PDA

View Full Version : Rise of new IM protocol?

fontis
August 28th, 2010, 04:47 AM
I was reminiscing the other day upon how much little I use ICQ these days compared to MSN. And as such, even how my IRC usage has declined heavily since I stopped "progaming".

And with that in mind I was thinking, do you guys think that there will be a new shift in the "mainstream" popular IM protocol?
Like how ICQ used to be the *****, and then MSN more or less took over and dominated.

Personally I hope the next protocol is something less "closed" like WLM is but with full featured with all the nice gimmicks (webcam, games etc) along with a sleek user interface. Obviously cross-platform.

TCHebb
August 28th, 2010, 04:59 AM
I quite hope that XMPP will be successful. It's off to a good start with both Google and Facebook using it for chat.

DeadSuperHero
August 28th, 2010, 05:06 AM
I love XMPP / Jabber. Not that many people that I know in real life use it, but just about every geek I get to know personally through here has it.

FuturePilot
August 28th, 2010, 05:11 AM
XMPP does all that stuff. (minus games)

XMPP <3

doorknob60
August 28th, 2010, 05:22 AM
Well, it seems like most of my friends use Skype (even for just typing), but MSN seems very popular too. I hope XMPP gains some more usage, but I don't mind Skype.

fontis
August 28th, 2010, 05:32 AM
Yea well I realize XMPP does all the basic text-to-text stuff but I was thinking more generally in terms of voice/webcam support with games etc. Kind of like what you see in Windows Live Messenger today.

Austin25
August 28th, 2010, 05:46 AM
Sorry, I'm still in favor of irc. Quite a few do this, but sometimes I like to use /whois to find peoples' IP address.

Zzl1xndd
August 28th, 2010, 05:54 AM
Yea well I realize XMPP does all the basic text-to-text stuff but I was thinking more generally in terms of voice/webcam support with games etc. Kind of like what you see in Windows Live Messenger today.

The Google talk version supports Voice and Video.

fontis
August 28th, 2010, 05:57 AM
The Google talk version supports Voice and Video.

I was under the impression that the voice/video feature was only available under the "Gmail" browser application and not present client-wise?

Zzl1xndd
August 28th, 2010, 06:01 AM
I was under the impression that the voice/video feature was only available under the "Gmail" browser application and not present client-wise?

The seem to be supported in Empathy, although I have never used the Client on Windows so I couldn't say if they are.

Austin25
August 28th, 2010, 06:04 AM
The seem to be supported in Empathy, although I have never used the Client on Windows so I couldn't say if they are.
Does it work in pidgin too?

Zzl1xndd
August 28th, 2010, 06:08 AM

I don't believe so.

Austin25
August 28th, 2010, 06:15 AM
I don't believe so.
Darn. Xchat?

Lightstar
August 28th, 2010, 07:05 AM
I was reminiscing the other day upon how much little I use ICQ these days compared to MSN. And as such, even how my IRC usage has declined heavily since I stopped "progaming".

And with that in mind I was thinking, do you guys think that there will be a new shift in the "mainstream" popular IM protocol?
Like how ICQ used to be the *****, and then MSN more or less took over and dominated.

Personally I hope the next protocol is something less "closed" like WLM is but with full featured with all the nice gimmicks (webcam, games etc) along with a sleek user interface. Obviously cross-platform.

I believe today's MSN is still really crappy compared to the ICQ I used 10 years ago.

I mean.. ICQ had that file transfer without stupid warnings and auto-declines. ICQ also could resume file transfers, which was very priceless in the days of dialup.

The only bad thing I could say about ICQ.. is that even 1 year after I stopped using it, I'd still hear imaginary "uh oh" out of nowhere, that thing was haunting me!

Right now, it seems like yahoo is on decline, msn is still strong but more people are moving to googletalk. Skype is still one of my favorite for pc-to-phone calls and also webcam. Though msn beta has nice webcam now.

This is all talking about windows versions.
for linux... i don't see it going anywhere, it's always the same basic features.

aladinonl
August 28th, 2010, 07:11 AM

I think it's only a matter of time before it will work with clients. Google "seems" to be implementing necessary features now and then,like it understands our minds.

Personally I use tokbox.com, works perfectly in linux. And the best thing, that I haven't come across anywhere else, is the offline voice & video message.

fontis
August 28th, 2010, 07:19 AM
I believe today's MSN is still really crappy compared to the ICQ I used 10 years ago.

I mean.. ICQ had that file transfer without stupid warnings and auto-declines. ICQ also could resume file transfers, which was very priceless in the days of dialup.

The only bad thing I could say about ICQ.. is that even 1 year after I stopped using it, I'd still hear imaginary "uh oh" out of nowhere, that thing was haunting me!

Right now, it seems like yahoo is on decline, msn is still strong but more people are moving to googletalk. Skype is still one of my favorite for pc-to-phone calls and also webcam. Though msn beta has nice webcam now.

This is all talking about windows versions.
for linux... i don't see it going anywhere, it's always the same basic features.

Yea I remember the "uh-oh" sounds haha. I used to love ICQ. I guess the only reason I switched over to msn was because most people on my list switched so it didnt make much sense for me being the only one left. (Or well this process obviously took a tad longer time lol).

I miss ICQ a lot, but whenever I do go back to check up on how it looks now... I get disappointed. I think the 2003b client onwards just got super bloated.

FuturePilot
August 28th, 2010, 07:30 AM

Jingle (http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0166.html)

Tibuda
August 28th, 2010, 12:13 PM

the pidgin devs says it works, but it never worked for me.

Lightstar
August 28th, 2010, 01:33 PM
Yea I remember the "uh-oh" sounds haha. I used to love ICQ. I guess the only reason I switched over to msn was because most people on my list switched so it didnt make much sense for me being the only one left. (Or well this process obviously took a tad longer time lol).

I miss ICQ a lot, but whenever I do go back to check up on how it looks now... I get disappointed. I think the 2003b client onwards just got super bloated.

Yeah that's why I switched also, everyone went on MSN, my ICQ list was empty. I still have my number though, 7 digits, newer people have like 2038434 digits!

ICQ was purchased by AOL, that's when things went downward. It's odd a company would want 2 messengers. Maybe they weren't happy with their own AIM.

TCHebb
September 8th, 2010, 12:16 AM
Supposedly both voice and video work in Pidgin, but I've only gotten voice to work. I'm suspecting it's something to do with GMail's video codecs, as the person I was testing with was using the browser-based client. If you use Google Talk and have a web browser open all the time, Google released a version of the GMail voice/video for Linux recently.

Jesus_Valdez
September 8th, 2010, 12:25 AM
OH GOD THE "UH OH"

I keep hearing it every time I receive a new IM message.