PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How do you create a disk image? Also, uninstall drivers.

garycheng12
August 28th, 2010, 04:38 AM
Basically, I want to be able to create the perfect disk image of a CLEAN Ubuntu installed in a 30 gb partition. The problem is, if I install Ubuntu, then some drivers are installed automatically. I am using an old computer at the moment (my main is back at home) and I want to be able to create an image so that when I restore that image onto my main computer, it is not cluttered with drivers of the old computer. Is there a method that can be used for uninstalling drivers?

I am looking for the cleanest way to uninstall drivers, hopefully to the point where it will not leave any "residue"

That is my first question. My second question (in general about disk image--I have never actually created nor restored an image):

Can I create an image of partition A and restore the image on partition B? Basically, creating an image of one partition and restoring it on another partition. Or does it have to be restored on the original partition?

Also, what if it is the same scenario but partition B is a larger size? I know that if partition B is smaller, it cannot be done because the image is larger than the partition.

Finally, can partition A be restored onto a different hard drive?

I have yet to find answers of these questions on different forums in other sites (this is my 3rd try). I know that the Ubuntu community is extremely active and more than willing to share their knowledge =)

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

garycheng12
August 28th, 2010, 05:45 PM
Any thing to post? I really want to get started with Ubuntu... thanks.

xircon
August 28th, 2010, 06:18 PM
Don't know if this helps:

http://www.webupd8.org/2010/08/create-full-system-backup-or-custom.html

garycheng12
August 28th, 2010, 06:54 PM
Ehh, not really what I'm looking for but thanks for the input.

Also, I plan to use the file system NTFS for Ubuntu, since this will allow me to read/write files flawlessly and seamlessly with Windows. Is there anything I need to do manually to ensure a faultless way to transfer files between the two operating systems?

Ex. ntfs-config