PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Can't seem to Partition...

Nu11nV01D
August 28th, 2010, 07:17 PM
Well, I'm running Ubuntu 10.4 off the live CD. I was going to go all-in and do the full install, but I go to (I'm running Windows XP SP3) System Management and find my hard drive and.. There is no option to partition it.

I go to right click it, like in the tutorials I've seen, and there's no option to partition. Just Properties and Help and Open and Explore, none of which do anything. The partition option are greyed out and I can't select them.

I run but a single hard drive, and as far as I know I have the correct admin status to partition things.. There is only one user to choose from.

I know this is sort of a Windows question more than an Ubuntu question, but I was hoping somebody could give me a quick answer.

Nu11nV01D
August 28th, 2010, 08:37 PM
Alright, sorry, I'm an idiot.

I looked up how to partition XP hard drives. Apparently, you can't just right-click it. I downloaded some partitioning software and used it to create a partition on my C: drive. After rebooting a few times it ended up working. Windows ran checkdisk and I found the partition happily unallocated, ready to use.

So I popped in my Ubuntu CD, followed the installation instructions, and here I am!

GRUB came up as planned and I selected Windows. It worked just fine. I promptly restarted and selected Ubuntu. That brought me here. So I solved my own problem.

Sorry. Next time I'll look a bit harder before I post willy-nilly on the forums.