PDA

View Full Version : Dell sucks

Mariane
August 28th, 2010, 04:36 AM
They used to be good at providing Linux drivers but now they offer the choice between windows or windows. Some choice :( .

They won't even let you send an email to support if you bought your computer outside of the US. They tell you to contact the support in the country where you bought it. So if you don't speak the language of this country you're screwed. I didn't care about the original language of this computer because I knew I was not going to let it boot even once under windows. I never dreamed that I would be barred from English-speaking support sites if I bought my laptop in another country.

Phoning abroad and waiting one hour on the phone is not an option. Too expensive. So Dell customer support cannot be contacted, full stop.

I have a Dell laptop and a Dell external monitor, but next time I'll buy some other brand.

Mariane

an0dos
August 28th, 2010, 04:49 AM
Yeah Dell sucks.

Delvien
August 28th, 2010, 05:31 AM
They used to be good at providing Linux drivers but now they offer the choice between windows or windows. Some choice :( .

They won't even let you send an email to support if you bought your computer outside of the US. They tell you to contact the support in the country where you bought it. So if you don't speak the language of this country you're screwed. I didn't care about the original language of this computer because I knew I was not going to let it boot even once under windows. I never dreamed that I would be barred from English-speaking support sites if I bought my laptop in another country.

Phoning abroad and waiting one hour on the phone is not an option. Too expensive. So Dell customer support cannot be contacted, full stop.

I have a Dell laptop and a Dell external monitor, but next time I'll buy some other brand.

Mariane

How dare you buy their products in non-US countries! srsly.

I feel for you, but hp/ibm/dell all work about the same unfortunately.

Mariane
August 28th, 2010, 05:54 AM
What gives them the right to decide which country is my country? I once bought a toothbrush on a ferry, does that make me a fish?

Austin25
August 28th, 2010, 06:02 AM
Yeah, most large computer companies do. I suggest building your computer next time, or find a smaller company like system76.

Delvien
August 28th, 2010, 07:12 AM
Yeah, most large computer companies do. I suggest building your computer next time, or find a smaller company like system76.

You cant custom build a laptop :P

And system76 is waaaaaay too expensive for the hardware they throw at you.

Ctrl-Alt-F1
August 28th, 2010, 07:19 AM
Dell sucks

Thanks for noticing. :popcorn:

Elfy
August 28th, 2010, 08:30 AM
moved off topic posts

pommie
August 28th, 2010, 08:40 AM
So Dell customer support cannot be contacted, full stop.

Mariane

Sorry but you are wrong, you can contact customer support of the country you bought it in, you just have to get some-one to act as translator for you, what do you expect, that all customer service departments have some-one who can speak every language in the world, just in case a foreigner phones in ??? get real.

Cheers David

Mariane
August 29th, 2010, 04:17 AM
Yeah sure, next time I'll feel like phoning halfway round the world I might try this.

This is really silly, they could simply let you contact whichever support team it is most convenient for you to contact. It's not as if the computers were different from one country to the next, is it?

kamaboko
August 29th, 2010, 07:01 AM
Yeah sure, next time I'll feel like phoning halfway round the world I might try this.

This is really silly, they could simply let you contact whichever support team it is most convenient for you to contact. It's not as if the computers were different from one country to the next, is it?

No, but the support centers are likely under different contracts.

Khakilang
August 29th, 2010, 08:10 AM
In my country there is no Linux support from Dell like in the US. Every model is package with Windows. You even can't buy it without Window install and install your own Linux. That is why I prefer to build my own so that it run Linux comfortably.