR. Apparently it's so optimized for being horizontal that there's been no thought to how it looks when it's made vertical, with stripes rendered horizontally across some portions, apparently the beveled edges designed to look nice in a single row in horizontal orientation but just give a "broken" look when vertical. (Yes, I've turned off the default background pattern and replaced it with a solid color - still renders with the bevels).

But that's really about it. I tried Cairo Dock and enjoyed it, but found it to be a bit much for daily use, even after wading through the seemingly-infinite variety of configurations. So I went back to a panel on the right side, and it's generally been very nice (minor cosmetic anomaly notwithstanding).

jemmah
November 10th, 2010, 08:08 PM
:(:(NO, NOT The MISTER PAPER CLIP!! [above]:(:(

Nightstrike2009
November 10th, 2010, 08:29 PM
I am a mint user but I have moved my panel to the top and use docky at the bottom of my screen, I can see the point of this post, but its easy enough to "remove panel" with the bottom panel then follow with:

sudo apt-get install docky

In my case, then set dock to start at start up and voila job done, personally Id like to see ubuntu 11.04 use one but I am happy either way :-)

PS: Don't get me started on Unity, I have a strong dislike for it, to put it mildly. :-(

czr114
November 10th, 2010, 08:38 PM
Have they announced whether the sidebars, docks, and other such stuff will be disabled in unity, as well as the degree of customization in general?

Unity seems to be where the dev attention is going, which should hopefully boost reliability and performance, which is overall a great thing, so long as the eye candy is optional.

CarpKing
November 10th, 2010, 09:57 PM
Have they announced whether the sidebars, docks, and other such stuff will be disabled in unity, as well as the degree of customization in general?

No one knows what Unity will be like in 11.04, because no plans have been announced beyond that it will be completely different than the current Unity. Most likely we'll find out the night before feature freeze and then complain about it for the rest of the development process.

sanderella
November 10th, 2010, 09:58 PM
I read '11.04 needs a native Duck.' duuuuhhhh So here is a nice one.

CarpKing
November 10th, 2010, 10:25 PM

Ubuntu 6.06

lykwydchykyn
November 12th, 2010, 05:44 AM

Are mallards native to the Isle of Mann? Or are we going to have different internationalized versions of ubuntu with ducks native to the respective regions?

CraigPaleo
November 12th, 2010, 06:22 AM

DockbarX is a panel applet that allows this. It's in the repos.

Edit: Oops! I think it may be in the experimental repos. Otherwise, you can get it here: http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/DockbarX?content=101604