PDA

View Full Version : Java be gone?

loveandequality
August 28th, 2010, 05:37 PM
Yesterday there was news that Oracle is going to sue Google for using Java.

what does this mean to my favorite apps like Virtualbox and OpenOffice they both use Java or at least are part of Oracle now.

I guess i have to boycott Oracle now that they are being greedy.

Whats going to happen to open Java?

Here is the news: http://developers.slashdot.org/story/10/08/28/0119257/Google-Backs-Out-of-JavaOne

phrostbyte
August 28th, 2010, 06:31 PM
Nobody is really sure. I personally think Oracle is doing a good job of ensuring Java's market failure. Just when it was experiencing a renaissance of sorts (partly thanks to Google).

Oh well, there is always Mono. :lolflag:

Spice Weasel
August 28th, 2010, 06:40 PM
If I'm right, there will still be OpenJDK/JRE, but no Sun Java (Now called Oracle Java?)

Shpongle
August 28th, 2010, 06:48 PM
I just spent the last year learning java in college :-p ,

Oxwivi
August 28th, 2010, 07:02 PM
I don't wnat Java to be gone, it's one nice piece of ****.

Johnsie
August 28th, 2010, 07:37 PM
Java wont be gone. There's alot of scaremongering going on by paranoid people in tinfoil hats who thought the sky was going to fall in when Oracle bought Sun. Well guess what, it hasn't fallen in. Oracle haven't killed off Java or MySQL. The world is highly dependent on Java and Oracle know it. They will not kill something that gives them so much influence. Java got big because of its business model so I doubt Oracle would do much to change that. What they might do is look for ways to make money off it.. eg. produce an ide that you need to pay for, release a 'premium' version or charge for support.

Dustin2128
August 28th, 2010, 07:42 PM
well I was considering learning java, glad I didn't waste my time, now I can learn C instead... oracle's shooting themselves in the foot by suing google. By the way, I've got a tinfoil visor, does that count? :p