PDA

View Full Version : New laptop

briansvgs
August 28th, 2010, 05:53 PM
Hello,

I am working on finding myself a new laptop. I have been looking at getting a lenovo w510 with the 55++ extended battery. I was going to get the base configuration which comes with an nvidia quadro fx 880, 15.6" 1600x900 lcd, 2gb ddr3 (which I was going to add another 8gb to after purchase), windows 7 64, a dvd +/- rw, 5 hour battery life (with the base 9 cell and not the extended, test ranged from 3.5 -4.5 hours in reviews), gigabit ethernet, and an i5 520m for $1329.00. I was planning on buying 2x4gb sticks of ddr3 for it after purchase, and getting a 500gb hard drive for it, possibly a seagate hybrid.

I am a computer engineering technology student, so I do a lot of programming. I use visual studio 2008 and visual studio 2010,often having multiple instances open at once. I do some video converting on my computers as well. I will be running virtualbox with 2 or 3 virtual machines (one for the current development version of ubuntu (I usually upgrade the entire operating system on the laptop when the beta comes out, but this will let me play with the alphas too), and another for windows 7 for development). I have not yet decided if this machine will be dual boot, although it gets more likely the more I think about it (I would still keep the vm though so I don't have to reboot). I may also do some light gaming on this system (fear, modern warfare 2, company of heroes, and possibly starcraft 2). I also plan on doing some light work with matlab. My question is do any of you have any experience with the seagate hybrids? Are they worth the extra $50? Also, do you think that the i5 is good enough for me or should I upgrade to an i7 quad ($170 or so extra)? I would like to have at least 6 hours of battery life (hence the extended battery), but it is not required. If any of you have a suggestion of a better laptop for a similar price, feel free to mention it.

Thanks,
Brian